2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

USB Interface - Hard Drives

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fliptwister
The ipod has a 1.8" hard drive. I guess that might be the reason...
Thanks for your input, I still don't understand how the platter size has any significance...if I could get someone to confirm a 2.5" drive works, this would prove my theory.....if not, perhaps that's the issue..? Anyway I have two 4gb Sandisk Cruzer Titanium's I'm loading up now....kinda suprized how much good stuff I can fit on here! *I'm leaving U3 alone for now, hope it works! I disabled the password at least..

Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Spinlooproll,

I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 16GB and couldn't get it to work.
I had disabled U3.

What did you do to get it to work ?

Last edited by gsimms; 03-31-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added name of user to better direct msg
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Did you see 'unsupported' on the screen? When you right click on the drive in Windows what does it say for the file system? Can you paste screenshots/pics?

BTW, the cards work just fine with U3 on the drive as well. I've been tooling around with a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Backup with U3 on it and it works great.

Originally Posted by gsimms
Spinlooproll,

I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 16GB and couldn't get it to work.
I had disabled U3.

What did you do to get it to work ?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
The Transcend 64 GB JetFlash V20 USB 2.0 Drive TS64GJFV20 works well out of the box, maddening Fit user interface to one side, that is.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by spinlooproll
Did you see 'unsupported' on the screen? When you right click on the drive in Windows what does it say for the file system? Can you paste screenshots/pics?

BTW, the cards work just fine with U3 on the drive as well. I've been tooling around with a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Backup with U3 on it and it works great.

Yes. It said it was unsupported.
File system is FAT32

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by spinlooproll

Yes. It said it was unsupported.
File system is FAT32

Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Experiment with the "Allocation Unit Size" field under the format menu.

Last edited by reako; 03-31-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Alright, made a quick DIY for ya:

1. Open up "My Computer" on the desktop, you should see all your drives listed, find the flash drive you have attached, in the example below you see 2GB CRUZER. Right-Click this icon and choose "Format" from the list of options.

2. One the Format screen place a check mark next to Quick Format, and select the drop arrow for the "Allocation Unit Size" and try an alternate size like 8196 - 4096 or lower (*Note - if the only option is "Default Allocation Size", no worries this process should still work).

3. Verify the File system is FAT32, and click the "Start" button to format.

**Here is another drive I have connected to show a few of the Allocation unit sizes you may come across. Again, for the Fit USB - the lower allocation unit size is more likely to work:

I believe the 32GB Kingston USB in my Fit is actually set at 16k file allocation size - works like a charm.

Last edited by reako; 04-01-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
Raeko may be right on this one, I was going to suggest checking the cluster size and playing with it. There may also be another reason, but checking that out would require it to be back in factory state. PM me if you want to explore that path.

However, once a host recognizes a file system, it is usually expected to work for all cluster sizes that are legal within the file system spec.

That said, you could try running chkdsk <drive letter:> from the cmd prompt (right click and run as administrator if you're in Vista) and see if anything needs fixing. If it reports errors, run chkdsk <drive letter:> /f, and then insert it into the Fit USB port after the errors are fixed.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I'll drop by the dealership sometime this week with a couple hard drives, and a couple thumbdrives to check which work, as I don't have the USB option.

I'll post pictures, and results.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Thumbs up

Worked like a charm.
Thanks for the help!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
I'll drop by the dealership sometime this week with a couple hard drives, and a couple thumbdrives to check which work, as I don't have the USB option.
I have not come across a thumb drive that didn't work after following the steps above. Here are a few I own and can confirm work perfectly:

However, the only hard drives that will most likely work are going to be the mini ultra-portable 1.8" platter 4200rpm drives with shock protection like the Apricorn Aegis:

Last edited by reako; 04-01-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Yep, power requirements are going to be an issue with the HDDs 2.5 and bigger.

