2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How safe is the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KineticTLS
Hello all! Newbie here! I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks now. I am very really interested in getting the 09 FIT sport for my wife. I was at the dealership yesterday and they have a white FIT sport on the lot and I was able to check it out. I really like the design outside and inside. Very comfy seats and the steering wheel and dash is really something I admire. Now the only complain or question I have is that when I open the door it seems it is very light. Seems like very cheap metal were use to manufacture these vehicles. God forbid if we ever sustain any kind of impact from an accident. I have a 2 year old daughter and I would really like to have something more "heavy duty". I see the fit comes with front, side and curtain airbags, but are they enough? I really want your thoughts are this. By the way, I am currently driving a 08 Acura TL TypeS, it is a very well built and fast. I also own a 94 Honda accord coupe with 140K miles, still running very strong. But it is unpratical for my wife to take the toddler in and out. So I would like to replace it with the Fit since it is a lot more room and fuel efficient, plus it looks hella nice. Thanks a lot!

There is an old saying in the safety and racing fields: big squashes little.
I can vouch for that from personal experience. Even considering the advance 'crush' design of modern cars and the airbags all around, that still holds true.
That being said, the Fit is well-designed from a controlled crush and cushion standpoint and is much better than any 5 year old car. .
Since you have the TL the Fit is probably your wife and child's gofer car. Thus not much subjected to high speed interaction.That being the case I don't see a problem. There are some terrible looking damaged Fits posted here that the drivers walked away without a scratch so the Fit design can't be bad. One warning though, she just might object to your driving her Fit, she'll like it that well. You're stuck with the TL.

Last edited by mahout; 10-31-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Well I'm another RSX (premium auto) to Fit Sport AT convertee too.

Still miss having a MT but the clutch being a wear item vs. just fluid changes on an AT is a long term consideration I had for the Fit. Maybe someday when I can afford a 2nd car for fun, I'll get a MT again... intending on keeping the Fit a really long time as a daily car. Almost bought the Si in '06 - even had a deposit but changed my mind after waiting a few weeks.

Acura has gone porky and the new TSX/TL styling is hideous IMO. Its too bad the Integra and Prelude are both dead now... these were the prime fun to drive FWD cars around back then. I almost bought a used Prelude in college, it had a huge huge rust hole in the body (this was in Michigan) but the thing drove like a beaut during the spin I took it on.

Anyone notice that our doors in the Fit are recessed? Every bit of room in this car has been made available to increasing usable interior volume. I didn't notice it at first, but instead of doors that intrude into the cabin, ours are recessed into the door frame. That's probably why the doors feel a bit on the tinny side.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
"Acura has gone porky"

--So true. Couldn't have said it better. I should have bought one of the Civic Si hatchbacks back in 03 and kept it forever.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 PM
I've grown up with one of those (funny enough the same color), and no I did not go for the orange Fit. And I still made it to adulthood.
So, yeah, comparatively, the Fit is much better in every way.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
I miss my Integras, those cars were practically on rails, and quite low to the ground stock. Always wanted the GSR with the leather seats, but could never find one at a decent price.

I never like the RSX as its replacement, and now they don't even make that anymore either. Anyone know when Acura will re-introduce a hatch in their line-up?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
You were involved in 2 fatal crashes?? So are you posting from heaven or hell?
Fortunately, I was not the fatality in either crash. Ironic is the fact that in the first crash the death was an eighty year old man, and in the second the death was a 23 year old girl. She was in the back seat of an Acura TSX that was standing still waiting to pay the toll at the Delaware Memorial Bridge, when the car was rear-ended by a Ford Excursion doing 75 mph. Eighteen people (including me) were injured in that crash. The driver of the Excursion had only $20,000 liability coverage.

Last edited by badself; 10-31-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
For folks on this thread making claims one way or the other regarding motor vehicle deaths, it would be nice to include a reference (or link) substantiating your claim, otherwise it's just another baseless claim in cyberspace.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/106748/article.html

In the latest crash figures available from 2005, provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (see chart below), there were 144 fatalities per million registered vehicles for the smallest cars. That figure drops to 106 fatalities for the next larger class of cars. For large sedans, that number drops to 67 per million. For small SUVs, the figure was 60 deaths per million as compared with 48 for large SUVs. For pickups, totals increased to 122 per million for small trucks and 104 per million for large.