2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

PRM Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
My guess is you won't notice a whole hell of a lot of increased sounds from it under normal driving conditions...if you do decide to mash the throttle down every now and again, I'm sure you'll enjoy what you hear! ...from my limited experience with aftermarket intakes on previous cars...

Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Look for Gerry's new thread- Group Buy is coming immediately. Watch the PRM page in the Marketplace section.

For California buyers-- unless some intake maker finally gets their product passed by CARB and gets the CARB Exempt sticker for you to display under your hood, you will have to replace the stock intake every time you go in for Smog Inspection. I bought one of the Group Buy original PRM intakes for my '07 Sport. Used it 3 weeks, then totaled it in a crash. It took 1 minute to get the PRM off at the wrecking yard, and throw the stock intake under the hood to satisfy my insurance company that all stock parts were on the car.

I sold the PRM to another fitfreak friend, and so have the money to buy the new version PRM intake.

Try taking off any chamber, most SRI's, or any cold air intake in one minute.
Please share the group buy thread link here once active....Thanks!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 AM
Retired Moderator
I hope this will work with the AT transmission... If it does I`m in on the group buy..

Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work for AT unless if the throttle body is different, because where the Filter sits it clears everything lots of room down there

Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
interesting...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
so what were the gains with the intake? a lil confused on the dyno charts

Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
No Dyno yet gotta wait til Monday

Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 AM
PRM
up-date

hey guy's, i posted the Group Buy in the Marketing section,
10 kit limit $230 shipped, there is a up-date list of kits sold, to keep you in the loop. 8 kits left!!

thanks for the support!!

gerry

Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Dont want to be a negative nancy or anything but how is this different than any other run of the mill cold air intake?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by PRM
hey guy's, i posted the Group Buy in the Marketing section,
10 kit limit $230 shipped, there is a up-date list of kits sold, to keep you in the loop. 8 kits left!!

thanks for the support!!

gerry
... Have a link.. couldn't find it..?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
... Have a link.. couldn't find it..?
Here's the link. I ordered through PayPal today and I have AT. It will fit.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/prm-...tml#post496665

Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 AM
PRM
our filters

our filters are different then any other kit, these are inline filters
that have a tapered design (venturi effect )-check out our website for some more info wwwprmracing.com . these filters draw in air from the front of the housing, enabling us to position the inlet to a cold air area, if this was a open element filter like most other kits & put in the same location as our application, you would be drawing in hot air from the radiator. our filters draw in air from where the radiator ends,the high pressure ambient air that goes around the rad. feeds the filter with cold air, safely with no worry of hydro lock.

i hope that helps!
not to mention we have out hp'd most every kit on the market for the last ten years!!
our systems are unique- thats why its patented !!!
sorry, just had to get that out!!!!

Gerry

Last edited by PRM; 11-19-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Couple questions:

1) How easy is the install? What has to be done? What tools?

2) I am in Cali, and while I probably won't own the car long enough to need a smog test, will I fail a smog test? It might not be CARB exempt, but will it it impact a smog test?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by zakurie
Couple questions:

1) How easy is the install? What has to be done? What tools?

2) I am in Cali, and while I probably won't own the car long enough to need a smog test, will I fail a smog test? It might not be CARB exempt, but will it it impact a smog test?
Last question first- smog stations will not smog test your car with any after-market intake on the engine, unless the intake has a "C.A.R.B. EXEMPT" sticker on the intake system. The intake mfgr. has to apply to the state to obtain that sticker to be supplied with the intake system. So, you have to replace the stock intake system in order to get the smog test. You will fail a smog test because they won't test it at all, unless you have the sticker, or a stock intake.

Installation is simple. First question- you need only a flat blade screwdriver, and the appropriate size wrench to turn one bolt. On my wrecked '07 Sport with the first gen. PRM Fit intake, it took me one minute to remove the new intake so that I could sell it to a local fitfreak friend. I just threw the stock intake parts under the hood but did not install- the parts just had to be there to satisfy the insurance co. But to install the stock intake is a 5 minute job. These answers are from my experience with the 1st. Gen. Fit and 1st. Gen. PRM intake. The difference with the new car and new intake would be only a matter of a minute or two for the same procedures.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Man, i was wanting to get that Last Station intake but i might have to get this one, its cheaper and i dont have to save up as long for it

Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by PRM
our filters are different then any other kit, these are inline filters
that have a tapered design (venturi effect )-check out our website for some more info wwwprmracing.com . because the filters draw in air only from the front of the housing enables use to position the front end
of the filter to a cold air area, if this was a open element filter like most other kits & put in the same location as our filter in this application
you would be drawing in hot air from the radiator. our filters draw in air
from where the radiator ends,the high pressure ambient air that goes around the rad. feeds the filter with cold air, safely with no worry
of hydro lock.

Gerry
'09 Fits are different in a lot of ways from the 1st. Gen cars. One difference is the ram air scoop that is fastened to the underside of the hood on the driver's side. The scoop collects high pressure air from the leading edge of the hood and feeds it to the back end of the engine bay at the firewall. That is where the stock air intake is positioned- directly under the brake fluid reservoir.

On the prototype new PRM intake, Gerry has positioned the filter/air inlet of his new intake behind and beside the radiator in the fender area just ahead of the battery. That is the only area where there is room for the filter. The high pressure cold air that is forced by the stock scoop into the rear of the engine bay will flow forward around the battery to be picked up by the filter. Gerry's new system makes efficient and logical use of the stock engine bay design.

The other makers of Short Ram intakes will have a hard time doing this with their large diameter exposed filters. Those filters won't fit where the PRM filter is positioned. And Cold Air intake makers will have a harder time still. I don't see any way to scavenge cold air from outside the engine bay without cutting the plastic diffuser tray that covers the underside of the engine.

Last edited by manxman; 11-19-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
PRM
cool !!

thanks Manxman, its really cool when members answer questions
for you, Manxman got it all right!!
thanks again.

install is a snap, shouldn't take you more then 20 min.

Gerry

Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned
I'll bet ten minutes- that's what it took last time! Thanks for the fast work on this one Gerry. I hate the stock "recipe card box" intake.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Im hoping that for $230 the final product will look better.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by IS300na-t
Im hoping that for $230 the final product will look better.
If you look on the PRM web site, you can see dozens of finished products.

Quick Reply: PRM Intake