2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How safe is the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Smile How safe is the Fit?

Hello all! Newbie here! I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks now. I am very really interested in getting the 09 FIT sport for my wife. I was at the dealership yesterday and they have a white FIT sport on the lot and I was able to check it out. I really like the design outside and inside. Very comfy seats and the steering wheel and dash is really something I admire. Now the only complain or question I have is that when I open the door it seems it is very light. Seems like very cheap metal were use to manufacture these vehicles. God forbid if we ever sustain any kind of impact from an accident. I have a 2 year old daughter and I would really like to have something more "heavy duty". I see the fit comes with front, side and curtain airbags, but are they enough? I really want your thoughts are this. By the way, I am currently driving a 08 Acura TL TypeS, it is a very well built and fast. I also own a 94 Honda accord coupe with 140K miles, still running very strong. But it is unpratical for my wife to take the toddler in and out. So I would like to replace it with the Fit since it is a lot more room and fuel efficient, plus it looks hella nice. Thanks a lot!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
09 Fit much safer than 94 Accord.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is definitely a very light car and by no means is it going to feel luxurious--heavy doors, etc. You have to keep in mind that they are doing more with metal than they could do even 5 years ago--more efficiently placed, creating a safer car. I would also agree that the Fit is much safer than a 1994 Accord.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Don't judge safety or quality by lightness. Honda deliberately made most of the controls on the Fit light for user-friendliness. Clutch, shifter, steering, doors, etc. are engineered to feel and act light.

The Fit is extremely safe. 5 stars.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Extremely safe... I honestly can't agree with that one. I would just call it "safe". Much safer when compared to a 94 accord as I said above. Keep in mind that frontal crash ratings aren't comparable across vehicle sizes.

Fit has lots of safety features but the stats don't lie (small car fatality rates are higher).

Last edited by corey415; 10-30-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Don't judge safety or quality by lightness. Honda deliberately made most of the controls on the Fit light for user-friendliness. Clutch, shifter, steering, doors, etc. are engineered to feel and act light.

The Fit is extremely safe. 5 stars.
I think what he is missing is the "luxury thud" that some other cars can offer. But you are right the Fit was meant to be light in all aspects.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
the 09 Fit is the safest car in its class - by class I mean similar size/weight cars. However the law of physics will be a big factor when 2 cars of difference size/weight collide. If you want to be as safe as possible, drive the biggest car you can get that's also the safest in its own class. Of course you will lose big on fuel economy and pay more upfront but consider them as "insurance" payments.

Often the most important factor in safety is the drivers themselves - how alert they are, how attentative they are. A driver may feel very safe in a big humvee and therefore pays less attention on the road. Or you can drive a tiny Fit and be more vigilant because you are surrounded by big SUVs. There are plenty of people who drive into stationary objects because of they fell asleep at the wheels. In that sense the size of the car is irrelevant.

The Fit is very agile and I have zipped in and out of lanes easily and probably avoided some accidents due to its easy handling. In that sense the smaller car has an advantage over the big ones.

I also chose the orange color because it's one of hte most visible color on the road. A grayish car seems to blend in w/ the color of the road. The more you can make the other driver see you, the more likely they will avoid hitting you.

There's also an issue of how fast you are traveling. head-on collisions at high way speed will likely kill both drivers regardless of the size of cars they are driving (unless one is driving a semi). Even semi-truck drivers are not immune from serious injury or death in accidents.

In sum: (1) get the safest car you want/can afford based on your overall needs. (2) drive carefully at all times, pretend you are driving an unsafe car. (3) pray not to have bad luck.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
What do you think the ACE body structure is meant for? Read the safety section on the Fit website.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 PM
ACE is to better absorb impact when colliding w/ a bigger/heavier car like an SUV. However it's no gurantee that one won't be hurt. A lot of time it's a question of luck.

I am willing to take the risk of a smaller car and buy a Fit because of its safety rating as well as other merits (fuel economy, cargo space, small parking size, etc.) Personally I like small cars and wish everyone will drive one.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Well of course there's no guarantee...there's no guarantee in a large SUV either.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:29 PM
more death in large full size SUV...

check statistics.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
For folks on this thread making claims one way or the other regarding motor vehicle deaths, it would be nice to include a reference (or link) substantiating your claim, otherwise it's just another baseless claim in cyberspace.

Sure, the Fit is safe (for what it is). I will tell you this. I drive it a lot more defensively than my '08 Mazda CX-9, which weights twice as much and has 2.5 times the horsepower and torque of the Fit.

Of course, it would only take a fraction of a second to die in either. I've been involved in two fatal crashes in my lifetime, thankfully I was not at fault in either.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
For folks on this thread making claims one way or the other regarding motor vehicle deaths, it would be nice to include a reference (or link) substantiating your claim, otherwise it's just another baseless claim in cyberspace.

