2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windows Fogging Up Quite Badly in 09 Sport - Have to blast AC

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
...men.
Just curious. Why do you answer posts then quote them?

Seems backwards to me.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual

Seems backwards to me.
women

Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
women
Lol. Perfect answer.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:06 PM

Seems backwards to me.
Well because some posts replied to are quite long (especially those with pictures) and I find it annoying trying to find the reply. I'd rather see the reply FIRST, then read what that person replied to (if I want to). Seems quite logical to me.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
See HE gets it....

Originally Posted by M4psycho
women

Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Of course YOU would think so since you're both men. Sigh...

Edit that: both of you are CANADIAN men. Makes sense now...

Lol. Perfect answer.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
It sounds to me like cruzitude is on the right track. The drain pan for the HVAC system is not draining properly. It wouldn’t take much water lying in the pan with a little heat to work as great humidifier and no AC to act as a dehumidifier. As soon as you turn it to defrost the AC kicks in and dehumidifies the air.

During the day with the sun warming the car it could evaporate then the initial use of the defroster in the morning replenishes the water. The dealer (warranty) should check for blockage and positioning of the drain hose within the drain pan. Even a slight misalignment would allow water to sit in the drain pan.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well because some posts replied to are quite long (especially those with pictures) and I find it annoying trying to find the reply. I'd rather see the reply FIRST, then read what that person replied to (if I want to). Seems quite logical to me.
Perhaps logical to you but there aren't long post with pictures right here yet you still do it. Not logical.

Btw. I'm not really serious. Just poking a little fun.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
It only happens in the morning, I ALWAYS have the air on fresh air (never recirculate) and though I do bring moisture in (after cleaning snow off car), why wouldn't this happen at night after I also bring in a bit of snow?
You have to remember that air is like a sponge that holds moisture, but that moisture can be drawn out in the presence of something cold (below the "dew point") like the glass in your car. The drier the air, the harder it is to draw out the moisture, whereas really moist air will give it up easier. It could be that the morning air is a little more damp than in the evening, so you have less of a problem at night.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Just being consistent....and yes, I know you both are kidding. Canadian humor and all.

Perhaps logical to you but there aren't long post with pictures right here yet you still do it. Not logical.

Btw. I'm not really serious. Just poking a little fun.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Hmm..seems logical! I really never have the problem at night and I drive home after sunfall when temps are quite cool. Is there perhaps a setting (i.e. vent only, vent/feet, defrost only, defrost/feet) that may help to alleviate this issue, when I park the car for the night? I typically set it to vent only, fan to 0. In the morning I start the car with heat to max, fan to 0, defrost only until the "engine cold" sign goes out, then fan to 1 for about 5 minutes. Anything different I can try to avoid this interior window frost?

Originally Posted by cruzitude
You have to remember that air is like a sponge that holds moisture, but that moisture can be drawn out in the presence of something cold (below the "dew point") like the glass in your car. The drier the air, the harder it is to draw out the moisture, whereas really moist air will give it up easier. It could be that the morning air is a little more damp than in the evening, so you have less of a problem at night.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Anything different I can try to avoid this interior window frost?
Get yourself a lot of these:

But seriously, there's little you can do to avoid the physics behind this. However, when you start your car in the morning it might be better to run the fan on max right away. It may not be warm, but cold dry air flow on the glass is better than no air flow at all. Once the temperature pics up, the warm dry air will be very hungry for moisture and will absorb the fog.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:19 PM
So the final setting the car is at right before turning it off for the night has no impact, right? I'll try the max fan defrost setting though with our bitterly cold temps around here, that may not be practical (for the humans in the car!) I'll also try to find some kind of anti-fog treatment. Are these safe for tinted windows?

Get yourself a lot of these:

But seriously, there's little you can do to avoid the physics behind this. However, when you start your car in the morning it might be better to run the fan on max right away. It may not be warm, but cold dry air flow on the glass is better than no air flow at all. Once the temperature pics up, the warm dry air will be very hungry for moisture and will absorb the fog.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
So the final setting the car is at right before turning it off for the night has no impact, right?
Since the car is just sitting, I really doubt that how you leave the settings will have an impact for the next morning. However, you might try leaving recirculate ON overnight to block the outside air from migrating inside the cabin overnight, but I doubt there'd be much movement anyway with the cabin being sealed.

