2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Armrests are installed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Armrests are installed.

First off... Pics tomorrow. I did it in the dark with a droplight.

The armrests arrived from Bernardi today.

The instructions for installation are available here: Instructions PDF file

Print them or pull them up in an adjacent window and follow along with me as I share a few thoughts after installing the two in the Base and the Sport:
As for the tools required, A Unibit (stepped drill bit) is fine if you don't have a 3mm and 8mm drill bit. I didn't. Measure the step that's about 8mm and put some tape above that one so you don't go too far. Even if you do, the 8mm holes they want you to drill are hidden. And for the 20mm hole saw, I used a 3/4 wood boring bit. The flat kind. Worked great.

Steps 1-4
The Sport loses it's stock armrest. I tried to keep it installed, but it won't clear the new armrest. Those bolts are pretty tight. Get some leverage. A 14mm deep socket works, or a combination wrench to get the the two "vehicle bolts" out.

Steps 5-9
Be careful when taking the bolts out of the emergency brake bracket since one could fall out of your hands and travel down underneath the carpet causing a half hour of cursing and unsuccessful use of magnets. Don't ask me how I know. Should this happen, don't get upset (I can say that now),just loosen the plastic trim by the door sills and you can reach under the rug and find the bolt.
Oh, and notice the instructions mention what to do with a manual transmission car. I guess you can use the armrest with a stick.

Steps 10 to the end...
The pushpin idea is nice, but instead I heated a thin pointy object so that I could make a good pilot hole right where I needed to. This helped the Unibit stay centered, and the 3/4 wood boring bit do their jobs. Careful tightening the self tapping screws, they'll strip easily.

Other stuff to consider - you lose a cupholder, but gain a storage area inside the armrest that's got a document holder in the lid. The armrest seems pretty comfy. It also looks to be made of about 3 different shades of plastic. I don't know if any of them match anything else in the car. Then again I did the work in the dark with dome light, map light, and drop light. Pics tomorrow. The top of the armrest slides forward. Easily. Not so for so sliding it back. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I had to hit it to make it go back.

I think the car needed an armrest. The Civic had one, and it was used always. The Odyssey had singles that folded from the side of the seat like the Sport's did. Never fond of that design though.

I'll see how it feels to drive with the thing.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Great thread so far man, thanks! I chose HID's and LED's all around for my first mods (should be shipped soon....?), but the armrest is on "the list" .

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Any feedback on the comfort of the armwrest? What about the match to existing plastics in the cabin? Thanks! I started to order one from bernardi w/ the $25 discount coupon you get from the extended warranty, but the order failed. Figured it was fate and I should do a little more research.

Thanks again

Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by S0L_GT
Any feedback on the comfort of the armwrest? What about the match to existing plastics in the cabin? Thanks! I started to order one from bernardi w/ the $25 discount coupon you get from the extended warranty, but the order failed. Figured it was fate and I should do a little more research.

Thanks again
The armrests have added comfort to the driving experience, as well as a new place to stash things, including the vehicle documents which are held by a little clip built in to the armrest lid. My wife and I are both enjoying the armrests as it provides a place to lean on during both our boring commutes and spirited high speed turns.

As for the match, it's adequate. The cabin's got so many colors in it as it is, what's a couple more? LOL.

Shipping was fast and reasonable from Bernardi, that's where I've been getting my stuff so far.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks!

Great! Thanks for the fast feedback!

My previous post about the discount was incorrect, I purchased from Saccuchi and they gave the $25 discount on an accessory with the purchase of a warranty.