2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Lack of Tire replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
MAD
Lack of Tire replacements

This may be in the wrong forum, but has anybody checked TireRack for replacement tires for their 09' model Fit's?

I don't actually have the car but one of the first things I do before purchasing one is check out what tire replacements are going to run me.

Turns out,there's only 3 options on Tire Racks site for the stock 16" wheels. Both OEM tires and then a Blizzak winter tire.

I realize the 09' model year Fit's are fairly new, but this isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy feeling. I can't figure out why Honda would do go and re-do the size tire required for the wheels they stuck on the Sport models.

Seriously, I'm sure theres people out there swearing both the Dunlop and Bridgestone OEM tires are crap, leaving nothing but a nice soft,easy to wear out snow tire lol. Not exactly what somebody down south or out west is going to want to replace their tires with.

Something like this probably won't totally stop me in my tracks of pulling the trigger for an 09, but its kinda making me think maybe save some money and find an 08 and keep things a little more open as far as my options.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
seriously, you cant find a 16" tire?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 PM
MAD
Check it out. Did the search for 2009 Honda Fit Sport - 3 results

Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you're tryin to race every musclecar out there, you shouldn't need new tires for a while. By then, more options will surface. Also, you don't have to get the stock size for these rims...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
yeah replace them with 205/50's

The 185/55's are weaksauce...

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
MAD
Originally Posted by concorde
Unless you're tryin to race every musclecar out there, you shouldn't need new tires for a while. By then, more options will surface. Also, you don't have to get the stock size for these rims...

You're kidding right? You do realize there's people out there who won't buy anything but a certain brand of tire, or refuse to have a certain of tire on their car,or others that will look for bad reviews and move on to the next one. Its not a question of wearing them out,its a question of preference.

Maybe I live in Florida and want to take a few quick curves on the way home from work and I want a more performance based tire than the stock all-seasons that are on there. Not a whole lot of tire choices for the STOCK size.

Upsizing the tires are of course always an option. As BakedCookies mentioned, the 205/50/16 option leaves many choices to pick from.

Still kinda weird that Honda picked a size with very few manufacturers out there who make tires in that specific size.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 PM
My guess is that Honda uses 185/55's because they're cheaper, have less wind resistance, and lower rolling resistance. When mine are ready for replacement, I'm going to 205/50's. Tirerack lists 33 different 205/50-16's if you filter for extreme/ultra/high perf summer + ultra/high all weather.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Just noticed that you can get the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's in a 205/50-16. I have these tires on my M3 and my Boxster, they're extremely good high pefromance tires. Cheaper than Michelin Pilots, extremely good dry grip, excellent wet grip, they stay in balance, they're quiet, and they also have a higher wear rating. That's what I'm going to get when the OEM Dunlops are gone.

UPDATE: whoa! Tirerack is having a close-out on these tires, they're only $56 each! That's an insane deal, I'm getting 4 right now.

Last edited by pbanders; 11-20-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by MAD
I realize the 09' model year Fit's are fairly new, but this isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy feeling. I can't figure out why Honda would do go and re-do the size tire required for the wheels they stuck on the Sport models.

What do you guys think?

I think if this was really a big concern of yours you would have considered it before buying the vehicle.

I would not predict a lot of options in the stock size unless a few other vehicles out there begin to use the same size.

The stock tires on both of my 2007 Fits sucked ass. One was a base and one was a Sport. So I could see you anxiousness to possibly change the tires.

As I think I saw mentioned in another post, look for a size that will keep pretty much the same overall diameter but might be a different profile height or width.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MAD
You're kidding right? You do realize there's people out there who won't buy anything but a certain brand of tire, or refuse to have a certain of tire on their car,or others that will look for bad reviews and move on to the next one. Its not a question of wearing them out,its a question of preference.

Maybe I live in Florida and want to take a few quick curves on the way home from work and I want a more performance based tire than the stock all-seasons that are on there. Not a whole lot of tire choices for the STOCK size.

Upsizing the tires are of course always an option. As BakedCookies mentioned, the 205/50/16 option leaves many choices to pick from.

Still kinda weird that Honda picked a size with very few manufacturers out there who make tires in that specific size.
Yes, there are people who stick to a certain brand, no matter what.

My statement about racing everything out there was hypothetical. With spirited driving, whether it be occasional or frequent, tires should still last quite some time.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
MAD
Originally Posted by StormSilverGD3
I think if this was really a big concern of yours you would have considered it before buying the vehicle.
Ahhh,somebody wasn't reading-I haven't YET, therefor it is

Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
aha! shame on me. lol that's what i get for browsing the forums at work.