2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Spiderweb scratches on new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by animes2k
This is true - even the S2000 and ESPECIALLY Berlina Black was some crappy soft easily-scratched paint.
I hear ya man I had a berlina AP1. You look at that car the wrong way and it gets scratched

Old 10-22-2008, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cardinal
So..... when I picked up my Milano Red from the Dealer it was an overcast day. The next day in bright sun I noticed the whole car was covered in light spiderweb? scratches.

I called the dealer and he said to bring the car in. Today I went over and after checking with the detail people, he told me it was caused by the plastic film that covers the entire car during shipping. He said the cars from Japan are completely covered in it. He said it happens to all of them. He showed me a Blue Sensation (beautiful) and although less noticable on that color, I could see the scratches on that one also.
He said there was nothing they could do about it.

My question: Is this true? Or did their detail/ prep shop just screw up the Blue one also?

Does everyone else have light scratches all over their cars?
Thanks.
I took delivery of 2009 Honda Fit base model last Thursday night, Oct 16th. After I left the dealer I went to dinner down the street and parked in a lot with lots of bright lights. I wanted to check out the car a little more after I got out and lo and behold I discovered some fineline scratches on the driver's side roof rail immediately above the door. I confirmed it in the sunlight the following day and immediately set up an appointment to go to the dealer on Saturday. I took it in and they buffed it out. The service manager stated the scratches were in the clearcoat and not the actual paint. It looks fine now. My Fit is blue sensation pearl which is a knock out color.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:45 AM
clearcoat? paint?

Originally Posted by FIT4LIFE
The service manager stated the scratches were in the clearcoat and not the actual paint. It looks fine now. My Fit is blue sensation pearl which is a knock out color.
Your color (blue sensation) is quite beautiful no doubt. The clearcoat is part of your paint! It is part of the actual paint! It's not some sort of force field hovering above the "actual" paint. The clearcoat layer is "paint" minus the pigments! Scratches in your clearcoat are scratches in your paint!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by feddup
Your color (blue sensation) is quite beautiful no doubt. The clearcoat is part of your paint! It is part of the actual paint! It's not some sort of force field hovering above the "actual" paint. The clearcoat layer is "paint" minus the pigments! Scratches in your clearcoat are scratches in your paint!
I think he meant its not part of the actual color paint. As in if a scratch is only clear coat deep, it can be polished out.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:48 AM
I've detailed professionally. I had to detail our BBP as soon as we got it home. However, using the PC7424 and a light polish/pad combo took care of all the spider webs/swirl marks. There were plenty but they weren't deep (thankfully).
What pad/polish combo would you recommend?
Most of my wash stuff I bought from Autopia. So I know their site. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
done

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I think he meant its not part of the actual color paint. As in if a scratch is only clear coat deep, it can be polished out.
The clearcoat is not some sort of add on or accessory. If you remove your entire clear coat layer the entire look will change as well as it's protective qualities. When your clearcoat layer is removed it's time to get your car repainted. 5K$ if you get nice work! I'm just saying don't buff with a polisher for fun. The layers of paint have a FINITE thickness! Once you burn through them there's no going back.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
What pad/polish combo would you recommend?
Most of my wash stuff I bought from Autopia. So I know their site. Thanks!
I went with Menzerna PO106FF mixed 50/50 with Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze to extend working time and control dusting and a green DAS light polishing pad. Made quick work of the swirls. Work it @ 6 until it's mostly broken down and taa-daa! No swirls.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I went with Menzerna PO106FF mixed 50/50 with Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze to extend working time and control dusting and a green DAS light polishing pad. Made quick work of the swirls. Work it @ 6 until it's mostly broken down and taa-daa! No swirls.

MMMMMM....Sparkly

Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Wow- that is nice. And thanks for the info.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Update

I woke up last night at 2 am and thought: I should call American Honda.
So that's what I did today. Told them what the dealer said: that the plastic wrap put on by Honda in Japan caused all the scratches on my new car and there was nothing they could do about it. And that all the cars from Japan come full of scratches.

The nice woman who answered my call said that a caseworker would contact me in one or two business days. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:27 PM
You know, I filled out the online survey from Honda about my purchasing experience and swirls and spider webs were one of the options to indicate "paint flaws." I most certainly indicated that they were present.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:04 PM
honda

The nice woman who answered my call said that a caseworker would contact me in one or two business days. I'll keep you all posted.
It won't affect me but I'd like to hear what Honda corporate has to say about this.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Question Update and Question

I have a meeting set later this week with a Honda Representative for this region at the Dealership where I bought the car.

I was told by Honda America he has the authority to come to a decision on the matter.

My understanding, from reading this forum and a few other sites, is that the car needs to be polished to remove the fine scratches. And I should be on the lookout for a glaze application that will wash out in a few months or so. Correct? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I would ask them to reimburse you for professional detailing done outside of the dealership. This would be the only option I would accept if they offer to remedy the situation. Their dealership detailers aren't skilled at paint correction or they wouldn't be working at a dealership.

I don't know where in NY you are, but I know for a fact there are solid independent mobile detailers around the city and surrounding areas.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm about 90 miles north of NYC.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks. +1