2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

PRM Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 PM
PRM
sweet as pie

the final product will look sweet, all polished.
your choice of silicone color- Blue-Black & Red.

gerry

Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 PM
LoL I have the honour of driving around with that in for the time being, and I have to say it does look a lot better than what the stock box looks like.

Also Gerry and I took apart the stock box trying to figure out it's pros and that little cover on the left side of the inlet was a complete waste of space,time, and money on the screw holding it and the cover (lid). It did absolutely nothing it's a dead end space that only covered the pipe that goes underneath the filter.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
i'm in on this group buy.

being in cali how strict are cops pullling over people with this mod? is this mod loud?

where do you feel the power when you are driving.

thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by barams
i'm in on this group buy.

being in cali how strict are cops pullling over people with this mod? is this mod loud?

where do you feel the power when you are driving.

thanks
Cops do not pull drivers over because they have after-market intakes. If you get pulled over, it will be due to something else- lights, illegally dark tint, missing front license plate, or your driving.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Cops do not pull drivers over because they have after-market intakes. If you get pulled over, it will be due to something else- lights, illegally dark tint, missing front license plate, or your driving.

cool. thanks for your response. how do you like your prm intake? i have an auto and saw a few people that had some questions about the fit.

is $260 worth the 5hp bump?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah, it is. Intake, header, and exhaust is worth the ~$1,000

Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned
cool. thanks for your response. how do you like your prm intake? i have an auto and saw a few people that had some questions about the fit.

is $260 worth the 5hp bump?
Is the cost of after-market intakes worth it? That is entirely subjective. It is worth the cost to me. It may not be worth it to you. You can spend a LOT more than the cost of a PRM intake, but not get any better performance. NO intake, SRI, CAI, or Chamber will make more than 5-7 hp & lbs/ft of torque.

The '09s have even less room in the engine bay than the 1st. gen cars, and IMO, the stock intake is a cheap, compromise, piece of crap. About the size of a recipe box that belongs to someone who never cooks (tiny). Add in the sound baffles that create turbulence, and you have a very restrictive intake. Remove the restrictions and the engine breathes easier, provides more power, and depending upon driving techniques, better fuel economy. You also save money and environmental harm by having a filter that never needs to be thrown into a land fill and replaced. Just clean it.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
thanks all max for your help. i'm seriously considering this.

i read something about hydrolock. was this a concern for this?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned
thanks all max for your help. i'm seriously considering this.

i read something about hydrolock. was this a concern for this?
Absolutely not. On earlier model Fits, Cold Air Intakes had tubes that went down behind the bumper, and the filter was mounted there. When driving through deep standing water, the engine vacuum could suck up enough water to destroy several components of a cylinder in a fraction of a second. Some CAI makers offer special inline valves that are meant to prevent water from entering the throttle body.

In my opinion, there is not enough performance gain from any CAI to put up with the amount of dirt on the filter that it picks up in both wet or dry weather being positioned behind the bumper, 6-10" above the pavement. And how cold can THAT be in the Summer? 150 degrees ain't cold.

For '09 Fits, any future CAI system will require alteration of the body or engine bay components to provide a path for the intake tubing. On older Fits, the PRM intake acted as a completely protected CAI because the filter/air inlet is mounted directly in front of the big hole in the inner fender well where the stock intake picks up cold air from the fender well. Water does not come in that hole unless the whole front end of the car is submerged in at least three feet of water. In that case, hydrolock is the least of your problems.

The '09s do not have that hole, and the only source of cold air comes from the air scoop and duct that is fastened to the underside of the hood on the driver side. The air flows through the scoop and ductwork and gets dumped into the back driver side corner against the firewall. The stock intake is just an open tube directly under the brake fluid reservoir.

The new PRM JetStream Intake places the inlet and filter in front of the battery and facing the fender liner. That is the only place where there is enough room for the filter. Remember that the filter is internal, NOT external as is the case with all other intakes. So now, cold air flows into the engine bay, hits the firewall, and flows forward around the battery to be picked up by the PRM filter. Unless you drive into water deep enough to submerge the front end up to the hood, hydrolock is not possible.

With the overcrowded nature of the engine bay in the '09 Fit, the PRM is the best possible after-market intake system. My personal opinion, yours may differ.

