2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
09 speakers?

*warning* *i know very little about car audio so this might not make sense*

Thinking about putting some aftermarket speakers in my 09 fit , but since i got the navi model i cant change stereos. how much does the stereo effect the sound from the speakers? i had a cavalier before with aftermarket speakers and stereo and it sounded great, didnt even have a amp , actually i dont even understand the point of a amp? i mean your speakers can only do so loud so wouldnt you just turn up the sound till you reach that point?

any suggestions on what i should get?

and since i wont be changing stereos , this should be a easy DIY thing right? just pop out the speakers and put new ones in??

Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
hmmm well amps just help to clarify sound when you really want to crank it up. believe me, there is a huge difference between factory sound and sound from an amp pushing highs and mids with a crossover.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Yes it is as simple as pop in and pop out. But like Bryan mentions add an amp and you will be in love. Only thing is that I'm not sure if the navi system will have the hookups for it.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:35 PM
..... so how do i get the door off

Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
it is alot harder than you think. the original speaker has to be cut
out in order to put new ones in.
do a search and you will see. this has been talked about before.
they even have DIY of 07-08 but it is the same concept.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
It should be harnesses for the speakers. Just plug-n-play.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
all speakers have amps

Originally Posted by Tounge73
i had a cavalier before with aftermarket speakers and stereo and it sounded great, didnt even have a amp , actually i dont even understand the point of a amp?

A amp is the power for the motor (speaker). The cavalier had an amp in the head unit. The more gain (power pushed from an amp) you use the more Total Harmonic Distortion (noise interference) you get. To get clean sound most amps should not be pushed past about 75% in my opinion. Some speakers (motors) require more power to run efficiently. Does not necessarily play louder! Heavier more rigid speakers require external amplification to get the best sound. Most aftermarket head units will push 25 watts per speaker at best. Most stock around 15w. Many good speakers like 50-100w. If you use a stock head unit buy low wattage speakers. Go to Crutchfield.com and read. it is great for newbs.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:15 PM
are these any good? what would yall recommend? trying not to spend too too much so i am looking like in the 100-150 range for a pair

Alpine - Type-S 6-1/2" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Poly-Mica Cones (Pair) - SPS-600

Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
are these any good? what would yall recommend? trying not to spend too too much so i am looking like in the 100-150 range for a pair

Alpine - Type-S 6-1/2" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Poly-Mica Cones (Pair) - SPS-600

Those are great speakers!
They are a terrible choice to match with a stock head unit.

Pros- Silk is a soft material that produces voice well
- Tweeters tilt for better imaging

Neutral- Silk does not produce symbal work as well as a harder material (aluminum,titanium)

Cons - Poor sensitivity means these babies need power! They like as much as 80 watts. You will be pushing 10w stock. They will not be loud. You will not get the sound you've payed for.

Asking a forum what speakers sound good is a terrible way to shop. Audio quality is subjective. Half the people will tell you they are the best ever. The rest will say the worst. You've got to go to a store and listen, or at least study speaker materials and consider what kind of sound you like.

Last edited by MPGASAP; 11-26-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 PM
so what should i do since i cant replace the navi unit?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
so what should i do since i cant replace the navi unit?
Well you've got a ton of options. I'll start with the easiest. Run a more efficient speaker. If you like Alpine these would be much better suited to our low wattage head units.

Alpine SPS-17C2 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

You'll notice that these speakers are less expensive, more efficient, and yet still made of quality materials. I'll try not to go over your head while explaining efficiency. It is measured in the car audio world by SPL. For every +3 SPL sound volume doubles. For example a speaker at 88db SPL and 50 watts will play the same volume as a 91db SPL speaker at 25 watts. The higher the SPL the better in your case. Even though sound doubles in reality at +3 db SPL, the human ear does not recognize double volume until around +10 db SPL. This mean that since your original speakers you suggested are 88 db SPL, and the ones I recommended are 92 db SPL (+5 SPL) they will sound 25% louder. They will also move the motor structure more efficiently, so when the speaker hits it returns to it's original position better so it is ready to hit again. A speaker hitting in its pushed out position will sound bad, distort, and can damage speakers.

Last edited by MPGASAP; 11-26-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
i dont seem to understand the difference between the ones i posted and these , if my head unit is low , like u said 10W , then how would these sound better than the ones i posted? , like i said in the 1st post i know next to nothing about car audio so forgive me if this is a stupid question

Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
i dont seem to understand the difference between the ones i posted and these , if my head unit is low , like u said 10W , then how would these sound better than the ones i posted? , like i said in the 1st post i know next to nothing about car audio so forgive me if this is a stupid question

I'll try not to go over your head while explaining efficiency. It is measured in the car audio world by SPL. For every +3 SPL sound volume doubles. For example a speaker at 88db SPL and 50 watts will play the same volume as a 91db SPL speaker at 25 watts. The higher the SPL the better in your case. Even though sound doubles in reality at +3 db SPL, the human ear does not recognize double volume until around +10 db SPL. This mean that since your original speakers you suggested are 88 db SPL, and the ones I recommended are 92 db SPL (+5 SPL) they will sound 25% louder. They will also move the motor structure more efficiently, so when the speaker hits it returns to it's original position better so it is ready to hit again. A speaker hitting in its pushed out position will sound bad, distort, and can damage speakers.

I know this is complex for some one that does not understand speakers. I'm happy to help with any questions. Like I said do some research at Crutchfield.com They aren't hardcore audiophiles, but will be perfect helping some one with no knowledge of car audio. They're free to help you. The best customer service in the biz. High prices though.

Last edited by MPGASAP; 11-26-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Now that you've taken all that in. Here is the easy way!
Go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. They have walls of speakers and head-units that have buttons to enable them. Find a cheap head unit with low RMS wattage (15 watts). Bring a CD with some of your music. Keep it at the same volume. This will be comparable to the amp in your car. Now press the speaker button. Which one sounds best? BUY IT! Negotiate free installation!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 PM
but wont it sound different on my head unit then the one on the wall at bestbuy?

-edit- o , thats why u say find a headunit with low rms ...

time to go to bestbuy with a kpop cd :-P

-edit2- also , what do you normally set your treble/bass at? i run mine at tre+3 bas-2. just wondering what others use

Last edited by Tounge73; 11-27-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
but wont it sound different on my head unit then the one on the wall at bestbuy?

-edit- o , thats why u say find a headunit with low rms ...
YES! In actuality it will. 80% of people would never be able to hear the difference. 20% would say they could. 15% of that 20 would be lying pompous audiophiles. You will not be able to tell a discernible difference!

It is why I recommend a inexpensive low RMS wattage unit! You are becoming an audio master. Soon you will be a pompous elitist who says they can hear the difference between a $2500 power amp and a $15000 power amp.

Take these tools you've learned, and trust YOUR ear to make the best purchase for YOU!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Your final consideration will be do they fit in the Fit! Not just diameter, but depth. Call Crutchfield.com They are the masters of data basing speakers to specific autos! FREE! Do not have to buy from them!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
well , if i try to get best buy/ circuit city to install them , wont they be able to tell if it fits or not when i buy them?

Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
well , if i try to get best buy/ circuit city to install them , wont they be able to tell if it fits or not when i buy them?
of course! they may even "rig" them in there if they don't