2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

When are you doing your first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by First09owner
No doubt about that. What stealership doesn't want your money?
They certainly want your money. Has to do with being in business. More importantly they want you as a customer.

When they go directly against the info in the owners manual then there's a problem. BIG RED FLAG

My dealer service department has been quite straight forward with me and has answered all my concerns with insight and honestly. About a week after I picked up my new car I stopped by just to talk with them. We went over the basic service requirements I would be having and what they considered the proper break-in procedures I should follow. I asked about oil changes - switching to synthetic oil - expected tire life - brakes - the MM system. I've called them since to ally my concerns on the first oil change - 15% is what they continue to say, even though I'm at 6K@50%.

I went in without problems but questions. Trust and communication builds positive relationships. I have confidence in their shop from talking with them and from the info I got from talking with those I know who have purchased cars from them. I had choices as to where I bought my FIT. I did a little research and chose who I did.

The really good thing about this forum site is that it can provide the answers to all sorts of questions we all might have. It is a resource. The feedback in its self is a huge benefit to all - members and lurkers alike.

K_C_

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
some of the higher $$ vehicles come filled with syn from factory,
another twist to the break-in-dino concept

Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Cool At 662 miles...

The oil life dropped to 90 percent...this would put my first oil change at 15 percent between 5K and 6K...

If it goes much longer, I likely will put in synthetic...if it is going to change at this interval, I likely will stay with dino oil.

Keith S. :{)>
2010 Blackberry Pearl Fit Sport

Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Originally Posted by First09owner
No doubt about that. What stealership doesn't want your money?
They certainly want your money. Has to do with being in business. More importantly they want you as a customer.

When they go directly against the info in the owners manual then there's a problem. BIG RED FLAG

My dealer service department has been quite straight forward with me and has answered all my concerns with insight and honestly. About a week after I picked up my new car I stopped by just to talk with them. We went over the basic service requirements I would be having and what they considered the proper break-in procedures I should follow. I asked about oil changes - switching to synthetic oil - expected tire life - brakes - the MM system. I've called them since to ally my concerns on the first oil change - 15% is what they continue to say, even though I'm at 6K@50%.

I went in without problems but questions. Trust and communication builds positive relationships. I have confidence in their shop from talking with them and from the info I got from talking with those I know who have purchased cars from them. I had choices as to where I bought my FIT. I did a little research and chose who I did.

The really good thing about this forum site is that it can provide the answers to all sorts of questions we all might have. It is a resource. The feedback in its self is a huge benefit to all - members and lurkers alike.

K_C_
There's a few things in this post that have driven me nuts from a number of individuals.

(Disclaimer: This reads like an I Love Honda post but that wasn't the intention. It's more like a reality check.)

1st is the lack of (what I will call) faith in the fact that Honda might actually know what they are doing with their own motors.
  • Honda makes the best and most reliable engines on the market across the board. A few companies like Nissan make some great engines (VQ35) but I don't think any company (except maybe for toyota) can say that they make a complete line of ultra reliable motors. Many of which have higher redlines and can handle being revved more than engines from other major manufacturers.
  • Honda Has built their reputation on reliable engines. Why would they risk their reputation on EXTENDING the interval between changes, especially when they would make more money on changes if they dropped the oil changes to 5K instead of using a MM.
  • what more does it take for people to understand that Honda engineers might have a clue as to what they are doing? Does anyone here have more experience than Honda development engineers working on Honda engines? It's not like the MM is just a timer to see how many miles you've driven. there's alot of calculation gone into figuring it out.
The 2nd point is this "Stealership" thing.
  • I'm not sure what dealers those who claim "stealerships" are going to but every Honda and Acura dealer I've done regular business with has treated me extremely well. (from a service point of view - sales... well... more like a used car salesman but the tune changes when you call them out on it). The service departments have been up front and while they've from time to time, suggested additional services which weren't necessary, never have they treated me poorly when I've turned them down and never have they been anything more than honest with me. My current dealership's service department (in VT) went out of their way to work with a PA dealership when we had a frozen rear caliper on our Ridgeline. It needed to be replaced and our local Service Manager told me to put the PA mgr on the phone and if he couldn't work out a deal, to bring him the bill and he'd pay me back directly. I ended up with no bill to pay just a new caliper and new rotors & pads - stuff that should have been pro-rated.
  • As KC stated, Dealers are out there to make money and the best way is for repeat customers. Because of the service I've received at our local Dealership, I've had all service (except for tire mounting/balancing) done on the Civic, Integra, Ridgeline, & Fit at the dealer. Sure there are some lousy dealers out there. (Planet Honda in NJ was awful when I checked them out back in 2000 - Money grubbing SOB's at the time who didn't get any of mine) but not all are like that. Of the 7 Honda/acura dealers I've had to do business with, 6 have been great and honest.

ok... end the rant/reality check.

~SB

Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I love you man_

Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
There's a few things in this post that have driven me nuts from a number of individuals.

(Disclaimer: This reads like an I Love Honda post but that wasn't the intention. It's more like a reality check.)

