2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Heating system in '09 - fluctuates alot???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I was just doing some investigation myself on the web, since I wasn't 100% convinced about the thermostat being the culprit. It looks like this is a common issue if there is air in your coolant system/not enough coolant fluid. This prevents good circulation while you're idling 'cause either air is blocking the way or there's not enough fluid to flow through the heater core (when you're idling). This isn't a problem when you're moving because everything is forced through quite nicely. To remedy this you can bleed out the cooling line while topping it off while the car is idling. (Open the rad cap, idle the car for 5-10 minutes and keep topping up the rad fluid until it doesn't drop anymore).

Of course the thermostat can be an issue too if it's "sticking"....but apparently that would cause a cycle of hot-warm-hot-warm rather than cold, 'cause your engine shouldn't cool off *that* quickly when idling.

Things are starting to make a bit more sense! I can't guarantee that all of the above is 100% true but that's all I've got right now.
Some engines have a bleeder screw at the highest point in the cooling passages of the block to be able to bleed trapped air out of the system.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Here's hoping! Just spoke to the appointment coordinator so I'm booked for tomorrow at 2h30 PM. Whatever it is, major or minor, at least it's under warranty so zero cost to me to repair! Barely 6 weeks old....sigh...NOT good.

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Hopefully this will be your only hiccup in your GR8 Pumpkin. Sounds like an uncharacteristic problem for a Honda, even today's Honda.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
Some engines have a bleeder screw at the highest point in the cooling passages of the block to be able to bleed trapped air out of the system.
That's a good point. One other thing I can think of is... Check the coolant level.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
That's a good point. One other thing I can think of is... Check the coolant level.
3 votes for a coolant issue. Booked tomorrow at 2h30 PM so let's hope for such a simple resolution!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Just remembered; Car & Driver's long term Gen I Fit had a similar problem which was repaired under warranty; it was an airflow issue (the 'airdoor' thing I mentioned).
Good luck; up there in Hoserland, you need a heater that works.
Moon

Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Amen to that my brother! Oh and it's called C-A-N-A-D-A

I'll update you all when the car gets assessed and repaired. Needless to say, my fellow C-A-N-A-D-I-A-N-S and lower Hoserland folk should check their own Fits for this problem before the winter hits. I'll post an update thread so I hope everyone becomes aware of this "potential" issue (unless it's isolated to GR8 Pumpkins only)...

Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Just remembered; Car & Driver's long term Gen I Fit had a similar problem which was repaired under warranty; it was an airflow issue (the 'airdoor' thing I mentioned).
Good luck; up there in Hoserland, you need a heater that works.
Moon

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey, no offense intended to the Great White North...
Just keep warm, Oh Canada!
Moon

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
3 votes for a coolant issue. Booked tomorrow at 2h30 PM so let's hope for such a simple resolution!
i hope it is too, on mine it was blowing cold to warm air like in my thread i said it was the linkage. i talked to my buddy in the service department today he said it was the clip that held the linkage to the door that flips it to cold or hot air. i had to take my gd3 in today cause i got a nail in my tire and i drove 2 09 fit sports they had 1 manual and 1 auto hmmm i'm tempted to trade lol.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Amen to that my brother! Oh and it's called C-A-N-A-D-A

I'll update you all when the car gets assessed and repaired. Needless to say, my fellow C-A-N-A-D-I-A-N-S and lower Hoserland folk should check their own Fits for this problem before the winter hits. I'll post an update thread so I hope everyone becomes aware of this "potential" issue (unless it's isolated to GR8 Pumpkins only)...
Haha yeah I'll do that tomorrow...we get down to a cozy -30°C or lower in winter. Not so fun!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM
None taken so it's all good. Yesterday was a high of 2 Celcius, today it's predicted to be 15!!! Holy Cow. Couldn't test out my heating system since it's 9 right now. Dang...I'm booked for November 15th to get my winter tire set installed. May have to reschedule since these are heavy duty winter tires (Nokian Hakkalepitta R) so I won't have any rubber left if I run them in temps this hot!

Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Hey, no offense intended to the Great White North...
Just keep warm, Oh Canada!
Moon

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah my brother lives in Edmonton so I hear all about your winters over there! Pretty similar to Sudbury, actually, though I think we get more snow this way (Sudbury is in a snow belt).

Originally Posted by M4psycho
Haha yeah I'll do that tomorrow...we get down to a cozy -30°C or lower in winter. Not so fun!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
I tested it out this morning and looks like my Fit is in good shape!.....only had time to sit around for about 3 minutes, but it stayed hot that whole 3 minutes so I'm going to assume that everything is working A-okay. Thanks for the heads up on checking that out though

Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Problem (maybe) fixed!

Ok, just got back from 2 hours sitting at the Honda dealership. I explained my exact issue with the heating system. They ended up "bleeding" the block heater. Exact words on my invoice are:
OPS10 BLEED THE SYSTEM ALL OK
4ITECH 1.20
,,,,,4191 no heat repaired b.h added new a/f

So, end result was an issue with my freaken block heater! For back story, the first remote starter they installed ended up being defective and I went 5 DAYS without my car (driving an '09 LX loaner) while they ordered/installed a second unit. Not having much luck with darn accessories!

Small consolation that it was NOT a problem with the car itself or the coolant system...phew! Can't test today since it is freakishly hot around here and will be so for the rest of the week. I'll report back if the problem is REALLY fixed once we get back to normal temps around here...

Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
I TOLD you it was something they did!!! I suspected the block heater, but said "remote starter".

At least they supposedly corrected it under warranty.

You see, I told you it wasn't a characteristic Honda problem.

So now you're happy, eh????

Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, and I just successfully added a point to your rep.

Wink, wink.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey you said remote starter so can't change now to "oh, I knew it was the block heater all along". Well, yes, I am seriously relieved that this was an issue with an accessory NOT the car! Phew. After my major drama with Mazda, I went to Honda for LONG TERM reliability. Um, car going on 6 weeks of ownership and 2 accessories were defective? Need to allocate more quality control to that department, I'd say.

Oh and.........

I HAVE MY BLUE DOT!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO.... Ok, I would have been more exact with placement (more to the right to make it more centered) but it's on, it's on straight and, most importantly, I HAVE MY BLUE DOT!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and yes, I added to you rep too! Men and their rep points...

Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Happy would be the GR8 Pumpkin with it's blue dot emblem AND coordinating Pufferfit decal!

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I TOLD you it was something they did!!! I suspected the block heater, but said "remote starter".

At least they supposedly corrected it under warranty.

You see, I told you it wasn't a characteristic Honda problem.

So now you're happy, eh????

Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Apparently they thought it was somehow related to the coolant/cooling system since they attempted to bleed it and added antifreeze (a/f). I'm guessing the block heater heats the coolant in the block and they likely drained all or part of the coolant when they originally installed it and didn't get the system fully bled when they refilled the coolant/antifreeze.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Blue dot special!!!!!

Do you have another service dept. nearby? I would be leery about going back to the dealership. They're 0 and 2 so far.

And I don't see my rep point. Are you just saying you did?????!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
See, I knew if I posted the exact entry on my invoice some mechanically inclined folks would know what that meant! Thanks...+ rep to you. All I heard was "bled system...fixed" which is all I really needed/wanted to hear. So it was "coolant" related after all....

Originally Posted by txmatt
Apparently they thought it was somehow related to the coolant/cooling system since they attempted to bleed it and added antifreeze (a/f). I'm guessing the block heater heats the coolant in the block and they likely drained all or part of the coolant when they originally installed it and didn't get the system fully bled when they refilled the coolant/antifreeze.

Quick Reply: Heating system in '09 - fluctuates alot???