I'll try the max fan defrost setting though with our bitterly cold temps around here, that may not be practical (for the humans in the car!)
Isn't that why you have the remote start? Get that little puppy fired up 5 minutes before you set foot outside

I'll also try to find some kind of anti-fog treatment. Are these safe for tinted windows?
I can't say for sure, but they should be OK as long as they don't contain ammonia.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
My GD3 had bad tendencies to fog up whenever the AC was off, even when set on fresh air. The problem was a residue on the inside of the windows the car had from the factory. For some reason it encouraged condensation like nothing I've ever seen. Turn on AC, it was like waves running up the windshield until it was gone. Turn AC off, and within 30 seconds POOF can't see.

To remove it, I used some heavy duty windex TWICE (oh man it streaked up bad the first time), then followed up with a thorough cleaning with Invisible Glass.

Now I can run defrost with AC off like I intended when I disconnected the defrost ac switch!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Excellent advice and + Rep to you! Yes, the remote starter will come in handy in this situation. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and let you all know how it pans out. We're expecting another snow storm so the humidity level will be nice and high, a good day for a "ideal defogging procedure" trial.

Since the car is just sitting, I really doubt that how you leave the settings will have an impact for the next morning. However, you might try leaving recirculate ON overnight to block the outside air from migrating inside the cabin overnight, but I doubt there'd be much movement anyway with the cabin being sealed.

Isn't that why you have the remote start? Get that little puppy fired up 5 minutes before you set foot outside

I can't say for sure, but they should be OK as long as they don't contain ammonia.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Interesting. I did clean the inside of my winshield mutiple times with heavy-duty cleaner and noted exactly what you described! Streaked like CRAZY. I'm not convinced that I got all of that factory "residue" off since when my front windshield is all frosted up, I notice an odd "bulls-eye" type pattern right in the middle. Odd. Looks like I'll have to find yet another cleaner to try to get that stuff off! I haven't tried this on my side windows since they're tinted. Can anyone recommend a good cleaner that is safe to use on tint?

Originally Posted by polaski
My GD3 had bad tendencies to fog up whenever the AC was off, even when set on fresh air. The problem was a residue on the inside of the windows the car had from the factory. For some reason it encouraged condensation like nothing I've ever seen. Turn on AC, it was like waves running up the windshield until it was gone. Turn AC off, and within 30 seconds POOF can't see.

To remove it, I used some heavy duty windex TWICE (oh man it streaked up bad the first time), then followed up with a thorough cleaning with Invisible Glass.

Now I can run defrost with AC off like I intended when I disconnected the defrost ac switch!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I use Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner and a microfiber cloth on my tint (as well as any other glass on my car) It was recommended to me by several tint companies.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Excellent advice and + Rep to you! Yes, the remote starter will come in handy in this situation. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and let you all know how it pans out. We're expecting another snow storm so the humidity level will be nice and high, a good day for a "ideal defogging procedure" trial.
If you leave recirculate ON overnight while the car sits, you may need to turn it back to fresh (OFF) before warming up the car. But if no one is in the car while its warming up, then you might be OK with recirculate ON until the humanoids enter. Try it both ways and report back, we're counting on a quality experiment from you (oh yeah, 1 rep back at ya!)

Last edited by cruzitude; 12-02-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
If you leave recirculate ON overnight while the car sits, you may need to turn it back to fresh (OFF) before warming up the car. But if no one is in the car while its warming up, then you might be OK with recirculate ON until the humanoids enter. Try it both ways and report back, we're counting on a quality experiment from you (oh yeah, 1 rep back at ya!)
Yeah, we've got an autostart in our '09 too and we leave it on fresh not recirc before we get out @ night. I know the recirc might warm it up faster but the fresh defrosts better and since the starter runs it for 10 mins that's plenty of time for the car to get warm.

Quick Reply: Windows Fogging Up Quite Badly in 09 Sport - Have to blast AC