2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why Not A Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by ProMed
Just to play the other side, one could also argue that global warming is a scam...

In true skeptic fashion, it helps to question the source of the data. whatreallyhappened(like they really know).com constantly posts articles about weather events with subsequent quips about global warming or Al Gore. This completely undermines any credibility they have on the subject because weather and climate are two very different things.

Short of being able to do the research myself, I'll defer to scientists across the globe who devote their lives to studying things like this objectively instead of web pages/columnists that tell me that because steam rises, gravity doesn't exist.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Climatologist
Wow...the stupidity gets better.
& this thread makes any sense?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 AM
It did until you jacked it.

Next time I'll talk about baking techniques and not cars...maybe that'll make more sense to you.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
It did until you jacked it.

Next time I'll talk about baking techniques and not cars...maybe that'll make more sense to you.
that makes even less sense, seeing how ive mentioned nothing about 'baking'. someone should get off their high horse. all you did was copy & paste the 'top 10 myths about hybrids' off of MSN.

what exact car knowlegde are you bringing to the table? besides the fact that youre bitching @ Honda for not making a Fit hybrid. youre sooo worried about the earth/ global warming yet you dont drive a hybrid.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Dude...get over it. If you can't talk about the topic, get lost and go somewhere else.

Thanks for your opinion.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
It appears that you have a posting style that members don't like.

It must not be very fun for you when people turn against you all the time unless that's your intention. That in itself looks like an agenda. It's well known as trolling.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I think some of you need to look at yourselves and try to figure out your own insecurities as to why you think that.

What you're dealing with, it's self inflicted. I can't help you there.

It's quite obvious you guys have a terrifically tough time focusing.

Anyway, if you have nothing better to say, I'd appreciate you step out of the convo

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

The sad part is that even though my wife and I don't even have children, we seem to care more about this planet and its future than people who do. I simply can't fathom why.

Any thoughts?
yah, if you really care about the planet, buy a severely mass produced
economy car that is ULEV and drive that making sure you take it into
SMOG check every year after 4-5yrs. you buying hybrids will only make
matters worse by creating more pollutants during the production of
the car. hybrids bring awareness, but not the solution just yet.

next, donate money to the charities every year...the amount of money
that you may have spent on children. say $1k/month on daycare in
addition to $50K each for collge, another $15K for their apartments,
living expense, their wedding, etc. etc. etc. you can help.

until you have children, you will never understand the challenges.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
I think some of you need to look at yourselves and try to figure out your own insecurities as to why you think that.

What you're dealing with, it's self inflicted. I can't help you there.

It's quite obvious you guys have a terrifically tough time focusing.

Anyway, if you have nothing better to say, I'd appreciate you step out of the convo

Thanks.
No need to look at ourselves. Insecurities aren't what makes us "think that". The facts show prominently here in this thread.

Say it to yourself. "What you're dealing with, it's self inflicted". I don't want to help you with that.

Focusing on this drivel is certainly tough. Not really worth much though.

The "convo" isn't going anywhere. Maybe you should step out.

You're welcome.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, if you really care about the planet, buy a severely mass produced
economy car that is ULEV and drive that making sure you take it into
SMOG check every year after 4-5yrs. you buying hybrids will only make
matters worse by creating more pollutants during the production of
the car. hybrids bring awareness, but not the solution just yet.
I agree...the old car should also be recycled not just sold.

next, donate money to the charities every year...the amount of money
that you may have spent on children. say $1k/month on daycare in
addition to $50K each for collge, another $15K for their apartments,
living expense, their wedding, etc. etc. etc. you can help.

until you have children, you will never understand the challenges.
I do participate actively and donate alot. I actually work in the field and make instrumentation that measures global weather changes.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
No need to look at ourselves. Insecurities aren't what makes us "think that". The facts show prominently here in this thread.

Say it to yourself. "What you're dealing with, it's self inflicted". I don't want to help you with that.

Focusing on this drivel is certainly tough. Not really worth much though.

The "convo" isn't going anywhere. Maybe you should step out.

You're welcome.
Don't the let door hit your ass on the way out.

Thanks for your useless input.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Don't the let door hit your ass on the way out.

Thanks for your useless input.
I'm not going anywhere.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Well...as I said...people with issues. It's your time. Best of luck.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I agree...the old car should also be recycled not just sold.

I do participate actively and donate alot. I actually work in the field and make instrumentation that measures global weather changes.

can you make one that measures political weather changes?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
After test driving the new Fit for the second time, I really thought this car would have been a truly ideal candidate for mild to full hybrid technology.

It's small, light, nimble, looks decent, etc etc....

At the very least Honda could have put a start/stop system in this car so as not to waste fuel while sitting around doing nothing.

Given the current issues we face with energy, waste, pollution, etc...even though I really like the new Fit, I simply cannot bring myself to buy one due to these issues (or any regular IC powered vehicle). I know Honda is coming out with the Insight which seems more like a Prius than anything else, why limit the options so much? Cost? I don't buy it.

The sad part is that even though my wife and I don't even have children, we seem to care more about this planet and its future than people who do. I simply can't fathom why.

