2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New here, and puzzled about EPA mpg ratings

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
New here, and puzzled about EPA mpg ratings

Hi. Anxiously awaiting delivery of our Revolution Orange Sport with AT. According to the brochure I took home from the dealer (2009 version), the EPA rating is 27/33 for the Fit with MT, Sport with MT, and Sport with AT. However, it is 28/35 for the Fit with AT. Might it be that the AT has different gear ratios between the Base and Sport models? According to the specs in the brochure, all AT's are the same, and all MT's are the same.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Not 100% sure but

From what I've read in other threads some have attributed the lower mpg on the AT sport to the spoiler kit, and/or it being slightly heavier.

The AT's all have the same 5th gear ratio, and the MT's are different ratios than the AT's.

Not too sure on the exact details but check this thread out and I'm sure you should have some answers... ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...decreased.html

Old 12-17-2008, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
The gearing is different between the AT and MT...which is why the MTs will sound louder at the same speeds. I don't know off the top of the head why the fuel economy is better rated with the AT, but I think it was due to the way the AT is programmed to downshift and all that....in the end though, what dictates your fuel economy is how you drive. I still believe that you can get better fuel economy with the manual if you drive smart. Of course you're probably also going to get worse economy here and there where you want to have some fun with the car

Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I don't know off the top of the head why the fuel economy is better rated with the AT, but I think it was due to the way the AT is programmed to downshift and all that....
The AT has a higher final drive ratio on the highway, therefore a Fit with AT runs runs at a lower RPM on the highway and burns less fuel.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by jelliotlevy
Hi. Anxiously awaiting delivery of our Revolution Orange Sport with AT. According to the brochure I took home from the dealer (2009 version), the EPA rating is 27/33 for the Fit with MT, Sport with MT, and Sport with AT. However, it is 28/35 for the Fit with AT. Might it be that the AT has different gear ratios between the Base and Sport models? According to the specs in the brochure, all AT's are the same, and all MT's are the same.
The AT programming is more aggressive on the sport, different shift points, etc. Hence, slightly better MPG on the base car theoretically. Keep in mind that almost nobody drives real world like the EPA test cycle, although it has improved lately.

In other words, the physical gear ratios in the AT are same from sport to base, but the electronic instructions on how the trans operates are different.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
From what I've read in other threads some have attributed the lower mpg on the AT sport to the spoiler kit,
If that is the case shouldn't there be difference in MPG between the manual base Fit and the manual Sport Fit too?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed. That is why I think that 75r90rider has most likely stated the reason. There is a difference in the electronic programming of the throttle and/or the automatic transmission which leads to a lower result when following the protocols of the official EPA test. Anyway, I suppose it is only a test and not the real world.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I thought the assumption was that the Sport Auto was EPA tested in Sport Mode while the Base Auto was EPA tested in its only (stock) mode. Higher shift points in Sport mode? I don't own one (yet) so not sure about the Sport vs Base/stock mode of shifting. Were the EPA testers playing with the paddle shifters (forcing higher shift points) on the Sport cars?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
If that is the case shouldn't there be difference in MPG between the manual base Fit and the manual Sport Fit too?
I dunno check the previous threads... That's the theories that were mentioned.

So far the different shift points sounds the most logical.

I'm not too sure I trust the EPA #'s, they rated my old Integra's at 33mpg hwy, and I constantly got 36-38mpg hwy and the tires were at spec (if anything underinflated), no overinflating or hypermiling. Same with my older Honda's too. Where as the American cars I had were constantly getting lower than EPA #'s.

I think overall its how the person drives the car, so the EPA #'s should be taken with a grain of salt.