2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

14" Winter wheels+tires.... will they work on my '09 Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
14" Winter wheels+tires.... will they work on my '09 Sport?

really studied the great dialogue of FitCanadaGirl and others re: their winter galoshes....

I'd like to run 14" steelies and 185/70 R14 winter tires.... not certain if these would clear the calipers ...

It appears that 14" rims were standard on the previous generation Fit.... anyone know if the previous gen required an offset different from the '09 53mm offset?

can save mucho bucks if I can settle for the 14" uglies...

thanks in advance!

by the way... 5,800 miles on my '09 purchased 9/12 and 60% oil life remaining

Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by pennstater
really studied the great dialogue of FitCanadaGirl and others re: their winter galoshes....

I'd like to run 14" steelies and 185/70 R14 winter tires.... not certain if these would clear the calipers ...

It appears that 14" rims were standard on the previous generation Fit.... anyone know if the previous gen required an offset different from the '09 53mm offset?

can save mucho bucks if I can settle for the 14" uglies...

thanks in advance!

by the way... 5,800 miles on my '09 purchased 9/12 and 60% oil life remaining
I asked this question of the folks at Bernardi's, as they had a GREAT deal on Gen I 15" alloy wheels ($45 @, IIRC) for my winters.
They told me that the Gen I and II wheels DO NOT interchange; no specific reason given. I ended up with 16" alloys and Blizzaks from the Tire Rack (caveat emptor; some of their staff know less about tires/wheels than a blind pig knows about Christmas). They are sitting in a neat stack in the garage, waiting for the season to change.
Moon
BTW, I feel your pain about Iowa.
M

Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 AM
using 14" or 15" steelies on '09 sport.... update?

Hello-- any update from anyone who has tried using 14" or 15" steelies on '09 Fit Sport for winter ?....

Also -- is there any chance the '08 stock 15" steel or alloy rims would work on the '09 Sport with winter tires?

My preference is to go with a 175mm width tire for better snow/ice performance... but options are really limited with the new '09 Sport specs...

Thanks in advance,
Denis -- Michigan

Old 12-18-2008, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Hello-- any update from anyone who has tried using 14" or 15" steelies on '09 Fit Sport for winter ?....

Also -- is there any chance the '08 stock 15" steel or alloy rims would work on the '09 Sport with winter tires?

My preference is to go with a 175mm width tire for better snow/ice performance... but options are really limited with the new '09 Sport specs...

Thanks in advance,
Denis -- Michigan
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post519921

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 PM
winter wheels update -- going with alloys on my '09 Fit Sport from tirerack.com

Just wanted to update what I ended up choosing to try for my '09 Fit Sport winter fitments...

since steelies from Honda were pricey, I ordered the following from Tirerack.com this afternoon:

QTY SIZE & DESCRIPTION AVAILABILITY PRICE EA.
4 175/65R-15 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 In Stock $74.00
1 BS/FS Registration Card In Stock N/C
1 BS/FS Warranty Packet In Stock N/C
4 15x6.5 Sport Edition CD SATML In Stock $89.00
4 Required centering ring In Stock N/C
4 Sport Edition center cap In Stock N/C
16 Required lugnut for vehicle In Stock N/C
4 Retaining clip for al-p ring + In Stock N/C
4 Mount and Balance (No Charge)

Shipping Method: UPS GROUND
Shipping Out of: Indiana

Order Total: $717.89

Vehicle: 09 Honda Fit Sport

I had seriously considered ordering Blizzak LM-25 tires in the stock Fit Sport 185/55-16 size and just swapping onto my current rims... but the price ended up being around $550 total installed-- and I'd have the hassle and expense of swapping around twice each year... so thought the deal above sounded better... I'll update in the near future with my impression of the new wheel setup.
-Denis, Michigan

Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 PM
15 inch steel rims from discounttires

I posted this somewhere else but I'm not sure how to link it, might be helpful for someone:

I ended up buying 4 steel wheels from Discount Tires (a physical location not the internet store, although they most likely sell the same rims) for my 09 FIT SPORT for around $45 each. They have 41mm offset, which I thought could be a problem from reading a few posts since the Honda steel rims have 53mm offset, but I asked Discount Tires to try them on for me and there were no caliper clearance issues. Currently I have them installed on my car with 175/65-15 tires I bought from tirerack.com and everything works great. This is the first time I bought separate winter tires+rims for my car and I will never go back to driving on all-season tires during the winter. The only thing I had to buy that I did not expect were lug nuts, since the Honda ones did not work with the steel wheels (something about them being rounded instead of cone-like at the end that rests against the wheel), which was around $42 for 16 of them.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by krymar1
I posted this somewhere else but I'm not sure how to link it, might be helpful for someone:

I ended up buying 4 steel wheels from Discount Tires (a physical location not the internet store, although they most likely sell the same rims) for my 09 FIT SPORT for around $45 each. They have 41mm offset, which I thought could be a problem from reading a few posts since the Honda steel rims have 53mm offset, but I asked Discount Tires to try them on for me and there were no caliper clearance issues. Currently I have them installed on my car with 175/65-15 tires I bought from tirerack.com and everything works great. This is the first time I bought separate winter tires+rims for my car and I will never go back to driving on all-season tires during the winter. The only thing I had to buy that I did not expect were lug nuts, since the Honda ones did not work with the steel wheels (something about them being rounded instead of cone-like at the end that rests against the wheel), which was around $42 for 16 of them.
Krymar1 -- I saw your earlier post, and it was helpful to me--Thanks !! In fact, I went to my local DiscountTire and asked about doing the exact same fitment as you mentioned.... but, they were talking $60/wheel, and then there's lugnuts, and if desired, hubcaps... and then they had to order in proper tires, mount, etc.... it all added up to being a lot more trouble and $$ than me buying the nicer alloy wheels from Tirerack already mounted with the WS-60 Blizzaks... TireRack has always treated me well, and I'm hopeful this purchase will work out well for me. I'll update after getting my wheels (they are scheduled to arrive Monday)...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Just wanted to update what I ended up choosing to try for my '09 Fit Sport winter fitments...

PS GROUND
ShOrder Total: $717.89

Vehicle: 09 Honda Fit Sport

I had seriously considered ordering Blizzak LM-25 tires in the stock Fit Sport 185/55-16 size and just swapping onto my current rims... but the price ended up being around $550 total installed-- and I'd have the hassle and expense of swapping around twice each year... so thought the deal above sounded better... I'll update in the near future with my impression of the new wheel setup.
-Denis, Michigan
This is the route I followed, along with alloy wheels; more money, but I HATE messing with getting tires mounted and remounted.
Thus far I'm happy with the LM-25s.
Moon