2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Below invoice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nilly1010
where im from in the northeast they are all marked up 2000 dollars almost everywhere, unless u want to order and wait forever, and they arent having any trouble sellin all of them, they r in high demand
Have you used the Find a Dealer at the main Honda site?

This is using a Boston zip code:
http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/dealer-locator/results.aspx?address=&city=&state=&zip=02111&deale rname=&filters=&fromsection=NEW

Click on the name of the dealer, then click where it says "Visit Dealer Web Site" (under the name of the dealership) and you'll get a window that tells you that you are leaving Honda.com and you'll have to click again to get to the dealer's actual website.

Here's the link to the first place on the list:
Honda MA | Boston MA Honda Dealers | Honda Cars of Boston | Dealer New Honda Certified Used Honda Cars Boston Massachusetts Honda dealer | Honda dealers MA

click on New Inventory. Select the year, the model. And there are your results!!! 16 FITS, listed at MSRP.

the next link has 70 FITS listed:
Herb Chambers Honda of Boston - Herb Chambers Honda dealer in Boston Massachusetts servicing Worcester, Taunton, Seekonk and Auburn MA.

That is how I found my car, by using the main Honda site to check every single dealership in my area. Because I was looking for a very specific car.

To save $2,000, it would be worth traveling a bit to get your car. AND, I'm sure there's someone who wouldn't mind giving you a ride for maybe fifty bucks.

You might also be able to do what I did, and do most of the deal by email/phone. You know, picking out the specific car color, transmission, any options you want added to the car before picking it up, etc.

And my dealer picked me up. 30 miles away.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by 1LegitFit
Cup,
I would recommend going somewhere else. Have you tried Vallejo or Vacaville? I bet you can do a lot better. How about Concord? You have this weekend and next week to get the best deal. If you're looking for AT Sport, I wouldn't pay any more than $16,800, especially right now.
the OTD price I got is: $16,910+$1,437.35 tax (8.5% in SF, CA)+$670+doc fee=somewhere around $19,100-$19,200...

After bargaining, the OTD price is $18,700...I felt that I can go further, so I left...but I am not sure how low I can actually get. And now I will be gone for a week and will try again next month, I hope I can still get good deal after I am back from a trip...

You suggested $16,800, do you mean $110 below the $16,900 MSRP?

thanks

Last edited by cupnoodle84; 12-28-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
What is all on the vehicle?

My base had fees/taxes, etc, of about $1,600. Subtracting that from your total comes to $17,100

And there are Sport A/T FITs listed at Concord for $16,910:

In Black:
New Honda Fit, Concord, CA, Hatchback, Concord Honda Stock: 9S027677

No color listed here:
New Honda Fit, Concord, CA, Hatchback, Concord Honda Stock: 9S031919

No idea why some are less than others. Certainly worth checking out, it's a couple hundred bucks!
After telling my dealers not to install anything and bargaining with walk out twice, they lowered the price to the MSRP and told me it will now cost $18,700 after including destination charge, tax, and doc fee. I know I should shop around too, but I just don't know how low I can get, is $18,500 OTD the lowest I can get?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cupnoodle84
the OTD price I got is: $16,910+$1,437.35 tax (8.5% in SF, CA)+$670+doc fee=somewhere around $19,100-$19,200...

After bargaining, the OTD price is $18,700...I felt that I can go further, so I left...but I am not sure how low I can actually get. And now I will be gone for a week and will try again next month, I hope I can still get good deal after I am back from a trip...

thanks
Sure, I got about 159.00 less than MSRP. And I simply told the guy via email and on the phone that I wouldn't pay MSRP, I said I want to pay less. Well, I did want to pay less.

I certainly didn't get the miracle deals that some folks have mentioned in the forum. But I didn't work very hard either.

If you do plan on getting some of the extras, check out Bernardi, they even have a forum here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/bernardiparts-com/

I know it might cost a lot to ship bulky/big items, like the cargo mat. But I'm also looking at the splash guards and the door ding protector. Prices are MUCH lower through Bernardi. I will have to check on their shipping costs. It still might save money.

