2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Heating system in '09 - fluctuates alot???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
You find me a place to get cheap red emblems (front, rear and steering wheel) that fit perfectly, and I will definitely give you + rep . And don't refer me to JDM 'cause he said he's not taking orders until next year :X
I have a place here in SoCal that would likely have your emblems, but since you're in Edmonton it'll be a little pricey.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Wow, you really are desperate! Come on folks, up his rep to get him out of 13. The Pufferfit is at stake here with all this bad karma....

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I have a place here in SoCal that would likely have your emblems, but since you're in Edmonton it'll be a little pricey.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, really, where's the love?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
i cant believe i just read all of this thread

my heater is "inconsistent" as well. im guessing its a design flaw but maybe if yours comes back OK then I will bring mine to the dealer. i dont need too much heat in South Carolina, but I'll consider it before my warranty runs out. i'll be in Michigan for xmas, so maybe that will force me to deal with it before then.

Last edited by BlackUp; 11-05-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Wow, that IS an accomplishment! Would be a good read except for the moments of diversion.

My issue came down to block heater installation, so it wasn't the car itself. I'm not even sure if it's resolved since it's been too hot up here to accurately test the heating system. I'll report back when I do.

As a first step, you should check your coolant level....

Originally Posted by BlackUp
i cant believe i just read all of this thread

my heater is "inconsistent" as well. im guessing its a design flaw but maybe if yours comes back OK then I will bring mine to the dealer. i dont need too much heat in South Carolina, but I'll consider it before my warranty runs out. i'll be in Michigan for xmas, so maybe that will force me to deal with it before then.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
pfftt shipping of emblems isn't that expensive. Do you know roughly the cost?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I did a little test today with my scanguage:

cold temp light goes away at 125F
coolant temp heated up to 182F, while parked in ~60F ambient air temp
turned heat to highest setting, blowing on my feet, with the intake set to fresh air
coolant temp dropped to 162F in about 5 minutes
i turned the heat off, and it heated back up to 182F in about 1 minute

i noticed the heat gradually reduced in intensity as the coolant temp approached 162F
if the air was cooler, i suspect that the thermostat cuts off the heat all together
when we have colder weather, i'll try it again

Last edited by BlackUp; 11-07-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BlackUp
I did a little test today with my scanguage:

cold temp light goes away at 125F
coolant temp heated up to 182F, while parked in ~60F ambient air temp
turned heat to highest setting, blowing on my feet, with the intake set to fresh air
coolant temp dropped to 162F in about 5 minutes
i turned the heat off, and it heated back up to 182F in about 1 minute

i noticed the heat gradually reduced in intensity as the coolant temp approached 162F
if the air was cooler, i suspect that the thermostat cuts off the heat all together
when we have colder weather, i'll try it again
I noticed this summer when the AC was off the engine temp. would rise, turn the AC on and it would fall some 5 degrees C. Just the opposite of my BMW. I have a ScanGuage II.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
...My issue came down to block heater installation, so it wasn't the car itself. I'm not even sure if it's resolved since it's been too hot up here to accurately test the heating system. I'll report back when I do.

As a first step, you should check your coolant level....
So... They did'nt put back enough coolant or did'nt purge the air? Does'nt seem too professional.

It's so easy to see the coolant level in the clear jug (behind center of rad).

Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Bingo! To put things into perspective, I had 2 electrical accessories installed and BOTH had serious issues. The first (OEM remote starter) took 5 days to install since "apparently" the original unit was defective. Now this problem with installation of my block heater. Hopefully my local Honda dealership is more competent to do routine maintenance! No other dealerships for several hundred kms/hours, so I'm stuck with them...

Originally Posted by Virtual
So... They did'nt put back enough coolant or did'nt purge the air? Does'nt seem too professional.

It's so easy to see the coolant level in the clear jug (behind center of rad).

Old 11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Bingo! To put things into perspective, I had 2 electrical accessories installed and BOTH had serious issues. The first (OEM remote starter) took 5 days to install since "apparently" the original unit was defective. Now this problem with installation of my block heater. Hopefully my local Honda dealership is more competent to do routine maintenance! No other dealerships for several hundred kms/hours, so I'm stuck with them...
Just goes to show that my view of these guys is pretty accurate. I don't trust them and avoid getting anything done by them unless absolutely necessary. Then double check what they did.

I think that automakers are often blamed for making "lemons" but I think it's more often a cause of improper service or accessory installation.