2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

low beams too low?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 AM
adjusted the lows last night/ this morning. Improved quite a bit. Now cut off hits just even with the top of the tail lights on a VW bettle. Should not be too high for anything else.

thanks

christian

Old 10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the same problem the 07 buyers were experiencing.

Well when I finally get my car, I guess this will be on the first list of mods.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Didn't we have a thread on this a while back, and someone explained how high to adjust them if you have your lights focused on a wall or garage door? I think I remember something about that. I know mine need adjusted up some, but I don't want to do it too much. Plus my left one is slightly lower than the right, so I want to raise it up just a hair more.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
There is a way but it can be a bit tricky - you need to pull up close to a wall, mark the cutoff of each light, then back off 25 feet. The cutoff should be about 2 inches below the initial cutoff line you marked. The tricky part is finding a wall to work on, and 25+ feet of flat between you and the wall. A parking garage might be your best bet. People using a car or some other object to help with aiming works somewhat too - its just not nearly as accurate but might get you an idea.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I've been thinking about getting some HIDs. I doubt that any aftermarket halogen will make any difference, but I'm gonna adjust the headlights before I do anything.

Originally Posted by nufit
One more question, can anybody else hear their engine running inside the car?

I can, and when I lift the hood it sounds like valve chatter. Is that normal for your Fit(s)?

Thanks,

Christian
Yes, I believe it's normal for this car.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Plus my left one is slightly lower than the right, so I want to raise it up just a hair more.
I need to adjust mine too....just made a left turn tonite and barely saw a guy crossing the street

but actually I think it's normal for the right to be higher than the left, so that it won't blind on-coming traffic, and the right being higher so that it's easier for you to see reflective signs (most signs are located on the right side of the road)

Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wskwong
I need to adjust mine too....just made a left turn tonite and barely saw a guy crossing the street

but actually I think it's normal for the right to be higher than the left, so that it won't blind on-coming traffic, and the right being higher so that it's easier for you to see reflective signs (most signs are located on the right side of the road)
Ahh, I never thought of that!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 PM
On other Hondas I've owned, I've found the factory headlight aiming to not be that great: generally aiming forward and pretty conservative. With that said, however, I wouldn't just "aim them up" (or down or left or right).

You can get them professionally aimed or do them yourself, but you have to do your homework first if you plan on doing it yourself. First, check your local laws to see what's allowed and how it's specified keeping in mind it's often still subject to interpretation. Next, you need to aim them against a target wall with a tape measure, masking tape, a marker, etc. Generally, you will need an empty parking garage as that is the only place you will have enough room and will be level enough and with a nice flat "aiming screen". Since you will be doing this at night, you may consider having a few people do it for safety/security reasons. In the past, I've had headlight aiming parties. You may also wish to get permission from the building owner.

I will probably do my Fit in the near future as the days are getting shorter. You can do it yourself, but don't just "eyeball" it. I see too many poorly aimed cars on the road. Do it right.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by wskwong

While this is common, I always aim them level. Any cut-off bias to the right side is handled in the reflectors/optics of the headlight and is according to US DOT regulations (for USA). Headlights from other countries may have markedly different cutoff/projection patterns, and the US is a bit of an oddball. One way a cop can give you a ticket is by running headlights that don't have a DOT stamp on them.