2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Locking fuel cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Locking fuel cap

Looking for a locking cap for an '09 Fit, did some searching here looks like the Element one might work? I went to several auto parts store today around here and no one had anything for the Fit or the Civic (guess might be the same?)

Anyone have any luck with the Element locking cap, what year did you use, or does anyone have some hookups on line or something? I can't find jack. What with cheap gas I guess it's not a big deal, but I don't want any "free additives" put in by "friends".

Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
There have been threads about this, FitCanadaGirl had luck with the Element cap.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
i found this one:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...09-canada.html

i couldn't find any info on which year element it was, or a confirmation that it works for an '09 without throwing an error code.

if the GE8 is the same as last years, why wouldn't honda be marketing the 07-08 fit locking caps as working on the 09?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 PM
i have a stant. i bought it from walmart for around $10

here's a picture of it.
https://www.autosportcatalog.com/ind.../4741/sc/37578

Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=barams;513334]i have a stant. i bought it from walmart for around $10

What was the vehicle and model listed for the Stant Locking Gas Cap that you bought? It looks like it could easily be refitted to the Fit including the 'hangar' which is the best one I've seen; very little chance of gas contamination.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:26 AM
[quote=mahout;513661]
Originally Posted by barams

What was the vehicle and model listed for the Stant Locking Gas Cap that you bought? It looks like it could easily be refitted to the Fit including the 'hangar' which is the best one I've seen; very little chance of gas contamination.
i just eye balled it. locking gas caps are standard. just make sure u get the ones with the screws.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=barams;514248]
Originally Posted by mahout

i just eye balled it. locking gas caps are standard. just make sure u get the ones with the screws.

Thanks for the screws note; in my Stant catalog all locking gas caps don't have the same thread. We'll check it out and try one of ours.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 AM

So barams did you put that on your 09 Fit and did not get "check gas cap" message?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I have an 03 Element. It should work on the fit unless the cap size is different but I doubt it. And you can rekey it to use your original key.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Slant 11507

I have the Slant 11507 locking gas cap and it works perfectly on my 09 Milano Sport. 10507 is the same model but with different packaging.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Superfitfreak972

So barams did you put that on your 09 Fit and did not get "check gas cap" message?

didn't get the check gas cap message. i need to mention get the screws cause i bought the one without the screws and had to go back and return it.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I have threads on this same topic. I got the Honda one, meant for the Element. Do a search and you'll find my threads with pictures and the part number. You just give Honda that number and they can order it in. No error messages BUT on really cold days there's like a tiny film that freezes around the cylinder. I have to run my finger nail around it to clear it, otherwise the key won't turn! Major pain so I think I'll spray some lock de-icer there. The key goes in fine but won't turn due to freezing around the cylinder. Had to explain but I'm hoping the de-icer works for me...

Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by z06dustin
Looking for a locking cap for an '09 Fit, did some searching here looks like the Element one might work? I went to several auto parts store today around here and no one had anything for the Fit or the Civic (guess might be the same?)

Anyone have any luck with the Element locking cap, what year did you use, or does anyone have some hookups on line or something? I can't find jack. What with cheap gas I guess it's not a big deal, but I don't want any "free additives" put in by "friends".

My Stant book shows both 10504 and 10507 locking caps for the Element.
Tomorrow I make a parts run and will try to get one of the 10507's which because its 2008 listed may be a direct fit for the Fit. As soon as I find out I'll post the result.
I know why it's not listed for the Fit as it won't directly replace the stock cap which has a tether. A close look at the drawing however shows there is a groove that matches the Fit tether grove. And 10507 is listed 2006 thru 2008 so don't know if it fits the 09's but would expect it to.

See later post for test results and models. They work.

Last edited by mahout; 12-11-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Smile

didn't get the check gas cap message. i need to mention get the screws cause i bought the one without the screws and had to go back and return it.
So barams, what was the model # of your stant gas cap? I just want to make sure so I can get the right one.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Superfitfreak972
So barams, what was the model # of your stant gas cap? I just want to make sure so I can get the right one.

shoot. i'm not sure. let me check on it. i'm sure if u see the gas cap w screws it'll fit correctly.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 AM
get the threaded. i bought the quick on and had to return it. there are not different threaded models. the diameter of the thread is standard.

Stant

Stant locking gas caps are available in three basic styles, depending on application.
  • Push-on locking gas caps require no turning to secure the cap on the filler neck - simply press to lock. This style fits the older cam-style filler necks.
  • Threaded locking caps are designed for vehicles with threaded filler necks.
  • Quick-on caps are designed for late model vehicles with the 1/8th or 1/4-turn features.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM
As noted earlier, I use the Slant 11507 locking gas cap and it works perfectly on my 09 Milano Sport. Slant 10507 is the same model but with different packaging (box instead of bubble pack). I do not get a "Check Gas cap" message.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=z06dustin;513288]Looking for a locking cap for an '09 Fit, did some searching here looks like the Element one might work? I went to several auto parts store today around here and no one had anything for the Fit or the Civic (guess might be the same?)

The Stant number 10507 turned out to be correct.
I tried both the NAPA Ballkamp 703-1644 (aka Stant 10507) and the Carquest 35070 (also aka Stant 10507) gas caps on my o8 Fit and had zero problems with the ease of locking and unlocking nor having the fuel system warning light come on in the few miles I tested.
The tether of course will have to be modified as the 'groove' on the locking caps are 67 mm vs 58 mm stock and are somewhat narrower.
In my case I intend to substitute a stretch spring for part of the tether 'ring' and grind off roughly half of the diameter so it will fit nicely in the groove or we may heat stake the little hanger to the cap. DO NOT DRILL OR PENETRATE INTO THE CAP: YOU WILL LOSE THE CLOSURE and the emiisions control design. That could fail your state inspection.

Both cost about $15. I chose to use the CARQUEST one because it was a little easier to get my key in the lock (its hindered by a wad of keys on my ring) and it was a tad less expensive.
Good luck.

PS My poor fat hands have time opening the locking gas cap so I made a simple device to asist.

Took a 4" long x1/4" thick x 2"wide piece of aluminum and bolted the gas cap key to the bar at one end. Makes unlocking a cinch. And by putting a little hook in the end I can hang it where the original did before refitting the cap. The device stores easily in the glove compartment or hidden elsewhere.
Another one made here used two pieces of wooden flats same diameter with the key in between for needed strength.
PS when you bolt the key in place leave enough room for it to completely insert into the cap.

Last edited by mahout; 01-10-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added commentary on opening the locking gas cap
Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by SRLNCLT
I have an 03 Element. It should work on the fit unless the cap size is different but I doubt it. And you can rekey it to use your original key.
how much to rekey?

Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
how much to rekey?

And who does it? Couldn't find anyone here.

Quick Reply: Locking fuel cap