Something not yet mentioned: USB adapters for SD cards, CF cards, etc... I would assume they all work just fine.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Just closing on the allocation unit/cluster size being an issue. I can confirm that when I tweak a FAT32 drive (manual editing or using tools) with a different cluster size (other than Microsoft recommended default at Description of Default Cluster Sizes for FAT32 File System) then the Fit doesn't like it. Which is sad, but true.
While checking that table, be aware that a 8GB drive most likely is less than 8192MB and so on. So the lower value applies.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I know I may be hated for this but I bought a 8 gig sandisk at wally mart for $20. All I do is drag what I want to listen to that week into folders ie: New hits, Classics, Comedy, ex. and change it up once a week, doesn't take much time plus with having those huge hard drives you will be doing the same thing.... How much music is too much..... really

Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I just got a samsung s1 mini 120GB to try. Its also a 1.8 inch drive. It Failed. it came formatted fat32 32k cluster size. also tried ntfs at 4k and default cluster sizes and 1gb fat32 4k cluster size with 3 different usb cables.

I have a buffalo MiniStation 80GB HD-PHS80U2/UC 2.5 inch drive that works. Its formatted fat32 32k cluster size. Also, I have a 1GB thumb drive formatted fat32 4k cluster size

Old 07-24-2009, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 7stg
I just got a samsung s1 mini 120GB to try. Its also a 1.8 inch drive. It Failed. it came formatted fat32 32k cluster size. also tried ntfs at 4k and default cluster sizes and 1gb fat32 4k cluster size with 3 different usb cables.

I have a buffalo MiniStation 80GB HD-PHS80U2/UC 2.5 inch drive that works. Its formatted fat32 32k cluster size. Also, I have a 1GB thumb drive formatted fat32 4k cluster size
Thanks for the info 7stg!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by minnemike
Yep, power requirements are going to be an issue with the HDDs 2.5 and bigger.
Definitely.

The issue isn't so much power as it is current. A single USB 2.0 port can only give 500mA of current, maximum. Most external HDDs need more than this - at least 650mA on most 2.5" external HDDs if memory serves. Unfortunately most HDD manufacturers I've seen don't publish the current draw of their products.

Over here in the Philippines some people sell a 12V power socket plug that terminates in a USB port. Some people use this and a USB Y-cable to power their external HDDs and ensure they get enough current.

HTHs

Old 07-25-2009, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
The issue isn't so much power as it is current.
Aren't they they same thing? 5v (500mA) power is the same as 5v (500mA) current....

A single USB 2.0 port can only give 500mA of current, maximum. Most external HDDs need more than this - at least 650mA on most 2.5" external HDDs if memory serves. Unfortunately most HDD manufacturers I've seen don't publish the current draw of their products.
Right. However you might see it listed under "power requirements" on the back of the package, or check it out on-line before you buy. In general the more expensive, "ultra portable" type drives with the 1.8" platter size seem to work very well.

Over here in the Philippines some people sell a 12V power socket plug that terminates in a USB port. Some people use this and a USB Y-cable to power their external HDDs and ensure they get enough current.

HTHs
I have seen 12v DC to USB, but never the other way around. First of all you would need more than just an "adapter" as your only ever getting 5v from USB. In the end it would be a fairly complex and inefficent system likely using an oscillator, transformer and rectifier. Oh, and you may also damage the USB output on your stereo.

Last edited by reako; 07-25-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by reako
I have seen 12v DC to USB, but never the other way around. First of all you would need more than just an "adapter" as your only ever getting 5v from USB. In the end it would be a fairly complex and inefficent system likely using an oscillator, transformer and rectifier. Oh, and you may also damage the USB output on your stereo.
You're misunderstanding. He/she is talking about something that uses a LM7805 or similar voltage regulator and steps the voltage down from 12v to 5v. Think about the USB device chargers that go into a cigarette lighter jack.

I have a feeling that's what the Poster was talking about.

Unless they're talking about 12V usb devices, which you don't see too often in the real world:

Quick Reply: USB Interface - Hard Drives