2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

factory speakers...blah?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
factory speakers...blah?

160 Watt 6-speaker stereo!! but, the speakers, to me at least, are less than stellar. i'm thinking about replacing just the ones in the lower front doors. or, do the speakers loosen up with age? (i only have 900 miles after 3 months)

it just sounds like they're some lousy dual-cone 6.5" sitting down there. no punch, no sparkle. i dunno. whadaya think?

brian

Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Retired Moderator
Change them .... you`ll be glad you did...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Although they certainly sound better than the 3 working speakers on my old car I was kind of thinking the same thing. Seems like there should be more there.

I know next to nothing about car stereos/speakers so if you replace them I'd be interested to know what speakers you choose.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Heh, I used to drive an old 1990 Corolla, so you can imagine how awesome my 2 speakers were in that car. Now that I have this car, I'm pretty happy that I can blast the music and get some decent low-end out of it. I guess I can agree that they could be better, but personally speaking for a car, I think they're more than adequate. Unless you spend that much time in your car driving around and really love listening to music that much with the background car noise, I just don't think it's worth the money to drop money on new speakers =p.

On a related note, have you tried playing around with the equalizer settings to better the sound for your own preference?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone else replaced their speakers and reported better results? The reason I ask is I replaced the headunit in my JBL-equipped '03 Highlander (left the stock speakers) and it sounded MUCH better. I eventually replaced the speakers as well, but it did not make near the difference the headunit did.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Mixed reviews... Some are saying they are good, others are saying inadequate. I know I like listening to music loud sometimes, so I might feel they might be a little inadequate (whenever the car arrives).

I'm hoping the 3-way fronts, and 4 way rears I had on my last Honda fit on the Fit. They were a little tight on the old Honda. But I'm hoping that will do the trick without having to add an amp...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
our family had a 2003 corolla and a 2005 civic coupe, and both had better speakers than the Fit I have to admit.

but oh well. I hate taking panels off .....

Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
I would like a little more midrange. Bass is OK and highs are good with the dash-mounted tweeters in the Sport.

I would say replacing the speakers should give you the most sound improvement for the least money and hassle. Keep in mind, though, that 2-way or 3-way speakers require more power, and the factory head unit may not have enough juice for them.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by McSwine
Has anyone else replaced their speakers and reported better results? The reason I ask is I replaced the headunit in my JBL-equipped '03 Highlander (left the stock speakers) and it sounded MUCH better. I eventually replaced the speakers as well, but it did not make near the difference the headunit did.
If you want big gains in SQ then changing the head unit is the way to go. If you just change the speakers you still have a lousy source. I think the radio on the fit is decent but could be better. The radio is pretty weak but the USB input does improve SQ a bit. I like the whole integrated look of the head unit and I don't feel like cutting my panels to fit new speakers so I decided to just keep it stock. I have my headphone setup at home anyways

Old 10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
I'm getting the Navi unit, so I don't wanna change the head unit, but if I find the stock speakers adequate I will keep them for a while. If not I'm gonna put in my pioneers and try them out first before looking for some in-line amps to boost power, or some other power alternative.

I doubt I'm gonna be adding a sub, but that is a slight possibility.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
"or, do the speakers loosen up with age?"
IMO, the whole idea of the "break in" period for speakers is crap. many audiophile info outlets will say the same
heres one: http://www.audioholics.com/education...fiction-page-2

The speakers are definitely not high quality. The bass is the worst part, IMO, but they lack in all areas.

Last edited by BlackUp; 10-31-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
avoid the audio jack and radio if possible. CD/MP3/USB gives the best quality and much more bass and clarity. You'd be surprised, try the jack then play back the same thing on CD or USB... TONS better in every way

Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by thirdeyebrian
160 Watt 6-speaker stereo!! but, the speakers, to me at least, are less than stellar. i'm thinking about replacing just the ones in the lower front doors. or, do the speakers loosen up with age? (i only have 900 miles after 3 months)

it just sounds like they're some lousy dual-cone 6.5" sitting down there. no punch, no sparkle. i dunno. whadaya think?

brian
I replaced all 4 door speakers w/ Polk Audios, made a huge difference in sound quality. Added a small sub to fill in the lows and improved even more.

If sound quality is important to you, replacing at least the front door speakers will be high in the bang:buck ratio.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IfTheFoo
I replaced all 4 door speakers w/ Polk Audios, made a huge difference in sound quality. Added a small sub to fill in the lows and improved even more.
DB651s? Any tips on door removal/ease of installation?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:41 AM
has anyone considered installing the jl audio 6w3( i think that is the model, maybe 6w1?) subs in the rear doors instead of the full range speakers that are currently there?
i thought of this the other day and was considering a little fiberglass enclosure. would have to beef up the door panel and mount to accommodate the speaker, but a good space saving solution maybe?

thoughts?

Old 11-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by spinnb7
has anyone considered installing the jl audio 6w3( i think that is the model, maybe 6w1?) subs in the rear doors instead of the full range speakers that are currently there?
i thought of this the other day and was considering a little fiberglass enclosure. would have to beef up the door panel and mount to accommodate the speaker, but a good space saving solution maybe?

thoughts?
Might be worth a try... I had some 7" Dynaudio 170`s in the back doors of my GD1 and it really made all of the difference in lowend output without taking up space in the rear of the car.... the only down point is that I dynamated the sh!t out of the doors which added a few lbs

Old 11-01-2008, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spinnb7

thoughts?
I was just looking into this.
What do you think about the JL ZR800-CW mounting depth in only 3.39 in. compared to 6w at 4.25 in.
Do you think you could fit the ZR800-CW with a little MDF spacer I haven't pulled a door panel yet so i'm not sure about the exact amount of space

Old 11-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Kyokutou23
I was just looking into this.
What do you think about the JL ZR800-CW mounting depth in only 3.39 in. compared to 6w at 4.25 in.
Do you think you could fit the ZR800-CW with a little MDF spacer I haven't pulled a door panel yet so i'm not sure about the exact amount of space

There is a little over 3.5 inches and if you add a 7/8~1 inch spacer you should be able to make it....

Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
I think the speakers are just ok, and may add a nicer set. Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers that would fit in the door the same as the stock speakers?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I played music off the USB key last night and I thought the speakers were alright. I'm not an audiophile but it fit my needs. Vocals were clear and the bass was bumping.

Quick Reply: factory speakers...blah?