2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone driven their Fit in the snow yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Anyone driven their Fit in the snow yet?

Wondering about any experiences good or bad with the 09 in the snow. We have had our 09 Fit Sport MT for 2 months now and are thinking about snow tires...limited availability, so wondering how the stock all season tires handle in the snow and ice. Any suggestions on a rim/tire package?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:09 AM
CBX
No snow here yet, but check this thread;
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...fit-sport.html

Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
shouldn't be too long before we start seeing a noticable amount of snow where I am, so I can give updates then...since the tires are pretty much brand spanking new, I don't think I'll be getting winter tires this year. I've been driving with all seasons for years on my corolla, granted those were 13" and about 2cm thinner in width than the fit, but pretty much same stuff. As long as you're fairly careful and aware of your surroundings and drivers it should be fine. I don't see a good reason why the fit would somehow drive/handle worse in snow compared to any other new vehicle ,especially in its class.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 AM
no snow in CT yet but im sure it will drive like any FWD !!!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
We had almost a foot of snow here last week, but I left the Fit in the garage and drove the Ridgeline instead. That thing (the RL) is amazing in snow.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
I have been looking for a thread like this, but since no one has snow yet... I am going to be the first reviewer. Unless someone owns a 09 and lives in Alaska. My dad lives up there and they have had snow for a month now.

I live in MQT Michigan, bordering Canada. Its snowing today, no substantial accumulation as of yet. But there will be shortly

I went to all the tires shops no one carries snow tires, or any tires for this car. So I am going to test my luck with the Factory tires. I will let you all know how this pans out.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:56 PM
jcm
Originally Posted by mdbrich
I have been looking for a thread like this, but since no one has snow yet... I am going to be the first reviewer. Unless someone owns a 09 and lives in Alaska. My dad lives up there and they have had snow for a month now.

I live in MQT Michigan, bordering Canada. Its snowing today, no substantial accumulation as of yet. But there will be shortly

I went to all the tires shops no one carries snow tires, or any tires for this car. So I am going to test my luck with the Factory tires. I will let you all know how this pans out.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ease-help.html

I do! I have been driving a '98 Neon with decent all-season tires for the past winter through the summer and it performed great during the winter. I wish I could say the same for the Fit. I'm not sure if it's the ABS or the quality of the tires, but I do not feel comfortable at all driving on ice compared to the neon.

I'm currently in the market for some good winter tires for my '09 Sport. I've been having grave difficulty finding something in the 185/55/r16 variety. Looks like the Blizzak LM-25 is my only real option.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
It is snowing now. Have about an inch on the grass. Roads are still a mostly rain mix at the moment. It is 7pm. It will continue to snow tonight and into the morning. I will give my first review. Maybe even take a video hows that sound hah.

My fit has about 2500 miles on it, so new tires lets see how we fair in the Upper Peninsula

Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I went from a Ford Ranger XLT to the Fit and I have to say that I feel better driving the Fit front wheel drive. We have not gotten any really deep suff but what we had last year the car did great on the road. The only thing that worries me is a really deep snow and then the Fit becomes a snow plow. I drove using the stock tires and did not have any traction issues. I just pray we never have another winter like 1978 we had 21 inches. The Fit would be buried in that much snow.

Cat :x

Old 11-09-2008, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
21 inches? are we talking one day snowfall, or a whole years?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm currently in the market for some good winter tires for my '09 Sport. I've been having grave difficulty finding something in the 185/55/r16 variety. Looks like the Blizzak LM-25 is my only real option.
Remember , you don't have to get the exact same size tire as stock for snows .
In fact , you are better off getting smaller(narrower) tires for driving in the snow .
I ended up getting 1.85x65x14 Hankook iPikes .

Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
We had a snowfall about a month ago (that's long since melted) and I found the all-seasons weren't awful.

Still, bad winter tires beat good all-seasons. I will never own a vehicle without having a set of winter tires again (unless I get myself a summer toy car that will never see snow).

Michelin X-Ice and Yokohama Ice Guards are available in the stock sizes that the Fit takes. We bought the Yokos.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
The way home was very windy with a small amount of snow. I found that the car gets blown around quite a bit, but it held its line for the most part when hitting a patch of packed snow. I think I would be much safer with a set of winter tires, but the all-seasons will have to do.