2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Are the Fits still flying off the dealer's lots?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Around here (Cincinnati OH), it depends. At some dealers I check, they come off the truck and they're sold. A few others still have the same one or two they had last month. MT sports are definitely gone before they come off the truck. My preferred dealer hasn't had one in a month. Civics on the other hand don't appear to be moving much. I thought about going that way, but I like the Fit better and decided to stick with what I want rather than what I could get.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:11 AM
I have check out a few dealerships nearby. They all had plenty of unsold cars, at least 10-15 stocks. Most of them are willing to do below MSRP, but some are still set on MSRP.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by 5hole
Around here (Cincinnati OH), it depends. At some dealers I check, they come off the truck and they're sold. A few others still have the same one or two they had last month. MT sports are definitely gone before they come off the truck.
I find the same thing here in Oregon. It's hard to find a MT Sport but pretty easy to find anything in AT (navi, non-navi, and base).

Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
hmm i work at chevrona nd honda north always takes their cars to fill up over there and wash their cars there.. they do sell the Fits fast every single one that comes new to the lot always end up getting sold the very next day or so but on the same time honda north and clawson dont get much fits... well they do but i guess they are still selling good... some ups and downs...

Old 11-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I waited two months in Ann Arbor MI for a white sport.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:39 PM
There are 2 in Sumter, SC (red and white) at Goodwin Honda and have been there for at least a week now. I pass them everyday.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
There are 2 in Sumter, SC (red and white) at Goodwin Honda and have been there for at least a week now. I pass them everyday.
wooooo sumter! i used to live there!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
not so much anymore. we have a bunch and they are really old age units but than again gas isnt so bad as it is in other states

Old 11-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
wooooo sumter! i used to live there!

I am glad I don't. I only work there.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Until gas prices rise to $4 again the whole auto business will be in a slump. And even then only Fits and the like will sell, no matter the manufacturer.
That's exactly what is happening. When I bought my Fit, I asked my salesperson how business was - she said it was bad, if it wasn't for people who lease, they wouldn't be selling anything. My lease was ending, and unless people need to replace a car, they won't... they'll drive whatever they have today until it reaches the car graveyard in this economy.

And given the price of gas has gone down (below 2 bucks today for regular here) so much... there isn't even a reason for those who have gas guzzlers to get something new to save on gas.

So the bottom line is the auto industry is going through hell at the moment - should have waited a month and I'd have gotten a ton better deal but oh well, I'm really really happy with my Fit.

In part - I bought the Fit because I preferred to get a Honda, and the Fit was the cheapest... and I didn't want to lease or finance. There were other reasons (Magic Seats - a godsend) but price was a big factor. Can't imagine people making many expensive purchases right now.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by neteng101
And given the price of gas has gone down (below 2 bucks today for regular here) so much... there isn't even a reason for those who have gas guzzlers to get something new to save on gas.
This is the part I don't understand. I went to my preferred dealer today. They had a AT Sport w/ Navi. I was sold. Then they gave me a number for my trade. Yes, it's an F-350 Diesel. But still, it was an awful number. Like you said, there isn't a reason for me to get rid of it if I am only worried about mileage. Four months ago the number was reasonable, but we were looking at an Odyssey then. Sure, the number should be lower than then. But not just more than half. Hello, no one is here looking at cars. Shouldn't you treat me a bit better than if you had even one person wanting to buy a car???? How can you look me in the eye and act like you are selling a bunch when the lot is no different that a month ago other than the incoming cars????

Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Dealers are stupid. A month ago, a Fit at MSRP is fine. Now, if they don't budge, I'd walk. Trades are hard - unfortunate but they have woken up to the fact that despite what book values might be, the reality is very different. If they take in your trade, I doubt if they'll be making money even by giving you next to nothing for it. Which is another reason why cars aren't going to sell... cause you get next to nothing on a trade in.

What a vicious self feeding downward spiral the auto industry is in. And bailing out Detroit is like putting a white whale on life support.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Was at my local dealer yesterday picking up my mats and noticed no Fits on the lot. Asked salesman about them and he said that they are still being pre-sold months in advance.

Probably has a lot to do with what part of the country you are in...

Old 11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Drove pass the Redwood City dealer today (Nov 16) and saw the same 3 Fits sitting in the lot, and one in the showroom. It doesn't help when they add in a $1850 markup. They've been there for over a week and a half now. Maybe even longer.

The dealers seem to be living in an alternative universe from the rest of us consumers. With silicon Valley laying off left and right, housing collapse, inflation, Big 3 troubles, Bank troubles, these people are adding 1850 on top of their Fits? What a joke. Once the weather turns cold and rainy in Dec and as consumers cut Xmas spending, we'll see how dealers with markups do. Let's see how many (any) cars they can even sell.

Business in malls are slow, or near dead, and they have the nerve to tag on $1850 to their cars. Earth to Dealers, Earth to Dealers...!! Dotcom went bust long ago, it's time to leave the reality distortion field and come back down to earth.

Last edited by lunchtimereader; 11-16-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: changed sentence
Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
Dealers are stupid. A month ago, a Fit at MSRP is fine. Now, if they don't budge, I'd walk. Trades are hard - unfortunate but they have woken up to the fact that despite what book values might be, the reality is very different. If they take in your trade, I doubt if they'll be making money even by giving you next to nothing for it. Which is another reason why cars aren't going to sell... cause you get next to nothing on a trade in.

What a vicious self feeding downward spiral the auto industry is in. And bailing out Detroit is like putting a white whale on life support.
I feel so lucky I really got an excellent deal on my trade in, they gave me blue book on it (+ it needed quite a bit of work)........then paid MSRP for the Fit..

Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 AM
went to penske honda in ontario,ca a week ago and they had lots of fits in their back lot. they only had three in the front showing. with gas at their current price, and the state of the economy, and more fits showing up at dealers, one should be able to get a fit under msrp now. i am looking to get one within a month and hope to get a very good deal.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h

Good old Shaw AFB. Is Mike still at Goodman Honda?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by BobbyK
Pensacola Honda has 10 09 Fits, and they have been there for two weeks. You cant give away any new cars here.

That is because those AHOLES are too proud to let them go at anything less than 700 over MSRP.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Dealers are a business. They don't take your trade unless they beleive they will resell it in no more than a month, or at an auction house..
and Pensacola Honda had to hold on to my truck that I traded for over 2 months...I bought my Fit in June and it was being test driven on Hwy 29 in Pcola two months and three days after I traded it...nobody wants a 14mpg lifted truck

Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I am confident that starting about now, the dealers will have to remove their markups, unless they want to use the cars as yard decorations. People simply don't have the money. I will look for a Fit in January, after our economic orgy of spending, when everyone will be even more tapped out and stressed out.

Quick Reply: Are the Fits still flying off the dealer's lots?