1st is the lack of (what I will call) faith in the fact that Honda might actually know what they are doing with their own motors.
The 2nd point is this "Stealership" thing.
  • I'm not sure what dealers those who claim "stealerships" are going to but every Honda and Acura dealer I've done regular business with has treated me extremely well. (from a service point of view - sales... well... more like a used car salesman but the tune changes when you call them out on it). The service departments have been up front and while they've from time to time, suggested additional services which weren't necessary, never have they treated me poorly when I've turned them down and never have they been anything more than honest with me. My current dealership's service department (in VT) went out of their way to work with a PA dealership when we had a frozen rear caliper on our Ridgeline. It needed to be replaced and our local Service Manager told me to put the PA mgr on the phone and if he couldn't work out a deal, to bring him the bill and he'd pay me back directly. I ended up with no bill to pay just a new caliper and new rotors & pads - stuff that should have been pro-rated.
  • As KC stated, Dealers are out there to make money and the best way is for repeat customers. Because of the service I've received at our local Dealership, I've had all service (except for tire mounting/balancing) done on the Civic, Integra, Ridgeline, & Fit at the dealer. Sure there are some lousy dealers out there. (Planet Honda in NJ was awful when I checked them out back in 2000 - Money grubbing SOB's at the time who didn't get any of mine) but not all are like that. Of the 7 Honda/acura dealers I've had to do business with, 6 have been great and honest.

ok... end the rant/reality check.

~SB
Okay, you got a good dealer... But I was sitting at one Honda dealership (will leave unnamed) waiting for my own reasonable first service, and I watched this service guy in the waiting room convince this young woman that they had to do something "to cleanup the carbon" in the engine and to "make the shutter valve work better" becaue of extreme safety concerns..!!?

By the time he was done with her this unaware chick was agreeing to get into this stuff for around $400+, for what I could discern as no real reason???

So don't tell me there are no "stealerships" out there; I've seen too many of then in action... (Including a Chysler dealer a ways back who tried to really fleece my 'ol lady with nonsense maintenance suggestions and charges!!)

Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
I found some interesting answers to oil in general. Pennzoil Product and GF-5 Q&A

Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazzlee
Okay, you got a good dealer... But I was sitting at one Honda dealership (will leave unnamed) waiting for my own reasonable first service, and I watched this service guy in the waiting room convince this young woman that they had to do something "to cleanup the carbon" in the engine and to "make the shutter valve work better" becaue of extreme safety concerns..!!?

By the time he was done with her this unaware chick was agreeing to get into this stuff for around $400+, for what I could discern as no real reason???

So don't tell me there are no "stealerships" out there; I've seen too many of then in action... (Including a Chysler dealer a ways back who tried to really fleece my 'ol lady with nonsense maintenance suggestions and charges!!)
Of course there are some out there, I even named one in my post directly, my main complaint is that everyone automatically assumes that all dealerships are "stealerships" i'm sure some of this is due to the higher prices you pay at the dealer and the fact that there are some out there that are lousy. But there are a number (I'd hedge a bet that the majority of Honda dealers out there are decent.). My experiences have been in NJ, PA, & VT with a number of different ones and as I stated, one bad, a number of others... good.

~SB

Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
As money get tighter and sales are lower, Dealerships are going to be desperate. Thats why its important for people to be educated so you will know if your being taken. Isn't that what this forum is for? Its a shame that even a good dealerships will take advantage of people that don't know there cars.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Chazzlee

These practices certainly exist. I would guess in every shop.

Make a sale.

Attach a bit more merchandise to it.
Expand the sale.

Maximize profit.
Minimize investment.

Part of being in business. Sink or Swim. Some are cut-throat. The good ones help you enjoy spending $$'s.

With car maintenance the best approach is an informed one. Do your home work. That's what this forum is for. Search around - ask questions - learn, it's all here.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
These practices certainly exist. I would guess in every shop.

Make a sale.

Attach a bit more merchandise to it.
Expand the sale.

Maximize profit.
Minimize investment.

Part of being in business. Sink or Swim. Some are cut-throat. The good ones help you enjoy spending $$'s.

With car maintenance the best approach is an informed one. Do your home work. That's what this forum is for. Search around - ask questions - learn, it's all here.
Agreed. The add-ons are just part of everyday business. go into a staples and have an associate help you buy a printer, They'll suggest adding on a Cable, Ink/toner, Paper, Service Plan. If they are pushy and tell you you MUST buy it or that if you don't, your printer will fail, that's a bad store. The most common add-on Phrase... "would you like Fries with that?" These practices are common n every retail operation. I did it at Burger King for 7 years (college job - Was my source of $$ during High School & college and also for buying my first Honda - Prelude).

I have no problems with dealers suggesting additional maintenance which might be beneficial. It's the shady ones that push maintenance earlier or non-beneficial services that I would avoid. In my experience they have been much more rare than people seem to state. People need to not confuse this Add-on sales concept with bad service.

~SB

Old 08-01-2010, 05:02 PM
When are you doing first oil change.