Are you paying cash? Because that's what I did. Brought in a cashier's check for the amount my salesman, Doug Miller, gave me on the phone. It was that easy.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:09 PM
After telling my dealers not to install anything and bargaining with walk out twice, they lowered the price to the MSRP and told me it will now cost $18,700 after including destination charge, tax, and doc fee. I know I should shop around too, but I just don't know how low I can get, is $18,500 OTD the lowest I can get?
I bargained with Anderson in September (pre-meltdown) and with the same kind of antics, and for a car that wouldn't be in stock for 7 weeks (MT Sport Nav), the best I could do was MSRP + $500. For a car in stock, and post-meltdown, I have to think you could do better than MSRP. How much I have no idea, but you have to remember that invoice is only about $600 less than MSRP on these cars.

Searching inventory is great, but not all dealers out here list inventory on their site, and if you want a car that nobody has (like I did) there is no way to view the list of cars that they are expecting in the coming weeks, even though they do have that list at the dealership. All you can do then is call around and ask.

As for how much effort to expend to save $200: how much is your time worth? If it's $50/hr (what I usually use), then you don't gain anything tangible by spending more than a few hours trying to knock it down further.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:12 PM

thanks
If I understand your math, you are at $200 over invoice and $400 below MSRP right now. That's pretty good. Like I said, what's your time worth?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like I missed one of the cars at Concord Honda, there are TWO that don't have a color listed:
New Honda Fit, Concord, CA, Hatchback, Concord Honda Stock: 9S028489

They show the Blackberry color, but that might not be accurate.

You want the Sport with A/T and nothing else? Right? Do you have a color preference?

If not, call Concord, ask for Doug Miller, tell him EXACTLY what you want. One of those three cars, no extras, and that you want to pay less than MSRP. Be sure to ask what the final cost includes.

there are a bunch of miscellaneous fees on my sales form. I don't even know if they are legit. LOL!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Dublin Honda has a larger selection of Fits in stock. Use AutoBytel.com to get an email quote. Dublin zip code: 94568 Ask for Tito Perez
Just got a Fit Auto Sport w/Nav w/ no addons $185 below invoice.
Use https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorW...VehicleForm.do to figure out what your tax & fees are

Old 12-28-2008, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
I don't like recommending dealers because 2 people rarely have the same experience. That's why I'm not posting where I bought my car because I can tell you right now that even though I got my car for below invoice, I may be the only one. They have every car marked up with the paint protection and Lo-Jack, so it's one of those kinds of dealers. If the car was not just PDI'ed with barely any miles on it, I would of walked out.

I too had contact with Tito from Dublin Honda and they gave me a very good price too, they must be on a mission to get rid of their stock by the end of the year. He was easy to deal with and had I bought the car in NorCal I probably would of bought from them. But since I was visiting family, it just ended up getting the car in SoCal.

Alex

Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moolman
I don't like recommending dealers because 2 people rarely have the same experience. That's why I'm not posting where I bought my car because I can tell you right now that even though I got my car for below invoice, I may be the only one. They have every car marked up with the paint protection and Lo-Jack, so it's one of those kinds of dealers. If the car was not just PDI'ed with barely any miles on it, I would of walked out.

I too had contact with Tito from Dublin Honda and they gave me a very good price too, they must be on a mission to get rid of their stock by the end of the year. He was easy to deal with and had I bought the car in NorCal I probably would of bought from them. But since I was visiting family, it just ended up getting the car in SoCal.

Alex
Good point Alex!

Of course people won't have the same experience. And things change on their end, like they could have had a pep talk meeting telling everyone to move those cars off the lot when I was there. And a chewing out meeting at another time telling everyone to stop giving cars away because no money is being made.

Things change on our end. Some people like to wheel and deal. Some people just know what they want and will buy it right now, if the price is reasonable. The definition of "reasonable" varies.

I bet there were a bunch of people that wanted to be the first people to own a 09 FIT, and they did pay more than MSRP. But that's because of their OWN choice, wanting to be the first! And for them, reasonable is over MSRP.

