2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Base vs Sport....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Base vs Sport....

I'm in the market for a new car, and a Fit is the top of the list (Automatic Transmission so my wife can drive it as well.)

So, I need to decide on Base vs Sport, and similar to what I've noticed with a few others, I'd like some of the features from the Sport AT, but like the Fuel Economy (FE) from the Base AT....

According to Deep Drive: 2009 Honda Fit, the reason the Base Fit gets better fuel economy than the sport is (Best answer I've found):

"
Honda says the Sport with automatic is lower than the base model due to some engine tweaks aimed at better throttle response, increased aerodynamic drag of the spoilers, and increased rolling resistance of the wider tires.
"

Anyone ever ask a dealer to make changes to a sport to reduce those differences (without having to pay big bucks, of course...) -- swap a sport to the base "chip" (throttle response), tires, and air dam/bumper/spoiler.... Or easy after market updates (although I'm not very mechanically inclined.)

Or just accept I have two options, and decide what is most important.... (what I expect to do, but having a hard time deciding....)

(FWIW, my criterion for a new car include reliability, comfort (for 4 adults), price, Fuel Efficiency, carry stuff when needed, and a bit of fun.)

EDIT: my driving is ~80/20 Hwy/City

Last edited by fit451; 10-26-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Im pretty sure there is no chip that makes throttle response better... They have the same engine. The Base model also weighs about 30lbs less than the sport so gas mileage will be a tiny bit better. Maybe about 2 or so mpg. It is cheaper too. I think you would be ok with the base if all your looking for is gas mileage and dont mind not having the extra stuff the sport has. I went for the 5speed Sport, and I still get close to 40mpg.

But like you said you have two options. Just make sure you dont get the base and up regretting it.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 10-26-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
I have an AT Sport and I'm getting what I feel is excellent FE - the trip computer's average is usually between 40 and 44. Taking into account the computers 4 mpg (or 10%) optimism, that still works out to 36-40 mpg.

I am a relaxed driver, no jackrabbit starts off the line, but cruise on the hwy 65-70.

My driving mix is 60% hwy / 40% city.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I bought a base model, for obvious reasons of being cheaper. I got an incredible deal that was pretty hard to pass up. My intentions were to get the 09 sport, but I left the lot with an 08 base and couldn't be happier

Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
I don't much like the handling setup on the base - those teeny tires and the lack of one of the 2 roll bars (not sure if there's more than those obvious differences) creates a tippy feel when tossed into corners (wants to roll over in the direction of the turn). I didn't even really push it - it was the test drive and they only had a base available... but it certainly didn't inspire much confidence. The Sport is a lot more buttoned up but I would have much preferred 195s over the 185s they put into the Sport.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I completely agree with the handling...that might make a difference in Fit451's decision. For me it didn't make a difference because I knew I was getting new wheels and tires and springs so...that wasn't a concern for me.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Ok whoever said its from the weight keep in mind the Base MT and Sport MT get the same MPG, its the Base Auto that gets more MPG than the Sport auto. Since both MT Base and MT Sport get the same MPG we can assume that the wheels don't reduce MPG. If having heavier rims reduced MPG then each of the Civic models would have diff MPG ratings. (DX steelies, LX-s rims, EX rims all weigh different)

Furthermore the EPA doesn't ever test for wind resistance. The only thing I can think of why the Sport Auto gets less MPG is either it was tested actually in Sport mode using the paddles or Honda programed the ECU different so that its shifts higher on average, making it drive Sportier and make it fell more powerful driving at slightly higher RPM which at any rate can be compensated by using the paddles to shift earlier when needed.

Also i'd get the sport. Its worth the 1500 bucks or w/e it is. Paddles + Cruise Control would be a must. Just get the Sport and shift a bit earlier every once in a while and you'll get great MPG and prob over sticker MPG if you drive it right.

Last edited by Tastycakes; 10-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the great feedback so far. I'm not buying a sports car, so handling/performance isn't paramount, but I'm coming from a Passat, so also don't want something too boring.... ;-) And I'm not planning on going SecSpyrals route of significant modifications (maybe $500 after a year or so.)

And TastyCakes, very interesting points, which combined with some folks getting close to 40 MPG with the sport, has me leaning toward the sport.

Now to figure out which options to get (Center arm rest, ....)

Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I am comming from a 2005 passat TDI. I got the Black Pearl at Sport. The sport has a chance of being comparable, whereas the base does not...I am getting as good in the city as i did on the Passat diesel. The sport is closer to a vw rabbit...fun to drive...good quality but better milage and service...Your opinion may vary...THUNDER

Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
On the canadian honda site to go from base to sport is over 4000$ extra *** canada

Old 10-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Thunder -- mine is a 99 1.8T, so easier for the Fit Sport to be comparable fun than yours, and the Sport should get better MPG. (and don't need to pay for super and the wife can drive, so win/win/win....) I briefly considered the Rabbit, but didn't like the MPG, among other things.