Sure, the Fit is safe (for what it is). I will tell you this. I drive it a lot more defensively than my '08 Mazda CX-9, which weights twice as much and has 2.5 times the horsepower and torque of the Fit.

Of course, it would only take a fraction of a second to die in either. I've been involved in two fatal crashes in my lifetime, thankfully I was not at fault in either.
You were involved in 2 fatal crashes?? So are you posting from heaven or hell?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Have safe is the Fit?

Answer: Super safe!

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
In my opinion, good handling and brakes are important safety feature and one that SUVs and big, heavy cars tend to lack. I never felt safer than in my old Acura RSX. It wasn't a big car, but I could stop on a dime and swerve to avoid just about anything without the car losing its composure.

On the other hand, me and my wife were almost killed a couple years ago in a rented Impala. I made a minor swerve at freeway speed to avoid someone who cut into our lane and the thing was so wallowy that I almost lost control. Had we crashed, maybe the extra weight of the car would have saved us from serious injury. But I'd prefer to avoid the accident altogether.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x94cherry
In my opinion, good handling and brakes are important safety feature and one that SUVs and big, heavy cars tend to lack. I never felt safer than in my old Acura RSX. It wasn't a big car, but I could stop on a dime and swerve to avoid just about anything without the car losing its composure.

On the other hand, me and my wife were almost killed a couple years ago in a rented Impala. I made a minor swerve at freeway speed to avoid someone who cut into our lane and the thing was so wallowy that I almost lost control. Had we crashed, maybe the extra weight of the car would have saved us from serious injury. But I'd prefer to avoid the accident altogether.
Not to go off in a tangent (though I am), my 05 RSX-S felt safe and all, but even better was my 94 Integra GS-R. That thing felt so safe due to its inherent connection with the driver and road. You feel everything through the steering, which was one of the best in the world. The car felt low and planted and can turn on a dime without much drama due to the balanced chassis.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
The Fit is definitely a very light car and by no means is it going to feel luxurious--heavy doors, etc. You have to keep in mind that they are doing more with metal than they could do even 5 years ago--more efficiently placed, creating a safer car. I would also agree that the Fit is much safer than a 1994 Accord.
I think the Fit is 10 times safer than the cars that were available when my son was small. I would have felt a lot better about him traveling in the Fit than any of my older cars.

Personally, I think if there were a lot less big SUVs and trucks on the road we would all be safer.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Agreed x100 !!!!!
Originally Posted by cranky18
Personally, I think if there were a lot less big SUVs and trucks on the road we would all be safer.
Agreed again!!!

As mentioned I'd take handling, and braking over size anyday!

For the most part the bigger and heavier the car the longer the braking distance is, I almost got in to an accident once that way driving a loaded Ford van. Even empty, and at slow speeds the thing took forever to slow down, same story with Explorers, Yukons, and Tahoes I've driven. Yeah the added structure might be safer, but as mentioned I'd rather have the handing and braking.

FIT ftw anyday!!! especially with all those airbags too.

I think the FIT is quite safe as well.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you and I like the same cars, CrystalFive. I replaced my 96 Integra GSR with an 03 RSX-S, and just replaced that with a Fit Sport MT.

The GSR was a great car too, and yes, that Honda "road in your lap" feel was great. They moved away from it in the RSX and now it's back in the Fit. The GSR had the best transmission of any car I've ever owned, much nicer than the RSX. Too bad Acura stopped making cars in that segment.

I never really bonded with my RSX, it was astronomically expensive to own and insure. It's probably the best handling car I will ever own, but overall was more trouble than it was worth.

The Fit doesn't come close in handling or refinement, but it's a lot easier to live with on an everyday basis. And ironically, it's a lot roomier than the RSX.

I think the best balance of fun and function was in my 94 Civic Si hatchback. I wish they'd make something like that again.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you and I like the same cars, CrystalFive. I replaced my 96 Integra GSR with an 03 RSX-S, and just replaced that with a Fit Sport MT.

The GSR was a great car too, and yes, that Honda "road in your lap" feel was great. They moved away from it in the RSX and now it's back in the Fit. The GSR had the best transmission of any car I've ever owned, much nicer than the RSX. Too bad Acura stopped making cars in that segment.

I never really bonded with my RSX, it was astronomically expensive to own and insure. It's probably the best handling car I will ever own, but overall was more trouble than it was worth.

The Fit doesn't come close in handling or refinement, but it's a lot easier to live with on an everyday basis. And ironically, it's a lot roomier than the RSX.

I think the best balance of fun and function was in my 94 Civic Si hatchback. I wish they'd make something like that again.
The GS-R was actually much better balanced than the RSX. The RSX's chassis or suspension was weird in that the front did not agree with the rear, which lowered confidence level significantly. I even put on a Mugen suspension, 225/45 summer tires, and although on paper it handled better than a GS-R, it wasn't balanced. In fact my late 08 Accord 6MT was better balanced.

My GS-R is still the most fun car I've ever driven/owned.

Quick Reply: How safe is the Fit?