2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Car cover questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Car cover questions

I am planning on getting a car cover since I will be going to air force officer training and I don't want my car sitting out in the sun for 3 months. I have looked at the OE FIT cover and I didn't know if it is worth the money? If there are other manufacturers that make better covers I would be interested in hearing about them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
If at all possible it is better to rent a garage space for that kind of time.

But things to consider if going for a cover. Secure (don't want is stolen or to blow away), good fit (wind buffets will wear the paint), reflective (to keep off the sun and cut down on heat), Good ventilation (moisture will get under cover directly or indirectly so it needs to be able to dry out before the water gets to cook spots on your car), breathable (see ventilation), nice soft inside (prevent scuffing) And you have to keep the cover and the car clean (dirt is an abrasive) and a good wax / paint protectant helps. I have used several custom covers for my motorcycles and cars but they were for short term storage. I will look them up if you want... They aren't cheap by any means.

Even in a garage it can get dirty along with change in humidity, ideally long term storage is best in an AutoBubble in a garage or storage shed. (yep 3 months is long term.) Also there are lots of other preps that should be done to the vehicle for this kind of storage if you really don't want a junker in the end. And the tires need to be jacked off the ground to help them not deteriorate.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
thanks for the info I should have time on the weekends to take a quick drive around base (tire deterioration shouldn't be to much of a problem) to dry the car out if it gets wet.

I would like to garage the car but I will be required to keep it on base in a secured lot. The car will also have all of my items in it for when I move on from training so I need access to it. It is the only place I can store things that I will not be subject to reprimand if things are out of place or not in order.

I would be interested in knowing which manufacturers you used for your car covers.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by engineer_86
I am planning on getting a car cover since I will be going to air force officer training and I don't want my car sitting out in the sun for 3 months. I have looked at the OE FIT cover and I didn't know if it is worth the money? If there are other manufacturers that make better covers I would be interested in hearing about them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The ones we've seen working best are those with liners that protect the finish and which 'breathe' but don't let water in. Probably Gortex which you should run across in the AF duty.
And no, the good ones aren't cheap.
PS if someone can start the engine once a week for 5 minutes or so til its warm is helpful but not manadatory. Otherwise do your last oil change with 20W-50 synthetic to keep upper cylinder lubed. When you return and start the engine, when it gets warm, change the oil back to usual.
Disconnect the battery too. And spray incecticide all around the bottom; repeating every month if plausible.
3 months isn't bad. try a couple of years.

Last edited by mahout; 12-01-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Can't give you a manufacturer as I get mine from a friend who is a parts man in a autoparts dealership and he gets them for me ... they don't have any brand name other than Dow Co. and the car or motorcycle model And if I look online I only see Dowco and only for motorcycles. But they are built for the particular vehicle.
Sorry not much help there.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
I use california car cover... it's custom and a thin yet strong all weather material.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
can someone post pics of the car covers they are using?

Go to the net google carcovers. We use Hubcapsplus and have found them as good as anyone's for less cost.