2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda Fit Sky Roof for the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
That's cheaper than the prices for the 935, or 700 sunroof options.
I see that will be a problem trying to finding a reputable installer in the NYC area.
Hey TKZ12NO1, if you find any reputable installer, please post cause we're probably in the same general area. Thanks.
I was looking in to the Webasto 700. But that 524 Panoramic sky roof (if it opens) might be a nice alternative..
I just got done with an interesting couple of phone calls.
1. Called another dealer in Woodside, in the borough of Queens NY. His info was interesting: Webasto discontinued the Hollandia 524 due to it being made in Europe, costing too much to produce, and poor sales numbers. He had none left, but knew of a shop in Westchester NY (north of NYC) that might have two left.
2. I called Webasto and spoke to a fellow named Chuck. He confirmed that the 524 Panoramic roof has indeed been discontinued, and a replacement for it will be coming, he'd heard about it this morning. I asked if it was worth waiting for. He candidly told me how he felt - never go for the first model year of any replacement... he said he's got the 524 in his GMC Suburban an it's a great roof. Never creaks, rattles, or leaks, and he takes his truck hunting, driving over ruts on double track back country roads. He said it's a quality roof and they just could not afford to make it since its applications are limited. He said parts would remain available, since there are quite a few out there.
3. Third, and most interesting call: called the first shop again out in Lindenhurst in Suffolk County on Long Island that had limited info for me the first time, and spoke to the guy that runs the shop. He said he's got one left, it is discontinued, and the new roof will be introduced at the SEMA show next week, installed in a Chevy Malibu. They're making a new roof that has greater application potential. He said the 524 was limited in application because of the curved profile of it, it was so strong that it'd buckle a flat roof - like a Scion XB, or Element, etc. But he has put them in the previous Fit, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, and other cars with similar profile to the Fit. As far as leakage, not an issue. Structural integrity is not an issue either, since the glass is thick, the frame is strong, and there are 3/16" thick steel plates that are added during the install to brace the roof. He was honest about wind noise, saying that there would be an increase in noise because sheetmetal and insulation is replaced with glass, but he said it's not all that much. My thought: It'll be open most of the time anyway. Even in winter. I like fresh air. I take my '72 Buick ragtop out with the top down and put the heat on in December. So I made an appointment for Monday. $1250 flat... cash money. Not sure about the logistics of it: They need the car for 7 hours or so. They say they'll drive me home and then drop it off afterwards. Told them I'd firm up the details on Friday. Not sure how I'll manage it. It'll get figured out. Least of my problems anyway...

I hope I know what I'm doing. cutting my Fit up? Oh, but the daylight, the fresh air...

Last edited by TKZ12NO1; 10-29-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TKZ12NO1
I called a sunroof shop I found on the Webasto website's dealer directory.
"I don't know. I'll have someone call you back in a little while."
2 hours later:
Ring ring..."Buddy says to give you this message. He has one 524 Panoramic roof left, it'll be 1250 installed."
What's the leak guarantee? Does it decrease structural integrity? How long does it take to install?
"I don't know much about that. You'll have to talk to Buddy. You can call him later".

I'll call another shop and see if they're more interested in doing the job.
Just for fun, why not call Buddy and see if he breaks his leg running for the phone to get your order.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Just for fun, why not call Buddy and see if he breaks his leg running for the phone to get your order.
I did call back, and he did make up for the first call. See my other post. Even offered pickup and delivery...

Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
I was hoping the shop in Woodside would be more reputable, but after the story they told you it sounds a little sketchy. So I guess when I get this done it looks like Lindenhurst will be a better option (probably be going with the 700 single pane largest size posible). But that 524 Panaramic skyroof looks reaaaaaaly HOT!!!!!!!
I'm the same way too even in the winter I got the roof open. 7 hours?? That sounds real fast, other posters said they had to wait several days from what I recall.

You probably will be the first GE in the NYC area to get this done, one of a kind.
+reps for the info, and +reps for being the first..

Please post pics after its done.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
I was hoping the shop in Woodside would be more reputable, but after the story they told you it sounds a little sketchy. So I guess when I get this done it looks like Lindenhurst will be a better option (probably be going with the 700 single pane largest size posible). But that 524 Panaramic skyroof looks reaaaaaaly HOT!!!!!!!
I'm the same way too even in the winter I got the roof open. 7 hours?? That sounds real fast, other posters said they had to wait several days from what I recall.

You probably will be the first GE in the NYC area to get this done, one of a kind.
+reps for the info, and +reps for being the first..

Please post pics after its done.
Dont get me wrong, the guy in Woodside was a big help. He gave me the number of a shop in Westchester, he talked with me about the panoramic roof even though he couldn't sell me one. If there was another roof I wanted I'd give him a shot at it.

Meanwhile I'm trying to photoshop a roof onto my Fit. Maniac that I am.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
plus one on the posting pictures...

Old 10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Oh.. Ok then I misunderstood then. I'd like to get it done there cause thats the closest to me by far. I think I will give them a call, but probably after I get my Fit. This wait is killing me.

If I had my car, and had better skills in Photoshop I'd be doing the same thing. As it is I've been maniacal looking for options, and accessories for my Fit.

I'd rep you again but it says I have to spread the rep around more
Again thanks for all your info, and research!!!!

So you're getting the 524? which is like the Panoramic roof option available in other countries but with the exception of it actually opening. Sounds like a better option than the factory skyroof which doesn't even open.

What's funny is that we complain that this option is not available in the NA market, but even if it was we'd still complain that it doesn't open.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 PM
for 500 dollars in pr somebody can make the custom sunroof i'm thinking that for my ge8

Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
I did a half-assed job of doctoring a photo (forgot I don't have photoshop anymore).

