2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Spiderweb scratches on new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Spiderweb scratches on new Fit

So..... when I picked up my Milano Red from the Dealer it was an overcast day. The next day in bright sun I noticed the whole car was covered in light spiderweb? scratches.

I called the dealer and he said to bring the car in. Today I went over and after checking with the detail people, he told me it was caused by the plastic film that covers the entire car during shipping. He said the cars from Japan are completely covered in it. He said it happens to all of them. He showed me a Blue Sensation (beautiful) and although less noticable on that color, I could see the scratches on that one also.
He said there was nothing they could do about it.

My question: Is this true? Or did their detail/ prep shop just screw up the Blue one also?

Does everyone else have light scratches all over their cars?
Thanks.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Take a picture of them with the flash/brightest light source you have. Have you tried to buff them out or anything?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
scratches

As far as the tiny scratches, spider webbing, micro marring or whatever you want to call them they are next to impossible to avoid. If you had it detailed by a professional with a DA or oritalbuffer that knew what he was doing you could get the spiderwebbing removed. After you washed it the first time some scratches would be back. The cars are covered in some industrial looking stuff when they come in. Did that cause all the issues? I couldn't tell you.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
As far as the tiny scratches, spider webbing, micro marring or whatever you want to call them they are next to impossible to avoid. If you had it detailed by a professional with a DA or oritalbuffer that knew what he was doing you could get the spiderwebbing removed. After you washed it the first time some scratches would be back. The cars are covered in some industrial looking stuff when they come in. Did that cause all the issues? I couldn't tell you.
And now is the perfect time to get into the wonderful world of detailing. A porter cable 7424 is what you need.

Last edited by Goodguy-Fly; 10-21-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
As far as the plastic wrapping this is true. I got my car right off the truck and there were these white plastic stickers that wrapped around the whole car on each panel even the roof.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
If the dealership washed your car then thats another big no no. From now on NEVER let a dealership wash or "detail" your car. Find a professional detailer in your area. These can be easily removed with a porter cable or rotary buffer and some good ol menzerna polish.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
If the dealership washed your car then thats another big no no. From now on NEVER let a dealership wash or "detail" your car. Find a professional detailer in your area. These can be easily removed with a porter cable or rotary buffer and some good ol menzerna polish.
Are you saying not to have your newly purchased car cleaned up during PDI?

Those microscratches are inevitable, but more noticeable on dark colors. If you wipe your car with anything while waxing/washing you're going to see them. It's not a big deal, I think.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 AM
I dont. I drove my 09 Fit home with the plastic and all. Honda gave me a courtesy wash on my S2000 when I took it in for service, when I saw it my jaw dropped. Swirls everywhere. And mine was black. Ive detailed many cars that have come to me because they got the courtesy wash at the dealer and now the paint was all scratched and what not. Theyre hard to notice till you see them in direct sunlight.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
I dont. I drove my 09 Fit home with the plastic and all. Honda gave me a courtesy wash on my S2000 when I took it in for service, when I saw it my jaw dropped. Swirls everywhere. And mine was black. Ive detailed many cars that have come to me because they got the courtesy wash at the dealer and now the paint was all scratched and what not. Theyre hard to notice till you see them in direct sunlight.
So would you recommend against the local hand car wash places? Are you saying the Honda dealer car wash facilities aren't as competent? I'm not doubting you here, just trying to learn.

I've been taking mine to those hand wash places most of the time. I don't notice the swirls much, in fact if anything I notice them more from when I polish my car. It doesn't bother me much since even on a black car (I've had 5 of them) you only notice it in certain lighting.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:46 AM
I would also recommend against that. Most of them use a pressure washer which can cause scratches if people use them real close to the paint, plus the sponges and towels they provide there are not of quality. You will be way better off picking up a good quality lambs wool washing mitt, meguiars gold class shampoo, and a waffle weave drying towel. And always use the 2 bucket method with a grit guard to avoid adding more scratches and swirls to your paint. Most swirls cant be seen till you put it in direct sunlight or take a halogen light to the paint.