Any thoughts?

the Fit is scheduled to get a hybrid edition before 2015 but that means considerable change in the body configuration. Thats why the hybrid won't appear until the 2015 model makeover. In the meantime Honda is issuing a smaller than Civic hybrid that is esentially the same size as a fat Fit. And supposedly plug-in recharging which is the only hybrid worth selling. (the Civic HX last sold in 2004 gets 40 mpg, same as real world tests of the Prius or Civic hybrids) That 2004 gets 40 mpg all the time and doesn't need a $3000 battery replacement. That battery replacement chews up all the carbon footprint saved by the battery.
I built a 4 battey 'hybrid' on my 89 Geo back in 1993 and improved mpg from 40 to 56 mpg and it was recharged at night with my battery charger.
It was a bear to operate(no computer controls) but it worked. Its short life was impractical for most people.
And the start-stop system hasn't proven that worthwhile. Besides, you could do it on your own at the ignition switch.

As far as environmental concerns families of children don't have the money or time to spend on green stuff that costs more than the average stuff.
Besides, as an engineer well involved in the 'global warming' version of 'chicken little' I'm not convinced we are heading into heat exhaustion ... yet. Its not that we shouldn't be good stewards of the earth - we should-
but the current 'chicken littles' are taking data over too short a sample period to do anything beyond finding a short-term trend, not exactly a long term threat.
Its like taking your blood pressure twice, one minute apart, and predicting you will die of heart failure or die of body failure. Those two BP's will be different eough that there would be panic if you didn't realize the 3 sigma variation in proper blood pressure. And for environmental conditions we don't have any idea of the 3 sigma range of earth temperature for the last 150,000 years of our latter environmental conditions so 'sampling' the last 50 years doesn't mean much statistically.
If we had any candidates with environmental track records (Obama has none at all) and with technical understanding we might be in better shape. But campaign promises are written on the wind and voting records are cast in concrete so neither party is apt to change anything. As the 'bail-out' has shown, we are plucked by politicians feathering their nests, not ours. Right now 'global warming' is nothing more than a campaign issue without substance. We will probably replace the current feckless President with a new feckless President in either case but especially if Obama is elected. Track record always outweighs campaign rhetoric.

Here's my bet: within a year after the next election gasoline will be $5/gallon. Once OPEC sees they are in control again crude will rise in price and we still won't have a Manhatten project to get more crude under our control nor will we be building nuclear power stations in that same project. We,ve back nowto minimize the supply and demand equatio that leads to lower energy costs. But it goes up from here.

Last, what are you going to do for your transport needs? Ride horses? What is your cost/benefit ratio? A $19k (and up) civic hybrid next spring or a $16k Fit now with small footprint advantage between now and spring?
Or a $26k Prius now? You have to choose.

Last edited by mahout; 10-21-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
can you make one that measures political weather changes?

LOL LOL...

Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't feel like reading this entire thread, so someone may have said this already...

I am a recent college graduate and I've had to participate in a number of economic/environmental-based debates involving affordability vs. environmental responsibility. The apparent reality is that a hybrid is only slightly more efficient than our Honda Fits, which I consider to be very economical and socially responsible vehicles.

From the perspective of a consumer it makes less sense to spend more money for something that is less fun to drive, has less interior space, and has a far higher potential for costly problems in the future in exchange for a negligible fuel savings.

From the perspective of someone who cares about the environment (which I would like to consider myself) The benefits of hybrids are currently limited to meager fuel savings, and being able to tell your friends that you drive a hybrid. So what, you get a little bit better gas milage, you're still using gas. It's like pissing in your own yard, with a hybrid, you pee slower. To really care about the environment one would have to ride a bike, or walk, or invent a machine that turns carbon dioxide into lollipops.

This is not to dissuade hybrid buyers, but between the Fit and a Hybrid i think it's a no brainer. Obviously someone who's driving a Humvee to work everyday might be a little less caring.

In the big picture, every year China increases their nasty gas emissions by 10-20% which is the rough equivalent of a new England or Germany just appearing out of nowhere. So is my decision to buy a car that averages 35mpg vs 42mpg really going to matter? no. Its just marketing.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
In the big picture, every year China increases their nasty gas emissions by 10-20% which is the rough equivalent of a new England or Germany just appearing out of nowhere. So is my decision to buy a car that averages 35mpg vs 42mpg really going to matter? no. Its just marketing.[/quote]

That depends on how much you want to reduce your carbon footprint. Remember, if everyone reduced their transportation carbon footprints to the same as the Fit there would be a crude surplus, thus lower cost of gas, and we'd be doing our stewardship of our planet.
Just because others don't do their part dioesn't mean you shouldn't.
As far as China's contribution, note that most of those emissions increases are occurring because they produce an ever increasing amount of the goods we buy.
Are you voting for politicians who avow to discard NAFTA and CAFTA? No? Then you are contributing mightily to 'global warming' all by yourself.
PS there are no politicians who avow to drop NAFTA and CAFTA. Aviowing to 'cut' subsidities to countries making US products offshore is lipstick and campaign slogans. When you vote vote for track records, not slogans.

Campaign promises are written on the wind, track records are cast in concrete.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Listen up:

If you guys don't stop going for each other's throats in these threads, then temp bans will be handed out to EVERYONE involved.

Drop it, get along or take it somewhere else.