2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit vs. Civic Hybrid... who will win?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Fit vs. Civic Hybrid... who will win?!

Edmunds.com compares the 2009 Honda Fit sport to the Civic Hybrid. Great video footage and stats with some interesting findings, such as:

It will take a Civic Hybrid owner 26 years to make up the cost difference of a Fit with the gas money they save!

YouTube - Honda Civic Hybrid vs. Honda Fit Sport Comparo

A quick summary of the video...

The Fit wins

Name:  2008HondaFitexterior01.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  15.3 KB

Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
of course. now, look at gas prices... hybrid owners will NEVER recoup their costs now haha

Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 AM
gas wont be 1.45 for long they might sitil win in the long run... time well tell

Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah I saw that video too a while back. It was a good comparison and it made me feel a lot more that my Fit was a better purchase. There's also a comparison video of GD3 and Scion XD, the Fit also won.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Great video review. Yay Fit!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scaldy
Edmunds.com compares the 2009 Honda Fit sport to the Civic Hybrid. Great video footage and stats with some interesting findings, such as:

It will take a Civic Hybrid owner 26 years to make up the cost difference of a Fit with the gas money they save!

The problem with that comparison is its out-of-date.
Early next spring Honda brings a new hybrid Civic to market that costs only a couple of thousand bucks over an equivalent Fit. And it has a lot more room inside, especially the back seat, and gets better mpg than the current hybrid Civic.
Even though gas is back under $2 a gallon, most car owners don't believe it will stay there and near $3 per gallon is what it will reach (check the Saudi Oil Production Minister interview on 60 minutes saying OPEC wants to 'stabilize' crude at $75 per barrel).
The new Civic hybrid is a minimum size to cart today's family around at the minimum gas cost.
That's why the new hybrid Civic will sell in much greater numbers than the Fit, if they can produce enough.
Just in case you wonder, the 'current' Civic sold a lot more cars than did Fit simply because it offered more room at at least equal mpg. The Fit is meant for 2 passenger transportation, the Civic for 4.
Just in case you want to do the math:
A Fit at 32 mpg requires $21.88 per fillup of $2.80 gas at 250 miles.
A hybrid at 42 mpg needs $16.60 per fillup likewise.
Thats $5.28 per fillup difference; it takes 378.8 fillups to make up for the purchase cost differential
of $2000.
If you fill up twice a week as I do thats 189.3 weeks, or 3.64 years. In that 3.64 years I will drive only 48,000 miles. My Hondas have always lasted 150,000 miles or more so I will profit for the last 102,00 miles. Thats 408 fillups I will save $5.28 at least, or $2154. (normal COL will say by then the difference will exceed$6.0 per fillup at $3.50/gal)
Add the extra wholesale value for my Honda hybrid, estimated at least $2000 more than a Fit in equal condition, and I profit by more than $4000. And I had room for the whole family much easier than my Fit does. (We have had 4 Civic sedans/coupes)
And thats why the Fit hybrid, called the Insight (again), will outsell the Fit by a wide margin.
Japanese spy photos show a slightly downsized Civic circa 2004 version. Probably saves a lot on body tooling.

Last edited by mahout; 01-02-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
... The Fit is meant for 2 passenger transportation, the Civic for 4.
I don't know where you got that info. They're both 5 passenger cars and the fit has more cargo room.
And thats why the Fit hybrid will outsell the Fit by a wide margin.
The Fit hybrid doesn't exist.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Early next spring Honda brings a new hybrid Civic to market that costs only a couple of thousand bucks over an equivalent Fit. And it has a lot more room inside, especially the back seat, and gets better mpg than the current hybrid Civic.
Even though gas is back under $2 a gallon, most car owners don't believe it will stay there and near $3 per gallon is what it will reach (check the Saudi Oil Production Minister interview on 60 minutes saying OPEC wants to 'stabilize' crude at $75 per barrel).
The new Civic hybrid is a minimum size to cart today's family around at the minimum gas cost.
That's why the new hybrid Civic will sell in much greater numbers than the Fit, if they can produce enough.
Just in case you wonder, the 'current' Civic sold a lot more cars than did Fit simply because it offered more room at at least equal mpg. The Fit is meant for 2 passenger transportation, the Civic for 4.
Thats $5.28 per fillup difference; it takes 378.8 fillups to make up for the purchase cost differential
of $2000.
If you fill up twice a week as I do thats 189.3 weeks, or 3.64 years. In that 3.64 years I will drive only 48,000 miles. My Hondas have always lasted 150,000 miles or more so I will profit for the last 102,00 miles. Thats 408 fillups I will save $5.28 at least, or $2154. (normal COL will say by then the difference will exceed$6.0 per fillup at $3.50/gal)
Add the extra wholesale value for my Honda hybrid, estimated at least $2000 more than a Fit in equal condition, and I profit by more than $4000. And I had room for the whole family much easier than my Fit does. (We have had 4 Civic sedans/coupes)
And thats why the Fit hybrid will outsell the Fit by a wide margin.
You forgot to factor in buying a new battery for that hybrid.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I don't know where you got that info. They're both 5 passenger cars and the fit has more cargo room.
The Fit hybrid doesn't exist.