Last edited by manxman; 11-21-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Absolutely not. On earlier model Fits, Cold Air Intakes had tubes that went down behind the bumper, and the filter was mounted there. When driving through deep standing water, the engine vacuum could suck up enough water to destroy several components of a cylinder in a fraction of a second. Some CAI makers offer special inline valves that are meant to prevent water from entering the throttle body.

In my opinion, there is not enough performance gain from any CAI to put up with the amount of dirt on the filter that it picks up in both wet or dry weather being positioned behind the bumper, 6-10" above the pavement.

For '09 Fits, any future CAI system will require alteration of the body or engine bay components to provide a path for the intake tubing. On older Fits, the PRM intake acted as a completely protected CAI because the filter/air inlet is mounted directly in front of the big hole in the inner fender well where the stock intake picks up cold air from the fender well. Water does not come in that hole unless the whole front end of the car is submerged in at least three feet of water. In that case, hydrolock is the least of your problems.

The '09s do not have that hole, and the only source of cold air comes from the air scoop and duct that is fastened to the underside of the hood on the driver side. The air flows through the scoop and ductwork and gets dumped into the back driver side corner against the firewall. The stock intake is just an open tube directly under the brake fluid reservoir.

The new PRM JetStream Intake places the inlet and filter in front of the battery and facing the fender liner. That is the only place where there is enough room for the filter. Remember that the filter is internal, NOT external as is the case with all other intakes. So now, cold air flows into the engine bay, hits the firewall, and flows forward around the battery to be picked up by the PRM filter. Unless you drive into water deep enough to submerge the front end up to the hood, hydrolock is not possible.

With the overcrowded nature of the engine bay in the '09 Fit, the PRM is the best possible after-market intake system. My personal opinion, yours may differ.

dude. thanks for the explanation. totally in depth and more info than i expected. i really appreciate it. do you work for gerry? if not u should or at least get some free stuff. all the threads i read about prm you were there bumping up the product.

thanks for the help again. i'm going to join the group buy.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
get on it, I already sent Gerry my money!!!! mahahaha.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned
dude. thanks for the explanation. totally in depth and more info than i expected. i really appreciate it. do you work for gerry? if not u should or at least get some free stuff. all the threads i read about prm you were there bumping up the product.

thanks for the help again. i'm going to join the group buy.
Barams,

You are more than welcome to information. Thanks for being smart enough to ask. No, I don't work for Gerry, but it is my habit to support innovative manufacturers and/or retailers who treat their customers with respect, honesty and good service. There have been several companies advertising on these forums who do not act this way, and I try to call attention to those who do not lie, cheat or steal from forum members.

FWIW, my personal favorite vendors are PRM, Zeta Products, College Hills Honda, and The Progress Group. These people either make or market some of the very best quality products for the Fit. Of course there are others who are known to other members.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 AM
BUMP!!!!
the update is on the first post

Old 11-26-2008, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j6kwok
BUMP!!!!
the update is on the first post
Thanks dude! I'm in......

Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Man... if thats how my motor moves under the hood when i'm on it.... I'm getting motor mount inserts.lol but sounds awsome

Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 PM
1 left on the group buy.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
reviving an old thread here, im considering this intake but my main concern is I use those drive in car washes in the winter time with the underspray that cleans the bottom of the vehicle. Is the intake positioned in such a way that the water shooting up will get inside the element / intake and get sucked into the engine?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by panda1314
reviving an old thread here, im considering this intake but my main concern is I use those drive in car washes in the winter time with the underspray that cleans the bottom of the vehicle. Is the intake positioned in such a way that the water shooting up will get inside the element / intake and get sucked into the engine?
No, it is not. The cold air that reaches the PRM filter comes from the air passage next to your driver side fog light. The air flows up though the fender, inside the fender liner that surrounds the wheel. The air goes on the opposite side of the plastic fender liner panel from the wheel. Even if water could reach the filter (it can't), the worst it could do is to dampen the filter.

Look at ALL of the SRI intakes with open K&N filters hanging in the middle of the engine bay. Driving in the rain or in a car wash, they get soaked but don't cause a problem. The PRM GD3 and GE8 intakes are unaffected by water under normal driving conditions (unless you drive into a river or a swimming pool).