2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dealer damaged my 3 day old car

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Ehhh that's suck!!! I just learned that my dealer crashed my fit 3 months ago at delivery... The entire front end was damaged and repainted explaining why my car is mis-aligned, eat's tires like crazy, rattles like crazy, etc!! Plus, they forgot to install some freaking plastic pieces underhood...

Marko!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
Ehhh that's suck!!! I just learned that my dealer crashed my fit 3 months ago at delivery... The entire front end was damaged and repainted explaining why my car is mis-aligned, eat's tires like crazy, rattles like crazy, etc!! Plus, they forgot to install some freaking plastic pieces underhood...

Marko!!
That's insane. I smell a lawsuit.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm gonna take a couples of days off (At my charge!!! Ehhh!!!!!), go see my lawyer and decide if i'm gonna ask for a (Real!!) brand-new car or a refund and go buy something else (Maybe a suzuki SX4 AWD!)

We'll see!!

Marko!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'm gonna take a couples of days off (At my charge!!! Ehhh!!!!!), go see my lawyer and decide if i'm gonna ask for a (Real!!) brand-new car or a refund and go buy something else (Maybe a suzuki SX4 AWD!)

We'll see!!

Marko!!
The Suzuki SX4 AWD's are pretty cool, but at the expense of fuel economy. (21/28 for both AT & MT) Good luck! Either way I'm sure you'll be upgrading to a real nice car after this experience...

Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Well my Fit isn't very econo either at something like 10 11l\100km... My neon used to do something like 7 - 8l\100km so milleage wise, the fit is a big disapointement... Plus, working at a suzuki dealer, i have a discount!! The SX4 would cost me like 50$ less a month (Manual\AWD) my fit is Auto!

Marko!!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM
it says that im usually around 10 l/100 on mine too but i did the math and around town i'm actually getting 7ish so maybe it's the cold but they don't seem like its 100% acurate

Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i'd take the $260, go to Michael's artsy fart store and get some EZ felt, cut it to
size and hot glue the opening.

and keep the $257 for something else...

Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Here in Maryland the dealer is required to disclose damages at the time of sale if the damages total $250 or more.

This applies only at the dealer level. The manufacturer is not bound by disclosure laws. If the vehicle falls off the carrier at the plant and suffers serious damage, they can repair the vehicle and tell nobody, not even the dealer.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
If I were you I'd get some money to compensate for their screwing up your carpet and then forget about it. The clips in the rear are totally unnecessary and will be covered by the mats. However, I understand it being hard to swallow.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:44 AM
In California, they can't sell a car as new if it has been in an accident.

I used to work at a car dealership and one of the detailers backed one brand new car into another...

Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
If I were you I'd get some money to compensate for their screwing up your carpet and then forget about it. The clips in the rear are totally unnecessary and will be covered by the mats. However, I understand it being hard to swallow.
There are no rear clips for the 2009 mats. There is one "tab" on the mats that slides between the body and the carpet on the outer side of each mat. And there is nothing for the passenger front side at all.

I posted a link to the pdf so you can see what the instructions show.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i'd take the $260, go to Michael's artsy fart store and get some EZ felt, cut it to
size and hot glue the opening.

and keep the $257 for something else...
Except the carpet is what holds the anchor, which holds the mat. Without the carpet making a loop, there is nothing to attach the anchor to.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, had my own Fit aligned today! It was misaligned like crazy!!

Before!
Toe Left - -0.42°
Toe Right - 0.04°

After!
Toe Left - 0.00°
Toe right - 0.00°

That should help on milleage!!! Not to mention now my steering wheel is centered!!

Marko!!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Well, had my own Fit aligned today! It was misaligned like crazy!!

Before!
Toe Left - -0.42°
Toe Right - 0.04°

After!
Toe Left - 0.00°
Toe right - 0.00°

That should help on milleage!!! Not to mention now my steering wheel is centered!!

Marko!!
That should definitely help! Good job!

And I cannot stand an off center steering wheel. Drives me nuts. It's like the whole world is tilted!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I just picked up my fit after having the carpet replaced. It took 12 days. They ended up having to replace the plastic parts that cover the mounts for the seats. The mounts broke when they removed them. I guess they were cold and brittle. Anyway, I'm glad to have it back and I believe I made the right choice in having them replace the carpet instead of accepting $260 in cash and living with holes in my carpet.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
glad to hear you have it resolved. If I had seen this thread sooner, I would have suggested that you mention it's a safety issue and that would have definitely lit a fire under them...

Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I have a strong desire to run to my car right now and check to make sure that it wasn't botched. I think it's good you're getting it replaced, it would cost you a lot more to go elsewhere and I doubt they would cover it.

I'm surprised Honda doesn't install the anchors in the factory. All the dealers I went to talked a lot about Honda's commitment to safety and how they have the 6 airbags in all their cars, etc, but then they make you buy the $150 mats just to get the $2 plastic anchors? It's a major safety concern. My friend's younger brother got brain damage as a kid that's affected him his whole life due to a mat slipping behind the brake.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 AM
My take is that the dealer has owned his end of the deal and is trying to make it whole again. He has offered you options, too. It would seem he is honorable. I do not like that they are talking about docking the installer on this. If he is not an independent subcontractor he is their responsibility to train and supervise, therefore the error is the dealer's. I would give them a chance to make it whole. If they screw it up again, time to look for another dealer for everything you need done on that car.

L8R

Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by jaybirdtke
After having my 2009 Honda Fit Sport for 3 days I had the dealer (23 Honda in Pompton Plains, NJ) install All Season Mats. Instead of cutting slits in the carpet to attach the anchors they cut out squares the entire dimension of the anchor and now the anchors just lift up with the mats. After speaking to service and sales they offered to replace the carpet, or give my about $260 the cost of the carpet, less install, however I do not have much confidence in their ability to complete such an involved repair in light of this experience. I did not want to concede to owning a 3 day old car with this type of repair. I called American Honda Co., Inc. and they told me that dealers are franchises and that American Honda Co., Inc. could not help me. I also have door sill trim and a rear bumper applique waiting at the dealership that they've already been paid to install.
Here are my options:
1. Allow them to replace the carpet and install my door sill trim and rear bumper applique.
2. Accept $260 and allow them to install my door sill trim and rear bumper applique.
3. Accept $260 and request compensation for the installation of the door sill trim and rear bumper applique and have them installed elsewhere or do it myself.
What would you do?
The same thing happened to me! I saw this post and figured that it was a fluke, but then I was vacuuming my car and up comes the mat with the anchor still attached!

The dealer replaced my carpet and gave a free rental (though it was a dodge avenger - shitty!). One thing I noticed after they replaced is is the carpet is very squishy in the rear center, almost like there's a half inch of space between the carpet and the actual floor. We compared it with a new car at the dealership and something was definitely different. For now, they stuck some extra padding underneath it but I don't know if I'm completely happy with that. They said I can come back anytime if I'm unhappy. Did you have any issues?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
To replace the carpet, wouldn't that involve replacing the entire carpeting front to back? And wouldn't that involve heavy disassembling and reassembling of seats and console and other parts? Therefore how can it total only $260? The carpet alone must cost more than that.

And they messed up with the cutting in the first place? How difficult is that? For me it was a 5 minute easy as pie job and I'm no mechanic.

Quick Reply: Dealer damaged my 3 day old car