I've got this arranged for a Monday install, and it's only Wednesday. I'm having butterflies already. Cutting up a car that's got 1000 miles on it. Am I doing the right thing I wonder. I wish there was a forum of sunroof enthusiasts. Maybe there is. A Google search of "Webasto Panoramic" turns up a few posts on the forums for enthusiasts of other vehicles. There's a guy with a huge Toyota Tundra who likes his 524. Posted some nice pics. There's a guy with a Chrysler 300 that got totaled, and he was selling his 524 roof for $1500! I'm paying 1250 installed. I think I'm nervous now, but will probably love it once it's in.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Dont get me wrong, the guy in Woodside was a big help. He gave me the number of a shop in Westchester, he talked with me about the panoramic roof even though he couldn't sell me one. If there was another roof I wanted I'd give him a shot at it.

if you want I can do it for you, its kinda what I do for a living... work with PS all day long...PM me if you like, and I will give you an addy to send them to, or just post here....

Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
if you want I can do it for you, its kinda what I do for a living... work with PS all day long...PM me if you like, and I will give you an addy to send them to, or just post here....
Why thank you very much, StormTrooper!

My hamster is having fun in the wheel tonight (reference to what I call the "hamster wheel of thought", something that plagues those of us with the tendency to obsess. I've got the O of OCD. And sometimes the compulsions to act on them... like making appointments for the install of things.)

Last edited by TKZ12NO1; 10-29-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tofuman
glass is heavy and will also hurt the handling of the car.
Looks nice, but I would not get/want it. Extra cost, complexity, and weight (in the wrong place).

I don't think the US will get this as the Fit is Honda's entry-level/practical car. In other countries, it is comparatively more upscale and even large compared to here.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Why thank you very much, StormTrooper!

Here... see if you can fix this. The sunroof probably needs to be a bit wider. Not sure if the proportions are right.

My hamster is having fun in the wheel tonight (reference to what I call the "hamster wheel of thought", something that plagues those of us with the tendency to obsess. I've got the O of OCD. And sometimes the compulsions to act on them... like making appointments for the install of things.)
sure but it would be much more helpfulif you could post a picture without the sun roof.....much thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
sure but it would be much more helpfulif you could post a picture without the sun roof.....much thanks
Alrighty then. Here ya go.

Name:  IMG_2171.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  139.5 KB

Thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OrangeRevolution
Looks nice, but I would not get/want it. Extra cost, complexity, and weight (in the wrong place).

I don't think the US will get this as the Fit is Honda's entry-level/practical car. In other countries, it is comparatively more upscale and even large compared to here.
Ya know, I asked how much the Webasto 524 sunroof weighs - in the box - and the guy at the shop said he guesses about 60lbs or less. He can pick the box up on his own. I guess I can put a blanket on my roof, strap a couple of sacks of lawn care product up there, and see if it adversely affects handling. Or not do that. Heh heh. Given I'm not autocrossing and I'm commuting, I think I'm leaning toward being able to feel not so boxed in as I sit in stop-and-go traffic. That was what I was loving about the factory Skyroof. But, alas, it will not make it to our shores.

I know the Fit is an "entry level" car, and I tell people it was inexpensive (compared to similarly equipped offerings), but I've never thought of it as cheaply made. Sometimes when I close the doors and handle the trim pieces in the process it does not feel as solid as I'd like, but it's not really flimsy. I do think of it as being more upscale than a Versa, or Yaris. I think the sunroof I'm looking to get will ad good things to the experience of driving this car. I feel like I bought the right car, a Mini would have been more money and more costly to keep. This is the first new car I bought for me and I'm enjoying making it mine. The Ody was "ours". The '99 Civic was "hers". Everything else I've had has been old. Except the new motorcycles. But I digress.

There was reference made to the little engine's noise, churning away a few feet in front of where we sit. I actually like the engine noise. Let's me know what's going on up there. Reminds me of the '86 Civic Si my wife had. Or some of the motorcycles I've had.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member

You had it really close it just needed a nudge here and there...

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
You had it really close it just needed a nudge here and there...
Cool!

Wanna hear what I did? The sunroof Frame size is 33” w x 52.75”.
So I got some big paper and got as close as I could. 33 by about 50-51 was all I could do. Just to see. Then I went outside and laid that on the roof.
Sheesh! There won't be much roof left after that sunroof is installed. I'm concerned that the actual sunroof frame might be too big for the '09 Fit's roof. There are subtle little body lines as the car tapers to the back, and the sunroof frame might be that far back that it has to go over those body lines. That and I don't think the sunroof's leading edge can go so close to the windshield. I think the spec sheets call for closer to ten. There's a motor that has to go there somewhere. Hmmm.

If I do get that roof, it's obvious that the back seats will be bathed in sunlight too. Nice.

Last edited by TKZ12NO1; 10-29-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Oh... my.... god I am jealous!

Takesone - I highly recommend you get that installed and post beautiful pictures so we can all gawk at it.

When I started thinking about a new car I was aiming for the Scion tC.
It happened to have a panoramic roof and I loved the idea.
Here it is:

Their base model is just flat glass that doesn't open. The higher model opens.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 AM
howbout that one on the g6?

Last edited by HONDAMATIC; 10-30-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
TKZ12NO1, I hear ya on the butterflies. But I think once installed you will be very happy with it.
I was set going with the regular sunroof, but after seeing those photoshop pics, I think I want to get the 524 panoramic roof.

Stormtrooper + reps pics looks nice.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit Sky Roof for the U.S.