2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

camber dialed in, no more rubbing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
06 BMW 330i
Too bad they couldn't see that you already posted that.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
for the camber bolts, would you put them in after you get a baseline alignment or before, so that they can go ahead and adjust the camber at the time.

Last edited by Rocks A GD3; 01-22-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Rocks A GD3
for the camber bolts, would you put them in after you get a baseline alignment or before, so that they can go ahead and adjust the camber at the time.
Best time would be prior to alignment, that way the camber dial-in could be precisely measured.

BTW - I dropped my Fit with RS*R springs and had varied rubbing issues with my 17x7.5 +42 Enkei wheels with the same exact tires. I then installed SPC camber bolts and still had issues, maybe slightly improved, after dialing in the full 1.5 degrees one bolt allows. (You can install 2 bolts, upper & lower, and get 3 degrees.)

The rubbing occurs on rough roads and is worse when commuting with wife and child all in the car. When it's just me, it's a tad better. Maybe the people with zero issues are lightweights? I weigh in around 190. The other thing to consider is that I live in Wisconsin, and our roads are slowly but surely starting to look like the roads around Detroit, MI. No money is spent doing adequate repair work, so the roads are extremely rough. Never noticed it was this bad until I started driving a lowered Honda Fit. The Audi S4 with Stasis coilovers did a better job of soaking up the rough stuff, and when I had my lowered Eclipse GSX, I lived in a different town where the roads were newer (better) and that may have masked things.

The moral of the story: if your roads are great, especially if you live outside the snow belt or Canada, you're probably going to be fine lowered, with larger wheels/tires. If not, you will rub at least sometimes - I guarantee it.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by AWDturbo
Best time would be prior to alignment, that way the camber dial-in could be precisely measured.

BTW - I dropped my Fit with RS*R springs and had varied rubbing issues with my 17x7.5 +42 Enkei wheels with the same exact tires. I then installed SPC camber bolts and still had issues, maybe slightly improved, after dialing in the full 1.5 degrees one bolt allows. (You can install 2 bolts, upper & lower, and get 3 degrees.)

The rubbing occurs on rough roads and is worse when commuting with wife and child all in the car. When it's just me, it's a tad better. Maybe the people with zero issues are lightweights? I weigh in around 190. The other thing to consider is that I live in Wisconsin, and our roads are slowly but surely starting to look like the roads around Detroit, MI. No money is spent doing adequate repair work, so the roads are extremely rough. Never noticed it was this bad until I started driving a lowered Honda Fit. The Audi S4 with Stasis coilovers did a better job of soaking up the rough stuff, and when I had my lowered Eclipse GSX, I lived in a different town where the roads were newer (better) and that may have masked things.

The moral of the story: if your roads are great, especially if you live outside the snow belt or Canada, you're probably going to be fine lowered, with larger wheels/tires. If not, you will rub at least sometimes - I guarantee it.

i think your rubbing more cuz you have a more aggressive drop than my car. my drop was 1.8 inches in the front 2 inches in the back. i think the RS*R is like 2.0 in the front and 2.2 in the back. someone correct me if im wrong

Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
That very well could be - these things are often decided by millimeters, of course.

I may still try using another pair of camber bolts and going up to 2, 2.5 or even the full 3 degrees up front to see if that eliminates any rubbing.

It's really not a big deal, even with the rough roads and a frequently loaded vehicle, it's not constant. But it would be nice to get rid of it. With the OEM wheels & snow tires on, it's been non-existent, which is good news for anyone just looking to lower their Fit while using a wheel/tire combo close to OEM in terms of diameter/width/offset.