Stoop14 -- I'm in the US, so not quite the $$ difference seen in Canada.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
I bought an '09 Fit base automatic a little over a week ago and it's been great. Filled up for the first time this past Friday and my manual mpg calculation is right on with the meter on the dash. We'll see if that keeps up though. Reasons I chose the Fit base over the Fit Sport:

1. Significant price difference
2. Ground effects looked too garish for my taste. Almost overkill.
3. Leather wrapped steering wheel not really interested in. They wear out and look crappy over time.
4. 15" wheels/tires over Sport versions 16" alloys. Definitely not a deal breaker for me. Base wheels look just fine. Not great but not bad either.

The list above is simply my opinion. You have to determine what's important and what isn't. Sport models are far more readily available. Base models are very difficult to find. I had to wait for mine.

By the way I have the blue sensation pearl and this color is absolutely awesome!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
I have an 08 base and i got it because it was cheaper and I knew i was going to end up swapping and putting new stuff on it anyways. for me the only thing that is left to be desired is the keyless entry.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
I've been thinking heavily about this lately.

My dealership has 2 LX models of the Blue Sensation Pearl (one of the colours I want) in stock. I found the main differences between the LX and Sport were:

- Sports has 16" alloys (look pretty nice) compared to the ugly 15" lightweight alloys on LX
- Sport has both front/rear stabilizer bars / LX only has front stabilizer bar
- Sport has front lip (for fogs) / LX doesn't
- Sport has side skirts / LX doesn't look like they do
- Sport has chrome exhaust tip / LX doesn't
- Sport has black interior / LX has grey interior
- Sport has fog lights / LX doesn't
- Sport has leather steering wheel / LX doesn't
- Sport has passenger side seat-back pocket / LX doesn't
- Sport has an additional 2 speakers (which are really just 2 tweeters) and USB plug / LX doesn't

I bolded the only thing that is the biggest concern for me. Pretty much everything else can either be added on with aftermarket products or skipped on.

Based on Canadian pricing you save roughly $2000 off the MSRP price. Decent set of rims + rubber will probably cost ~$1400 CAD so that means you have $600 to play with to either replace the missing items from the Sport on your LX or you just save that for insurance or gas.

- Grey interior can be fixed with custom black upholstery or seat covers.
- Stabilizer bar probably won't matter much to most people
- Front lip/side skirts can be done aftermarket
- Chrome exhaust tip is just cosmetics and costs $90 from Honda. If the exhaust mattered to you then you might as well spend another 2-300 and get a better performance muffler
- Fog lights are rarely used here in Vancouver
- Leather steering wheel is meh
- Seat-back pocket is useless
- You can get 2 aftermarket tweeters that are better than the ones in the Sport. USB adapter can be purchased online.

Damn it...the more I think about it the more I wouldn't mind getting an LX. Gonna ask my salesman if it is possible to sell me the LX minus the ugly 15" rims and I'll bring in my own rims.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 AM
What is in the LX that isn't in the US base? in US, base doesn't have Cruise Control or Paddle Shifters, which are probably the most interesting features to me.... A little extra sportiness is nice as well (although not a big fan of the front / side skirts.)

(also missing from you list in US are spoiler, in-steering wheel audio controls, ???)

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
I'm basing the differences for the Canadian model. I'm from Vancouver in Canada.

The LX and Sport in Canada have the spoiler

Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Ah, Honda Canada

Both have Cruise Control. No Paddle Shifter in Canada, it appears. (or is that the Grade Logic Control?)

LX is what I'd go for in Canada (from a quick look.)

Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit451
Ah, Honda Canada

Both have Cruise Control. No Paddle Shifter in Canada, it appears. (or is that the Grade Logic Control?)

LX is what I'd go for in Canada (from a quick look.)
No paddle shifters for 09s in Canada which sucks because they had them in the first gen

Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
I just picked up my Canadian A/T DX (base) model a couple of days ago. I am more than pleased because I never actually saw one (I test drove a Sport and that's all they had for a month). I was worried the grey interior was going to be some light ugly grey but it's not. It's actually quite a dark grey and looks very, very good.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by superslurpee
I just picked up my Canadian A/T DX (base) model a couple of days ago. I am more than pleased because I never actually saw one (I test drove a Sport and that's all they had for a month). I was worried the grey interior was going to be some light ugly grey but it's not. It's actually quite a dark grey and looks very, very good.
congrats!

pics mang!

Quick Reply: Base vs Sport....