2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Zune MP3 player Doesn't Work on New Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Angry Zune MP3 player Doesn't Work on New Sport

Picked up our new Sport yesterday and am disappointed to find the Microsoft Zune 80 doesn't work. Display show "unsupported".

The dealer (who is terrific by the way) says it's the first time they have encountered an MP3 player that doesn't work. They are investigating.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if there is a solution.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 AM
CBX
I don't have a Zune, but others have reported that it is not compatible, in this thread;
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...atibility.html

Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks CBX for connecting me with the prior posts. I'll remove this one. If I can figure out how!

Last edited by Honda19; 11-29-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Your Zune shouldn't work in the USB port. Per the owners manual, it is only made for USB flash drives and iPods.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:37 AM
CBX
Unfortunately, if you don't already own a Fit, you don't have the Owner's Manual.

Per Honda's web site, "The USB Audio Interface is used for direct connection to and control of some current digital audio players and other USB devices that contain MP3, WMA® or AAC music files".

The manual indeed covers only "Playing an iPod" and "Playing a USB Flash Memory Device".

I don't see that "some curent digital audio players" equals "iPods".

Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Ha! That'll teach you not to buy that Microsoft poop.

This comment is strictly stated in a positive manner. In no way do I mean disrespect to any members who have posted here.

I just don't think you should openly admit you bought a Zune.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:26 AM
should work through the aux in line though... right?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes. It works via the Aux port controlled via the player.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
i tried my ipod shuffle and it didnt work

Old 12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
I'd suggest just picking up a 4gb-8gb USB thumb drive... They are really cheap and you can just leave one in the car always instead of hooking it up every time. You can also get one as big as 32gb for like 60-70$.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM
For me this is a huge reason to not buy the Fit. I own two Zunes - one 120GB and one 8GB - and they rock as media players. I have no desire to go back to an iPod. I've used Zunes without any problem in Ford Focus rentals, and it's a major disappointment to not be able to use my "USB device" of choice in the Fit.

I wonder if Honda has any plans to fix this glaring feature gap.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
ZUNE = fail.......

Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MatthewR
For me this is a huge reason to not buy the Fit. I own two Zunes - one 120GB and one 8GB - and they rock as media players. I have no desire to go back to an iPod. I've used Zunes without any problem in Ford Focus rentals, and it's a major disappointment to not be able to use my "USB device" of choice in the Fit.

I think the problem is that the Zune doesn't appear as a USB mass storage device, therefore the Fit can't use it (the ipod doesn't appear as USB mass storage by deafult either, but that's why the stereo has explicit support for the iPod).

Just out of curiosity, aside from any vehicles with Microsoft Sync (Ford vehicles only I guess?), are there any other cars where your Zune will work through USB? There is the aux in port too which would work in a pinch...

Heck, how many aftermarket receivers will control a Zune directly?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Honda19
Thanks CBX for connecting me with the prior posts. I'll remove this one. If I can figure out how!
i believe only mods and admins can lock a thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by MatthewR

You'd really not buy a car simply b/c it won't interface with your Zune? You don't need to use an iPod, just get a USB memory stick for $15.

It's actually nice to just leave the memory stick in the car and not have to plug it in everytime you get in the car. I thought it was cool that it interfaces fine with my HTC Dream/G1 phone but plugging it in/unplugging it everytime I got in the car got old real fast.

To be perfectly honest the "glaring feature gap" here is Microsoft not letting users connect the Zune in MSC mode!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
"I wonder if Honda has any plans to fix this glaring feature gap."

iPods own the market. This isn't a glaring feature gap. So few people have Zunes that it's simply not worth the investment to design a radio around it. If it plays from a USB drive, an iPod and an iPhone you've satisfied 95%+ of the market out there.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CBX
Per Honda's web site, "The USB Audio Interface is used for direct connection to and control of some current digital audio players and other USB devices that contain MP3, WMA® or AAC music files".
Almost all the music on my iPod is ripped from CDs or downloaded as unprotected MP3 files.

So, is it possible to export my entire iTunes library to a USB flash drive, and control the flash drive through the Aux function of the Fit radio? Can the radio recognize the metadata on MP3 files without any involvement of an iPod?

Given the difference in cost/value between an 8gb USB flash drive and an iPod, this would be a very attractive option.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Yes- if the files are unprotected you can dump them into the flash drive. There is a thread about this, one issue is that they will play in the order you dragged & dropped the files.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Zune = Fail

That's why I'm a MAC. No problems with my iPhone.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd suggest getting a HideAPod!

http://hideapod.com/

It's a Zune case for your iPod. Not only will it make your iPod impervious to theft, but you'll still have that Zune look.

Quick Reply: Zune MP3 player Doesn't Work on New Sport