I see the dealerships here drop their sponge on the ground, pick it up and keep washing the car. And seen them dry it off with bath towels. Makes me cringe lol

Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
I would also recommend against that. Most of them use a pressure washer which can cause scratches if people use them real close to the paint, plus the sponges and towels they provide there are not of quality. You will be way better off picking up a good quality lambs wool washing mitt, meguiars gold class shampoo, and a waffle weave drying towel. And always use the 2 bucket method with a grit guard to avoid adding more scratches and swirls to your paint. Most swirls cant be seen till you put it in direct sunlight or take a halogen light to the paint.

I see the dealerships here drop their sponge on the ground, pick it up and keep washing the car. And seen them dry it off with bath towels. Makes me cringe lol
Thanks for the info and tips! +1 rep for you!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 AM
CBX
Solid tips! +1 more rep.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
In short.. the clearcoat always get scratched, leaving those "spider webs", whenever a car is washed. It's much more obvious in darker cars. I have always owned black cars... and even after waxing it with a Porter Cable orbital buffer, you continue to see imprefections in the paint when the car is in the direct sunlight. It's funny.. my girlfriend has a silver Corolla that has only been waxed one time (by me). It continues to look amazing. I used to always be disappointed when, after washing/waxing my car, and then putting it next to hers (which wasn't even washed) how much better her car would look in the direct sunlight. Dark cars look awesome in all conditions except direct sunlight. After comparing my last black car w/ her silver Corolla, I bought my '09 Fit in Storm Silver. It looks awesome!

So basically... don't worry about the swirl marks on darker colored cars. You can buff them out w/ a good wax (I like Meguiars NXT generation) and a Porter Cable orbital buffer (costs about $150 and will last a lifetime). It is what it is......

Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM
You will be way better off picking up a good quality lambs wool washing mitt, meguiars gold class shampoo, and a waffle weave drying towel. And always use the 2 bucket method with a grit guard to avoid adding more scratches and swirls to your paint. Most swirls cant be seen till you put it in direct sunlight or take a halogen light to the paint.
I bought all that in anticipation of the new car. Wanted to keep it scratch free. Even watched this video several times. How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)

Think I might buy myself a DA machine for X-mas. I don't have a garage, so won't be using it till spring. By then I'm sure I'll relax about the webbing. Just avert my eyes in bright sun.
+1 rep (as soon as I find out how to do it)

CrystalFiveMT
"Those microscratches are inevitable, but more noticeable on dark colors. If you wipe your car with anything while waxing/washing you're going to see them. It's not a big deal, I think."

Your right, I'll lighten up about it. Thanks all.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
And now is the perfect time to get into the wonderful world of detailing. A porter cable 7424 is what you need.
I've had one for about 2 years.
Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car

Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Having a dark color car is a part time job in itself

Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 PM
ditto

Having a dark color car is a part time job in itself
I totally agree! I love the Blackberry Pearl color. I think it's the most beautiful paint I've ever seen and I also think it would be most at home in a museum! White, silver and champagne are the way to go to mask swirls and other perfections.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
Any tips on how to use an orbital buffer? I tried it once before and boy did I make a huge mess mostly and gave up and ended up doing it by hand.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
Any tips on how to use an orbital buffer? I tried it once before and boy did I make a huge mess mostly and gave up and ended up doing it by hand.
Never attempt this on your car if you dont know what your doing. When I was learning I picked up about 10 black hoods/fenders/trunks from wrecked cars at a junkyard and practiced on that till I felt comfortable doing it on my car. Heres a good video that explains the basics on how to use it. YouTube - Porter cable 7424 light swirl remover Check out the other videos from autogeek. They all have very good tutorials/tips.

Edit: Check this video out too YouTube - Car polishing featuring Porter Cable 7424

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 10-21-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Unhappy Paint Quality

This is my first "inexpensive" new car in quite a while, and I am disappointed in the paint quality. I already have a stone chip and a scratch or two. I only have 700 miles on the car.

Do Honda's have inferior paint or am I spoiled by my Lexus?

Quick Reply: Spiderweb scratches on new Fit