2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

USB port ins and outs - any to add?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks. Yeah I remember reading that somewhere--just wondered if anyone tried it regardless. Have a friend of mine that, if you tell him he's not supposed to do something, that is the first thing he will do. Figured there were more of him out there.

I'm good with my single USB port.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
A hub won't damage anything, it also won't work. I just went and plugged one in.....as expected, navi displays UNSUPPORTED.

Last edited by reako; 06-03-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey Guys,

As of today, I'm a proud new owner of a 2009 Sport/Navi/Manual Fit. I was playing around with the navigation system, in particularly the USB mass storage, and was wondering if anybody here knows the MAX capacity the USB connection will accept. Since 64GB jump drives are available, will our navi system recognize it? Also what type of filesytem does it support?

Thanks Guys!
Happy Owner (Previous car - Infinit FX35 Sport)

Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
I have the Fit 2009 with the non-navi sound system. I've already connected my 160 Gb HDD on it, and it worked!!!!

I think that the navi model might work too...

Best regards,
PO.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paulo oliveira
I have the Fit 2009 with the non-navi sound system. I've already connected my 160 Gb HDD on it, and it worked!!!!

I think that the navi model might work too...

Best regards,
PO.
Let us know the make and model of your hard drive. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 PM
The HDD I don't know exactly the model. It's a SAMSUNG SATA 2.5'', using a generic "made in china" external USB case.

Best regards,

PO.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Self powered via USB, I assume? You need to give us more details please!

The HDD I don't know exactly the model. It's a SAMSUNG SATA 2.5'', using a generic "made in china" external USB case.

Best regards,

PO.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah. Self-powered.
It's a cheap HDD enclosure. EXACTLY this one:

Link: DealExtreme: $8.94 SATA USB 2.0 Hard Disk Enclosure for 2.5-inch HDD

The USB cable has 2 connectors on one tip but you can connect just one that works fine. This is for old computers that have USB 1.1 and you need to connect both to have enought power.

I think that the drive installed in it can be anyone compatible.

Best regards,
PO.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah. Self-powered.
It's a cheap HDD enclosure. EXACTLY this one:

Link: DealExtreme: $8.94 SATA USB 2.0 Hard Disk Enclosure for 2.5-inch HDD

The USB cable has 2 connectors on one tip but you can connect just one that works fine. This is for old computers that have USB 1.1 and you need to connect both to have enought power.

I think that the drive installed in it can be anyone compatible.

Best regards,
PO.
Nice job commin' through with all that info man! +1

Last edited by reako; 06-19-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Oh nice, I just tested a portable USB powered Western Digital 400 GB drive and partitioned it into a 32 GB volume. I guess one thing to keep in mind when formatting the drive is to make sure that it is formatted as a "FAT32" drive and NOT "NTFS". This is the best thing ever!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
File name sorting still suck though... not impressed with that on the OEM unit. Otherwise a GREAT audio setup on the fit sport...

Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by pdpboy
Oh nice, I just tested a portable USB powered Western Digital 400 GB drive and partitioned it into a 32 GB volume. I guess one thing to keep in mind when formatting the drive is to make sure that it is formatted as a "FAT32" drive and NOT "NTFS". This is the best thing ever!!!!!
Great to mention that! That's very correct!

Rgds,
PO.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I've got a 2009 model Honda Jazz (what the Fit is branded as in Australia). Honda in their ultimate wisdom decided that the Jazz in Australia didn't need the usb connector on any of their models.

Am I correct in assuming that in the US Fit you only get the usb connector on the sports model? Does anyone know if it possible to upgrade one of the non-sport models (officially or aftermarket) to have a USB connector since I presume that they all share the same stereo system?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skyfire
I've got a 2009 model Honda Jazz (what the Fit is branded as in Australia). Honda in their ultimate wisdom decided that the Jazz in Australia didn't need the usb connector on any of their models.

Am I correct in assuming that in the US Fit you only get the usb connector on the sports model? Does anyone know if it possible to upgrade one of the non-sport models (officially or aftermarket) to have a USB connector since I presume that they all share the same stereo system?
Yes.. the Base Fit does not have a USB Port but it can be purchased from the dealer and added on. Genuine Honda Accessories at Discount Prices - Honda Product Information, Videos and News has it here in the us along with instructions in regards to installing. (you might be interested in the Install Docs)

~SB

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
Trouble with USB drive

Have a Mac and USB thumb drive with MP3 files on it but Fit 09 saying unsupportable, how should the drive be formatted?
Mac OS Extended or MS-DOS (Fat)
Thanks for any help.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
I'm wondering if there is some way to flash or update the software in the stereo to "upgrade" the USB feature. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of program installed, since it does look at ID3 tags and does read folder structures. if we know the type of software used, we could code our own search features, or maybe Honda would create an update to modify the software.

If (as it stands now) the volume knob traverses the directory tree stucture to scroll through all folders (whether they be parent or child), then it's safe to assume it could be changed to:

on first press of vol button, just show folders in root (no children)
scroll to folder, and press volume, it now scrolls through subfolders of this folder....(maybe the up arrow/down arrow button could be to go back a folder)

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Orange Julius
Have a Mac and USB thumb drive with MP3 files on it but Fit 09 saying unsupportable, how should the drive be formatted?
Mac OS Extended or MS-DOS (Fat)
Thanks for any help.
I think it needs to be formatted FAT32

Old 09-04-2010, 02:10 AM
I'll just say it here that I really love using a flash drive for my music. Namely because I really, really hate using iTunes to manage a damn iPod.

If anyone needs a cheap flash drive, Buy.com has an 8gb for $15 shipped:
Buy.com - Kingston 8GB DataTraveler Generation 3 (G3) USB Flash Drive (White & Yellow)

The only thing I'm not crazy about is trying to put music on my flash drive with my mac -- where all of my music is. Does anybody have any solutions? The problem seems to be the excessive amount of files OS X writes to the drive that the stereo doesn't support/doesn't know what to do with

Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
As for the extra files that OSX puts on the drive. If run the terminal program, they are quite easy to remove. (I'm doing this from memory and will try to double check tomorrow afternoon when I'm in front of my computer)

Fire up terminal
Navigate to the drive
- cd /Volumes
- ls (this will show you the name of the drives)
- cd (name of volume here)
* cd changes the directory (cd.. will back up one level)
in a given folder, type "ls" and check out the files
you will see all your files and note that there are exact duplicates with a leading ._
to remove all those, you can just enter the following command:
rm ._*
this will remove ALL files that start with ._(followed by ANYTHING)

I'm sure there's a simple shell or perl script that would make this do all the folders at once, but i'm too lazy/tired to think about it

Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
As an aside... since we can use such large drives, there really isn't a reason to worry about duplicate files taking up space. I made my folders as playlists. Some songs duplicate in more than one folder/playlist, but i don't really care due to using a HDD.
This gets me wondering... can I make a sym-link from the terminal that points to the actual file and have the car see it?
I'll try that tomorrow too... If it works, I'll post details on how to do it!

The only thing I sometimes miss is being able to listen to a specific artist due to this. Using an iPod makes all that seem to work a bit better, but regardless... the navigation through everything seems - - bad. I have learned to live with setting a folder/playlist to random play and just go with it.

Last edited by zerogeek; 09-04-2010 at 03:36 AM.

Quick Reply: USB port ins and outs - any to add?