2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Getting Depressed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Getting Depressed

I decided a month ago for a number of reasons to order a Fit from a local dealership. The understanding was that if my current vehicle was not sold by the time the new vehicle arrived, I could unwind the sale and get my deposit back (I do have it in writing). The dealership was offering a ridiculous trade in amount for my current vehicle and I was not going to give my vehicle away. My Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 has been listed in Autotrader for three weeks now and we've had very few inquiries and no lookers although we made sure our FJ was listed below others listed in our area. I really believe the issue is the economy and the time of year we are trying to sell. I suppose the saving grace is I really do love the FJ and if it doesn't sell I am not stuck with an extra car and car payment. Although I can get out of the proposed purchase, I was really looking forward to the Fit as my next vehicle. The Fit I ordered is supposed to be in this next week, I guess I'll just hold on and see what happens. The dealership that I am purchasing from now has 10 Fits listed on their website so I don't think they are selling as fast as they have in the past. If I have to unwind the purchase and I later sell my vehicle there most likely will be a Fit available for sale versus waiting for one to come in-plus maybe then I can get one below MSRP-they wouldn't budge when I ordered it as they were flying off the lot then.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
I was in the same situation and I just decided to get the Fit I wanted anyways. Now I still have my Talon and I just drive it until it sells...that way I can keep the mileage low on the Fit. Don't rush anything and everything will work out in the end!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
the problem is the FJ cruiser is an EXTREMELY impractical car. 2 years ago, someone would scoop that up, today though, people are WAY more frugal w/ their money.

btw, i work for toyota, ive worked a lot w/ the fj cruiser. i wouldnt drive one if someone gave it to me

Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by projekz
I was in the same situation and I just decided to get the Fit I wanted anyways. Now I still have my Talon and I just drive it until it sells...that way I can keep the mileage low on the Fit. Don't rush anything and everything will work out in the end!
Yeah don't rush man. I say drive the FJ until it sells if having two payments is too much at the moment. The dealer didn't want to give me squat for a trade in on my Integra, so I ended up driving it for a few more months. When it finally sold, I went to go get my Fit.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Have you tried Craigslist.org to sell your FJ? I'm not sure how popular it is in your area but I have sold many vehicles for free on Craigslist. You can even add large pictures the same way you post pictures on the forum. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Try listing the FJ Cruiser on other places like the newspaper and craigslist? I mean tax season is coming up, so if you really want to sell the FJ and move on to the Fit you will be able to eventually. Plus you aren't going to get a Fit way below MSRP since it's not marked up much above invoice in the first place.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Not affiliated in any way with them, but I sold my 96 4Runner in two days after I put it on Cars.com just this Thanksgiving. Autotrader.com is also a good one. Worth the 40 bucks--I was blown away.

Craigslist is free to list but I always got lowballed.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Smile Thanks for the insight

I was considering listing on cars.com when I found their site the other day when I was looking for additional options. I'll try them as well.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM
The trick about selling cars is, if it's not getting buyers, the price is too high.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
the problem is the FJ cruiser is an EXTREMELY impractical car. 2 years ago, someone would scoop that up, today though, people are WAY more frugal w/ their money.

btw, i work for toyota, ive worked a lot w/ the fj cruiser. i wouldnt drive one if someone gave it to me
I have and FJ and a Fit... why the hatred on the FJ? And impracticle IS a point of veiw. Its SUPER practicle for me and my wife and our lifestyles.

We use the FJ for towing the boat, the kayaks, and our utility trailer for all kinds of stuff. It rides nice for an SUV, and there is plenty of room. It has a REAL 4x4 system with a tranfercase and has a strong reliable motor. Its a complete tank in the snow, I have had it in 1-2 FEET of snow on stock rubber with no problem.

People complain about the view out the rear... I say, learn to set up and use your mirrors.

Its nice to have a 4x4 and the Fit, and wouldn't trade any of them.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
I had no real luck trying to sell my BMW about 6 weeks ago. A few phone calls. All my real leads came for my for sale on sites like this but geared towards bmw and eventually found a buyer. I got more solicitations from Autotrader from companies that wanted to sell me car for a fee then real inquiries.