My oil reader shows 60% and I only have 3300 miles on my '10 Fit Sport. I don't drive it that much as I purchased it in Dec. '09. I also got a free oil change from the dealer. I might not get to 15 or 20% within a year. I called my dealer and they told me if your not down to the percentage that Honda recommends for an oil change; Honda says you should have the oil changed at least once a year. Since I want to take advantage of the free oil change, I will wait until this Dec. After that, I might do it every 6 months. I doubt I will do the old school way of every 3 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. I have not decided yet on using synthetic as I do not track or autocross this car.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTEX
My oil reader shows 60% and I only have 3300 miles on my '10 Fit Sport. I don't drive it that much as I purchased it in Dec. '09. I also got a free oil change from the dealer. I might not get to 15 or 20% within a year. I called my dealer and they told me if your not down to the percentage that Honda recommends for an oil change; Honda says you should have the oil changed at least once a year. Since I want to take advantage of the free oil change, I will wait until this Dec. After that, I might do it every 6 months. I doubt I will do the old school way of every 3 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. I have not decided yet on using synthetic as I do not track or autocross this car.
Once a year is all you need unless mm says so. Check your oil, if oil is down 1/2 quart I would change it. As far a synthetics, I dont think its needed unless your drive your car hard with lots of highway and have a turbo. Go up a few posts to a link that can explain it better. New gf5 oil are coming out and are better then ever.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by jbdaddy
Reading this thread is making my head hurt. Please make the pain stop.

It's all pretty simple - you either follow the maintenance minder or you don't. Even though I am a mechanical engineer, I don't pretend to know more about my Fit than the folks who built it. if they come up with an algorithm that tells me when to change my oil, I follow it. They are going to honor the warranty, and they certainly know how the car was designed (tolerances, materials, heat up distortion, etc.).

My first change was at about 10,200 miles. I switched to synthetic 5W-20 (it gets about 20 below zero here in Nebraska and I want fast lubrication during cold starts). i also use a WIX filter, since the newer model Honda filters are made by Honeywell (Fram equivalent) and are pretty lousy. The WIX is an upgrade.

Back in the day, we broke in engines and changed the oil at 600 miles and then every 3K or so. But we also changed points and plugs about every 5K as well and adjusted carburetor floats. A lot has changed since then, including oil quality and oil change intervals. Oh, we also used to run 20W-50, compared to the 5W-20 common today.
jbdaddy Well said. Welcome to the freak forum ;-)

I'm right on your heals, mileage wise, on a first oil change. At 40%7K now.

You are right - everything in the 'oil world' has changed. Today's auto oils are in a new world. It's going to come down to filtration. Ultra-fine pressure filters run off the battery, like power steering today. Oil will last forever.

K_C_

Old 08-28-2010, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jbdaddy
Reading this thread is making my head hurt. Please make the pain stop.

It's all pretty simple - you either follow the maintenance minder or you don't. Even though I am a mechanical engineer, I don't pretend to know more about my Fit than the folks who built it. if they come up with an algorithm that tells me when to change my oil, I follow it. They are going to honor the warranty, and they certainly know how the car was designed (tolerances, materials, heat up distortion, etc.).

Ever read Dilbert? Those 'cartoons' I have seen in real life dozens of times. Do you think Honda engineers wrote that or marketing? All of the Honda engineers I know use mileage to change oil. They will argue 3 to 8 k all day but none follow the 'minder'.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Where does one find these engineers and how does one address them?

I'm gonna guess it requires knowledge of Japanese honorifics.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Ever read Dilbert? Those 'cartoons' I have seen in real life dozens of times. Do you think Honda engineers wrote that or marketing? All of the Honda engineers I know use mileage to change oil. They will argue 3 to 8 k all day but none follow the 'minder'.
I used to follow dilbert - then I retired... I can still see how they make sense, though I keep working on forgetting... and that will start automatically in a few more years ;-)

Tall claim. Not to doubt you, but how many do you know?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
I am Dilbert.

Marketing comes up with an idea. Usually not original or well thought out. It's up to engineering to make it work or die laughing. I think someone in marketing said, "Put a smart maintenance minder in it," and the engineers came up with the algorithms for calculating oil life.

I actually trust Honda's engineers (even though I've never seen one).

Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 PM
My hand calculation figures up I will be at 15% when the odometer hits around 7200-7500 miles.. Lets just say I change it earlier than that though, not sure I will cause I believe the Honda engineers know what they are dong..

But if I change it earlier when it says like 50% or 40% do I reset the computer even if its at a pre-mature mileage? Will that throw off the future services required like when it tells me to do spark plugs and so forth? Or do I just leave the computer and let it keep going down to 15% and reset it even though I already changed the oil on my own.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244

I actually trust Honda's engineers (even though I've never seen one).
What do you trust them with? That the oil changed sooner will not be better for your engine than waiting for the oil to last to its limits?

Meter minder is meant to prevent soccer moms from running their oil until the engine seizes up.

People who want the freshest and cleanest oil for their engines, change it sooner. You are free to change it with the minder, that will maintain your factory warranty.

Last edited by john21031; 08-28-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: When are you doing your first oil change?