My family can only take a trip in the Fit if my short wife drives; if I drive even she doesn't have enough knee room. Our Civic has no such problem. Compare the fed front and rear volumes and see. Many vehicles advertised as 4 passenger vehicles aren't for full-sized Americans. The only minibox that can is the Versa.

The Fit hybrid (not the Civic Insight as others so posted) is scheduled for 2012 to 2015, after the complete redesign of the Fit. The Civic hybrid is marketed this spring (09).
There is no current Fit hybrid as there isn't room. The next redesign will accomodate hybrid mechanicals.

Last edited by mahout; 01-10-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by string3599

Actually I did as the reason for such low estimates for the resale value of a hybrid takes into account a new battery, which is believed to be in the $500 or less cost rangefor the Civic Insight.
All those estimates of $3000 batteries including ones by myself, have failed to come true; Toyota for example is already pricing replacements well under $1000 for the Prius. Honda's shouldn't be much different and perhaps cheaper because the type of battery and the system favored by Honda is less costly to make.
Once the plug-in technology takes hold hybrids will go straight to the head of the class.
Now if the Democrats get busy with nuclear power generation of electricity we'll be OK. Otherwise. we'll have to recharge only at night.
(insufficient capacity during daytime and early evening for hordes of hybrids in use.)
cheers.

Last edited by mahout; 01-10-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
of $2000.
And thats why the Fit hybrid, called the Insight (again), will outsell the Fit by a wide margin.
Japanese spy photos show a slightly downsized Civic circa 2004 version. Probably saves a lot on body tooling.
Where did you hear that the price for the Civic Hybrid will be coming down? I was under the impression that it was the new Insight that was coming with with a cost near 18k.

You also didn't include the cost of having to rent a pickup whenever you need to carry anything.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
sweet... Honda Fit FTW!!! =)

Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Actually I did as the reason for such low estimates for the resale value of a hybrid takes into account a new battery, which is believed to be in the $500 or less cost range.
All those estimates of $3000 batteries including ones by myself, have failed to come true; Toyota for example is already pricing replacements well under $1000 for the Prius. Honda's shouldn't be much different and perhaps cheaper because the type of battery favored by Honda is less costly to make.
Once the plug-in technology takes hold hybrids will go straight to the head of the class.
Now if the Democrats get busy with nuclear power generation of electricity we'll be OK. Otherwise. we'll have to recharge only at night.
(insufficient capacity during daytime and early evening for hordes of hybrids in use.)
cheers.
From Toyota's own blog from about a week ago, MSRP for the first gen Prius battery is $2300, and MSRP for the second gen Prius battery is $2600. This includes the ~10% price drop in September. Add tax and labor to the above prices, and tell the dealer where they can stick the new $1k controller some have tried to push with the battery replacement, and batteries are still about $3k.

TOYOTA OPEN ROAD BLOG: Prius Battery Change is No Big Deal

Of course, with many original batteries lasting past 100k miles, and some pushing 400k miles, even that $3k price gets amortized over a bunch of mileage.

RE: Fit rear legroom... maybe the 09's have more room, because at 6' with 34" inseam Levis, I can set the driver's seat with proper leg extension for me and then sit in the back seat and the front of my pant legs will barely brush the driver's seatback (unless I slouch down in the seat). I think the Fit's fine for 4 but too narrow for 5.

Last edited by txmatt; 01-03-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
of course. now, look at gas prices... hybrid owners will NEVER recoup their costs now haha
2010 Honda Insight, $19,000 and if it gets the same mileage as the HCH it'll be 45 MPG. 13% premium over the Fit Sport and 40% more efficient , how will I never recoup this?

Originally Posted by string3599
What you have to spend $2000 on the battery every 5-8 years?

Oh yea, did anyone forget how sexy the Insight is?

Last edited by Tastycakes; 01-08-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Battery replacements are far fewer and further between than hybrid critics like to claim. Maybe every eight years. Certainly not every five.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkaresh
Battery replacements are far fewer and further between than hybrid critics like to claim. Maybe every eight years. Certainly not every five.

Not only that but the cost is down in the hundreds of dollars. not thousands Better yet the Honda system is much simpler and places less hardship on the battery so that assists making the battery last longer.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
Where did you hear that the price for the Civic Hybrid will be coming down? I was under the impression that it was the new Insight that was coming with with a cost near 18k.

You also didn't include the cost of having to rent a pickup whenever you need to carry anything.

The new Civic hybrid is the Insight (photos all over automotive news sources). Looks like a Civic 4 door to me.
The Fit is a runabout; the Insight is a 4 door family carrier that gets over 40 mpg.
I don't know about you but my Fit won't hold enough for me to get rid of my pickup.