2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

List of Safest Cars: Fit (with ESC)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 AM
List of Safest Cars: Fit (with ESC)

FYI, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s list of the safest cars includes 13 Honda's (Ford/Volvo has the most with 16). It included the Fit with ESC as the first minicar to earn the award.

"The selected vehicles are tops in protecting people in front, side and rear crash tests based on institute evaluations during the year. The vehicles are required to have electronic stability control, or ESC, to qualify for the award."

Most impressive for me was that Honda/Acura had vehicles in nearly every vehicle segment.

Ford, Volvo lead annual list of safest vehicles - Autos- msnbc.com

Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Honda's safety record is commendable, however, I'm disappointed that they didn't make ESC (VSA) standard on all '09 Fits (or, at the very least, optional). Honda's motto/philosophy is "Safety For Everyone," yet they didn't deem it necessary to offer ESC this year, save for the navi model. Many Fit buyers are relatively new drivers, who especially need this safety feature. I rarely question Honda's wisdom, but this oversight has me scratching my head...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
i'm just glad to see it must have a good deal of crash worthiness. i'm more concerned about taking a hit from somebody else than i am about me freaking out needing my vsa to kick in. i have 2 kids and i had to give some definite consideration to just what i was buying here. glad to see i didnt make a mistake on the fit.

oh, and did you see what a Mini did to a Tahoe?? checkit:

http://jalopnik.com/5096933/chevy-tahoe-messes-with-texas-mini-cooper-pays-price

Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by thirdeyebrian
i'm just glad to see it must have a good deal of crash worthiness. i'm more concerned about taking a hit from somebody else than i am about me freaking out needing my vsa to kick in. i have 2 kids and i had to give some definite consideration to just what i was buying here. glad to see i didnt make a mistake on the fit.
I think you made a very intelligent choice going with a Fit for your family. Despite my questioning Honda's ommission of ASV, I believe the Fit is one of the safest small cars on the planet. In my opinion, a Fit with ASV would be even better, however, lack of this option wouldn't influence my purchase decision in the least.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 AM
one of the reasons i bought this car was for it's airbags and vsc safety features. the ace cage construction. looks like i made a solid choice. small car with strong safety features is a go for me.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Silly Monkey
Honda's safety record is commendable, however, I'm disappointed that they didn't make ESC (VSA) standard on all '09 Fits (or, at the very least, optional). Honda's motto/philosophy is "Safety For Everyone," yet they didn't deem it necessary to offer ESC this year, save for the navi model. Many Fit buyers are relatively new drivers, who especially need this safety feature. I rarely question Honda's wisdom, but this oversight has me scratching my head...
Good points. VSA isn't even available on any Canadian Fits. Honda's motto/philosophy is "Safety For Everyone". (Everyone except Canadians).

Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
this is good info. also good for lower insurance rates.