2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Weird noise after Reversing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Weird noise after Reversing

I have a Fit Sport 5-speed w/ paddle shift and every time I reverse and then put it back to either D or S mode I hear a weird noise. Sound like a click or something. I just wanted to make sure its normal.

I got used to my (EP3 w/ MT) thats why and after getting my Fit a few days ago I don't even drive it anymore.

Last edited by OEMfit; 12-24-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OEMfit
I have a Fit Sport 5-speed w/ paddle shift and every time I reverse and then put it back to either D or S mode I hear a weird noise. Sound like a click or something. I just to make sure its normal.

I got used to my (EP3 w/ MT) thats why and after getting my Fit a few days ago I don't even drive it anymore.

I posted this elsewhere too, but it's probably the brakes:

" Why do my brakes make a single “click” noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?
A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single “click” noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.
"

Direct from the Honda FAQ page:
Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I posted this elsewhere too, but it's probably the brakes:

" Why do my brakes make a single “click” noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?
A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single “click” noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.
"

Direct from the Honda FAQ page:
Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site
Are we sure it's not the transmission? I hear the same noise, but I'm never touching the brakes when I hear it....and it really doesn't seem like it's coming from the brake calipers...it sounds like the transmission..? See this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ear-noise.html

Last edited by reako; 12-24-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by reako
Are we sure it's not the transmission? I hear the same noise, but I'm never touching the brakes when I hear it....and it really doesn't seem like it's coming from the brake calipers...it sounds like the transmission..? See this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ear-noise.html
Ya i hear it too, but i kinda just shruged it off haha

Old 12-25-2008, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Every Honda I've ever had with an automatic transmission has made a noise after going from R to D. But this is the only one that has done it from day ONE. The others did it after break-in or thereabouts. So I consider it normal.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Shoulda saw a friend's old Ranger-- 130k miles, shift into reverse, left rear quarter jump up 4"!

It's natural for there to be a little play in the drivetrain that has to be taken up with every directional change.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I hear a rattle when I go from reverse to 1st gear in my manual car...I think it's my license plate!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TKZ12NO1
Every Honda I've ever had with an automatic transmission has made a noise after going from R to D. But this is the only one that has done it from day ONE. The others did it after break-in or thereabouts. So I consider it normal.
This is interesting. I haven't noticed any clunk at all. I don't listen to the radio, so I think I would hear it.

Then again, I haven't driven it much, and I have the base model, so maybe there is a difference.

And I am still so excited about having a brand new car, that it's possible a nuclear weapon could land nearby and I wouldn't notice it either.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I've noticed something when stone cold; mine sometimes lives in an unheated garage, and on a cold morning it will be there; noticed it especially after a recent heavy rain and then a sudden cold snap.
Moon

Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I actually hear two clicks in my car. The first one I was told was the brake pads realigning after a different direction of travel. The second is the transmission changing gears. I had the same 2 noises in my 05 Accord. I figure they are normal. The Accord only had 36,000 miles. I hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 PM
if honda says its normal than i guess well have to live with it when i get back to my car ill check it out it might be just a qurek with the fit