2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine fan keeps coming on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Engine fan keeps coming on!!!

I'm just wondering if anyone is having the same problem? The second I start the car the engine fan comes on and it cycles on and off for very short periods of time in really small intervals- on for 5 seconds, off for about 15 seconds. I'm gonna call the dealer about this and see what they have to say. I think my fan controller is screwed!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Is it the engine fan or the AC condenser?

Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 AM
AC does that all the time on the GD3. 3 second wait, AC kicks on, fan on 5 seconds, off for about 20. Louder than the whole drivetrain put together by a long shot.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 AM
If you have the AC or defrost on the fan will cycle constantly.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by projekz
I'm just wondering if anyone is having the same problem? The second I start the car the engine fan comes on and it cycles on and off for very short periods of time in really small intervals- on for 5 seconds, off for about 15 seconds. I'm gonna call the dealer about this and see what they have to say. I think my fan controller is screwed!
Are you in defog mode?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
I noticed the same. The radiator fan usually comes on when the car is not moving (at a stop sign or red light). My AC is not on.

The fan will even start even when the engine isn't on. If you turn the key to accessory II for more than 30 sec. Either it's a bug or some interesting thermo management.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:11 AM
Keep in mind that the A/C is always on when you have the defroster selected...regardless if the A/C light is on or off.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:03 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
That must be the problem. The AC light will come on my old Civic whenever the AC in on. I wonder if the AC hack works on the Fit too? I don't think the AC will be that useful when the temp is below freezing here.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 AM
The reason the ac comes on when the defroster is on is to remove moisture from the air resulting in better defrosting.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM
no AC no defrost on when the fan goes on and off. I can start the car first thing in the morning when it's been sitting all night and the fan will come on right away. Then it cycles all the time. It's really loud and annoying.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by projekz
no AC no defrost on when the fan goes on and off. I can start the car first thing in the morning when it's been sitting all night and the fan will come on right away. Then it cycles all the time. It's really loud and annoying.
The 2 rightmost settings on the vent dial (heat/defrost and defrost) will activate the air conditioner compressor and cause the cycling you describe.

Turn the air control dial completely to the left (vent).
Turn off the air conditioner.

Does it still cycle?

If yes then take it to your dealer for them to check it out.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ein
That must be the problem. The AC light will come on my old Civic whenever the AC in on. I wonder if the AC hack works on the Fit too? I don't think the AC will be that useful when the temp is below freezing here.
i tried the hack several times and didn't get it to work. Some people got it working though.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone found a procedure to disable the AC while in defrost mode?

If yes then please post method used.

I wouldn't mind if the defroster (complete rightmost of dial) would turn on the AC but when in heat/defrost position, I would like to have control of it.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing this mod is for a GD ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...solutions.html not sure if it will work for the GE8's.

I do recall a thread in this forum (2nd Generation) where the Civic mod worked, I've been trying to find that thread for the past hour with no luck.

will post when I find it. the thread was from October I believe.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
I tried using the old Civic hack a few times. It didn't work.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by FitStir
I'm guessing this mod is for a GD ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...solutions.html not sure if it will work for the GE8's.

I do recall a thread in this forum (2nd Generation) where the Civic mod worked, I've been trying to find that thread for the past hour with no luck.

will post when I find it. the thread was from October I believe.
Yup I started that thread. Followed someone's instructions but it didn't work for me.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...s-mileage.html

Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mega56
Yup I started that thread. Followed someone's instructions but it didn't work for me.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...s-mileage.html
Yeah, that's the thread I was looking for most of the day yesterday... +reps , and tagged for interest.

After reading that thread over, I did notice for some people it did work and others it didn't. Can't figure out why though.

Maybe the mod in the post I listed will work.

Too bad I don't have my car yet, I would definitely try both mods.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I just did the button pressing mod...and i think it worked. I'm now able to turn the a/c on and off while it defrosts.

there are no confirmation lights. you just have to try it.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Interstate526
I just did the button pressing mod...and i think it worked. I'm now able to turn the a/c on and off while it defrosts.

there are no confirmation lights. you just have to try it.
Can you try this?

Put the fan setting to 1, temp to coldest, and climate to defrost (all the way to the right) and listen to see if the compressor comes on (for 5 secs) and off (for 5 secs). Timing might be a bit off but you can definitely hear it.

For me, when in defrost, i can turn A/C on/off according to the button and the light, but I know AC is always on even with the light off.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by mega56
Can you try this?

Put the fan setting to 1, temp to coldest, and climate to defrost (all the way to the right) and listen to see if the compressor comes on (for 5 secs) and off (for 5 secs). Timing might be a bit off but you can definitely hear it.

For me, when in defrost, i can turn A/C on/off according to the button and the light, but I know AC is always on even with the light off.
hmmm. i'll have my friend watch the compressor to see.
that would be pretty misleading if it was on even after deselecting the a/c.

Quick Reply: Engine fan keeps coming on!!!