Sharing experiences IS good though. Everyone can get tips from everyone else. And that can help no matter what dealership you go to and what kind of buyer you are!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
I bet there were a bunch of people that wanted to be the first people to own a 09 FIT, and they did pay more than MSRP. But that's because of their OWN choice, wanting to be the first! And for them, reasonable is over MSRP.
Yeah... or they had to buy early on because a previous car blew up

Also... it makes a huge difference if you are willing to buy off the lot. They need to keep those cars moving!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tamashii
Dublin Honda has a larger selection of Fits in stock. Use AutoBytel.com to get an email quote. Dublin zip code: 94568 Ask for Tito Perez
Use https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorW...VehicleForm.do to figure out what your tax & fees are
Thanks Tamashii.

Here's a link to their FITS in stock right now:
Honda Dublin | Accord, Civic, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot, Element, Civic Hybrid, Fit, S2000 & Ridgeline

They have FOUR base FITs! That's pretty good. Those can be HARD to find. They also have 12 of the ones with Navigation!

I don't like that they do not list prices. Because if I'm shopping from home, which is what I did to get my car, any dealer that didn't show their new inventory and the prices did NOT get a call or mail.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tamashii
Oooh, Thanks one more time, Tamashii!

That DMV link is great. I didn't know that existed! Very handy.
Rep Up!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Don't know if there is any truth to it? But, a Honda salesman is claiming Honda is giving dealers $1000 cash back since Dec 20. That might accounted for the below invoice.

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Fit (and Jazz) > > Re: Prices are falling

It seems like supply is catching up with demand. The situation is getting better for the buyer.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting! So, you're basically even with dealerships if you bought your Fit below or at invoice price? This would of been great intel before I bought mine. I'm still happy with my purchase price of $16,060 (below MSRP and mark ups) and not to mention was very lucky to get one that was on the dealer's lot before 11 Dec or I would have had to pay for the increase on MSRP. So there's another info you can use. Make sure to buy from dealers who has Fits on stock since before 11 Dec or you won't have a bigger room to negotiate in.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:44 AM
Lovin' my spankin' new sport A/T.

I hear holdback is a few hundred right now. I just got the sport A/T for $205 below invoice, no add ons, just walked in with a number off the top of my head and they accepted it.

One question tho: is destination charge of $670 also subject to sales tax (in nor cal)? i was charged it, and it seems wrong.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks Tamashii.

Here's a link to their FITS in stock right now:
Honda Dublin | Accord, Civic, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot, Element, Civic Hybrid, Fit, S2000 & Ridgeline

They have FOUR base FITs! That's pretty good. Those can be HARD to find. They also have 12 of the ones with Navigation!

I don't like that they do not list prices. Because if I'm shopping from home, which is what I did to get my car, any dealer that didn't show their new inventory and the prices did NOT get a call or mail.
Good god... and out of all those cars, every single one is an automatic. That is a crying shame....

Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nicfit
Lovin' my spankin' new sport A/T.

I hear holdback is a few hundred right now. I just got the sport A/T for $205 below invoice, no add ons, just walked in with a number off the top of my head and they accepted it.

One question tho: is destination charge of $670 also subject to sales tax (in nor cal)? i was charged it, and it seems wrong.
Yes, destination charge is taxed, so is the $55 doc fee in California.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
Don't know if there is any truth to it? But, a Honda salesman is claiming Honda is giving dealers $1000 cash back since Dec 20. That might accounted for the below invoice.

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Fit (and Jazz) > > Re: Prices are falling

It seems like supply is catching up with demand. The situation is getting better for the buyer.
That dealer cashback was said by that guy because of an arguement with me. Now he's claiming he made it up, to piss me off that I didn't get a rock bottom price. Which I wouldn't have cared anyway because I set my price and got it. So he could be a liar which since he is a car salesman, is highly possible, or he's telling the truth and now trying to back track since if it gets out that there is a $1000 rebate, people will be demanding even lower prices.

Alex

Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by moolman
That dealer cashback was said by that guy because of an arguement with me. Now he's claiming he made it up, to piss me off that I didn't get a rock bottom price. Which I wouldn't have cared anyway because I set my price and got it. So he could be a liar which since he is a car salesman, is highly possible, or he's telling the truth and now trying to back track since if it gets out that there is a $1000 rebate, people will be demanding even lower prices.
Wow... that's sad.

Quick Reply: Below invoice?