2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

help with installing aftermarket gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:35 PM
help with installing aftermarket gauges

i am installing air fuel ratio gauge on my 08 fit but can not find the signal wire for the oxygen sensor it has 4 wires but none of them are giving a right reading on a voltmeter the least i can get is .8 volts which its full throttle even though im reading that at idle the other are 2 volts and 13 volts so if anyone has any insight i need it back its really getting frustrating

Old 12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
If you are installing a universal AF gauge you are wasting your time and money. Most modern fuel injected cars run in closed-loop mode and these AF gauges aren't going to show you accurate readings anyhow. I'm don't mean to pee in your Cheerios. You need to look up the information in a shop manual as it varies. Most vehicles will have a ground, +v for heater, and signal wire ;the signal wire is the one with a very low voltage (.05 etc.). That wire giving you .8 volts is probably the signal wire.

If you are really interested in getting your AFR's I suggest a
wide band setup. This will require a weld-in bung for the sensor. These units cost more and the costs vary greatly depending on the additional features they offer. They are, after all, devices used in tuning so unless you are tuning you really don't need it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Nabisco; 12-15-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
get the AEM uego wideband gauge. comes with everyhing you need, including 02 bung. just get the bung welded in and there are only 2 wires that need to be spliced, the rest is just plugs and routing wires.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
i would go for a more useful gauge like water temp or something like that.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
a/f is more important than water temp

Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
a/f is more important than water temp
Not when you don't have a water temp gauge at all and like mentioned above a add on air fuel gauge is totally worthless.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 PM
The best wideband kit is made by innovative. Their translator has been proven to be the most accurate with the fastest response time. Do a search on google for "wideband shootout" if you would like more info. It's what I use on my DSM and I tune to the ragged edge.

As others have already stated, an a/f gauge on a car with no tuning capabilities is pretty useless. Coolant temp would be MUCH more useful in this case. Even though a warning light will come on if acutely overheating, aluminum heads are pretty soft and can still warp with long term exposure to high-but-not-high-enough-to-set-off-the-warning-light temps.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
dumb question but does the scan gauge have this feature?
cause if it does you can get all these gauges in one unit.
cost less and more practical.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Scangauge you can have 4 of 12 metrics displayed at once, so you could have Coolant temp, current voltage, rpms, speed or engine load, you name it. Scangauge2 is a really good tool if you are tryin to figure out best fuel mileage too. I wanna get one, but I already have OBDII computer scanners, but it would be nice to have a small one with easy readout, ESPECIALLY since the fit doesn't have a temp gauge. That really bugs me. I want to manually leave the fan on all the time, except winter cold starts, and be able to see the temp at quick glance.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Not when you don't have a water temp gauge at all and like mentioned above a add on air fuel gauge is totally worthless.
I agree the basic non wideband af gauges are worthless just an expensive light show unless it has its own dedicated oxygen sensor it will never get proper readings due to the drop of resistance in the splice, im useing the plx devices m-300 in my da integra and have no problems its discontinued now for a better gauge type unit but its still a wideband the aem unit is excellent also. also look into the innovate motorsports wideband system. if you want looks go for the crappy tap in system if you want functionallity go with a dedicated unit to acheive proper tuning results

Old 01-13-2011, 08:20 PM
gwh
had 0il temp gauge(glow gauge) installed by long time mech,guage will not zero out when cold or go over temp of 150f in process of third time tech support, sensor installed in oil filter adapter. any coments appreciated. im out a lot of $$$ if not cleared up.