2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New 09' MT Fit Sport Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
New 09' MT Fit Sport Owner

Hello all, i just recently traded in my 04' red dodge SRT-4 for my blue fit (i know big difference). The SRT was hitting 80k miles and having issues and I was getting tired with it, as much as I loved it =/. Anyways saying Hi and I had a few questions. I've researched and found some answer but I thought maybe I can post all my questions here and hope someone might be able to just flat out answer me.

First I'll say I almost nothing about wiring and modding cars, thats why my SRT was always stock (also lack of money), but i've now become interested in adding to this FIT. I realize I'm going to have to find someone to install things for me for the most part, which is fine. I was wondering if there are any cool mods for a FIT someone could suggest, Not to interested in engine parts just aesthetic addons for the most part, unless there's some needed engine mod =P.

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any really good lighting kits (ambient lighting in the car) That has a switch for on and off and looks pretty good. I've seen honda's but i heard it doesnt look to good and wanted to see if anything out there for less then 80$.

Any other suggestions would be cool, and i'll continue to search the forums for things that interest me. I'm open to all suggestions. Hopefully I would get yelled at for asking questions I could eventually find through search but oh well, thought I'd ask.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh well thanks for the welcome though =D

Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Elmy
I was also wondering if anyone knows of any really good lighting kits (ambient lighting in the car) That has a switch for on and off and looks pretty good. I've seen honda's but i heard it doesnt look to good and wanted to see if anything out there for less then 80$.

Check this link out:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...me-lights.html

It's a start...

Old 12-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Congrats! I have the 09 MT as well and love it! The MT is really fun

Old 12-28-2008, 07:41 PM
thanks, by ambient light i was shooting more for cool glowing blue things =P lol, most commonly neon tubes near the feet, although I will check out the dome light thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SCBarren
Congrats! I have the 09 MT as well and love it! The MT is really fun
I have a black one, but I helped my parents get the Blackberry AT 3 days ago. We're lucky...we got it for $16,600 (before destination et al.) as well as $13,000 for their 07 Fit Sport AT. We were going against the $200 hike in price as shown on the web. But the actual sticker on the car was the old price. Either way, good deal.

Looking at theirs, I kinda wish I got the Blackberry instead.

Congrats on your car! Isn't it fun?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I love it, was paying 395$/month for the SRT which we bought on a 6yr loan. Leased the fit due to its high resale value at 270$/month, a lot better =P, just not sure what i can and can not modify due to the lease =/, Have to call dealership

Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I love it, was paying 395$/month for the SRT which we bought on a 6yr loan. Leased the fit due to its high resale value at 270$/month, a lot better =P, just not sure what i can and can not modify due to the lease =/, Have to call dealership
I did a quick search, and found this neat area that has questions and answers on film, short videos, and this one is on
Car Lease Reponsibilities:
Car Lease Responsibilities (Cars: Car Leasing)

The last question answered is:
What alterations can I make to my leased vehicle?

Says you cannot make any alterations/modifications on a leased vehicle. If you want to modify it, buy it, not lease it.

Anything done to it will have to be undone. And if whatever IS done causes problems to any other part of the car, you will be responsible for bringing it back to the condition it should have been in without alterations and modifications.

Includes wheels.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I figured as much =/, too expensive for me to buy unfortunatley. However I'm going to call and ask the guy I know at the dealership, if I'm allowed to modify as long as when I return it it is in its orriginal state then that wont be a problem, I'll just stick to things I can remove and put back to normal, rims, ambient lighting like i was talking about, ect. and I'm aware I have to cover any problems that occur from my modifications, usually thats how normal warranties go anyways

Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I figured as much =/, too expensive for me to buy unfortunatley. However I'm going to call and ask the guy I know at the dealership, if I'm allowed to modify as long as when I return it it is in its orriginal state then that wont be a problem, I'll just stick to things I can remove and put back to normal, rims, ambient lighting like i was talking about, ect. and I'm aware I have to cover any problems that occur from my modifications, usually thats how normal warranties go anyways
Take the money that you would have used to modify the car now, stuff it in savings, let it collect some interest. When the lease it up, do you have the option to buy? At a set price?

If so, you might get a good deal, as the FIT holds it's value fairly well. THEN you buy the car and do the modifications! You'll already have money put away from saving up.

I think ALL of the FIT models look good straight from the showroom floor. The wheels that the Sport models come with I think look GOOD.

Thing is, wheel styles and popularity change. I remember these from maybe the 80's:
Enkei Wheel.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Not so popular now.

WAY back, before those, wire wheels were popular:
R & R Tire and Auto Online Store (Powered by CubeCart) - OG WIRE WHEELS 20" - 24"

Those really only look good on some classics, like Jags:
Jaguar Cars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spinner rims, dorky trend, shouldn't last long (if it's not over yet):
Just Spinner Rims Gallery

I used to have old mag wheels on my Corvette that looked like this:
Encounter of the unknown kind . . .

IF you buy something trendy, and it goes out of fashion, you are stuck with the wheels. Because nobody wants them. Meanwhile, the original wheels still look the best on most cars. Like what I replaced those mags with on the Corvette were the Rally Wheels. Basic wheels with a beauty ring and center cap, like shown here:
Performance Plus Corvettes - Sold - 68-72

I'm only trying to persuade you because it's a lease and you're putting money into a car you may not keep. The wheels may not fit your next car. The wheels might not be able to be sold for a good price in a few years.

And right now, you HAVE brand new wheels and brand new tires! At least wait (stuffing that money into savings) until you need new tires.

I sound like a mom.

I figure leases are like renting. And it's highly unlikely I would rent a car for the day and have it tinted and new wheels put on for just the day. What if I had it a week? Month? Year? Three years?