2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why Not A Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM
I think Honda wants to push the Insight sooo bad they don't want any friendly competition, speaking a Fit Hybrid would cost the same as an Insight II. They've also seen how unsuccessful the Civic and Accord Hybrids can be.

IMO once the public takes note of the flag ship Insight, i'd say 3-5 years (next gen very possibly), Honda will do what Toyota does and slap a Hybrid system into more of their cars. By then it will be common knowledge that the Insight is the one of the top dogs (or the top dog according to some opinions ). Cause then ppl will know Honda is a leader in Hybrid technology so they'll feel more comfy buying a non-flashy Hybrid. Thats the way I see it at least, why Toyota is successful in the hybrid market.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by sofa king
did you have to pay the airline extra for all that agenda you packed??
You have an extremely over-active imagination...perhaps you need a hobby? I'm not packing any agenda....and don't be a sh7t stirrer. Either have a conversation or simply don't reply...it's very easy.

What's wrong with some of you people on this forum? Can't you have a debate/conversation with someone who necessarily doesn't out and out agree with YOU?

Is it really that painful for you?

I'm trying to stay on subject and have a debate. Stop spinning.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tastycakes
I think Honda wants to push the Insight sooo bad they don't want any friendly competition, speaking a Fit Hybrid would cost the same as an Insight II. They've also seen how unsuccessful the Civic and Accord Hybrids can be.

IMO once the public takes note of the flag ship Insight, i'd say 3-5 years (next gen very possibly), Honda will do what Toyota does and slap a Hybrid system into more of their cars. By then it will be common knowledge that the Insight is the one of the top dogs (or the top dog according to some opinions ). Cause then ppl will know Honda is a leader in Hybrid technology so they'll feel more comfy buying a non-flashy Hybrid. Thats the way I see it at least, why Toyota is successful in the hybrid market.
Tasycakes:

I agree...I think you hit it on the head.

My point was that it's not beyond Honda to have made the Fit a hybrid too with minimal cost impact. It's a bit disappointing that it's not.

It will be interesting to see how Honda's hybrid progress will be compared to Toyota's. The Prius powertrain is really flawless in terms of a coupled technology. How they will improve on the next gen Prius is going to be interesting.

I do believe that Honda should have tried to have made the up-coming Insight abit different in terms of looks. As it is, the way the Insight and Prius look are essentially different shades of gray.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
i think ppl are saying that you have an agenda when you come on here JUST to debate and critcize everyone about the fit. this is fitfreak.net we come on here because we love our fit's. we don't come on here to critcize about how the fit should be a hybrid.

Last edited by kingofpicklez; 10-20-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm not criticizing the Fit.

I've not complained about the Fit itself...the subject is about it having hybrid capability.

I'm not even sure why people are taking it personally as a criticism. That's a different and personal issue altogether.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
fitfreak.net nuff said

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM
A few random thoughts...

With the gas tank under the front seats to maximize interior/cargo space, there's likely not much room for batteries. I'm guessing the cargo floor would be raised and possibly the space under the rear seats used for battery storage. This would obviously cut into cargo space and likely kill the Magic Seat functionality. Not saying that I agree, but maybe Honda thinks that the space/functionality aspects of the Fit or so key in the historically anti-small-car North American market that it's not worth importing.

An extra couple hundred pounds of batteries might very well blunt some of the lively/sporty/fun feel of the Fit.

While I wish the Fit did have start/stop, I can't complain about its efficiency. We haven't gotten less than 33 mpg in 100% city driving from our first 4 or 5 tanks. Factoring in the overzealous trip computer rating, the current tank is sitting at 38+ mpg with a mix of city & highway. My personal feeling is that once you start pushing 40mpg you're really getting into the law of diminishing returns in terms of improving mileage or CO2 output, especially in relation to the vehicular fleet average, industry, air travel, etc. We considered a Prius but the bump in cost and green-ness didn't outweigh the sacrifice in space, versatility, sportiness, etc. The Fit gets nearly double the city mileage of the wagon it replaced and it'll hold me over until we can get an R1e, iMiEV, etc.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by txmatt
A few random thoughts...

With the gas tank under the front seats to maximize interior/cargo space, there's likely not much room for batteries. I'm guessing the cargo floor would be raised and possibly the space under the rear seats used for battery storage. This would obviously cut into cargo space and likely kill the Magic Seat functionality. Not saying that I agree, but maybe Honda thinks that the space/functionality aspects of the Fit or so key in the historically anti-small-car North American market that it's not worth importing.

An extra couple hundred pounds of batteries might very well blunt some of the lively/sporty/fun feel of the Fit.
Very good points. Which indicates that given current battery technology, there's a minimum size a car needs to be realistically to be accepted as a car per say. Sort of like the early generation of ginormous cell phones that first came out. How long ago were those? Perhaps we can realistically project the downsizing of hybrids based on cell phone and laptop size reductions....don't know.

While I wish the Fit did have start/stop, I can't complain about its efficiency. We haven't gotten less than 33 mpg in 100% city driving from our first 4 or 5 tanks. Factoring in the overzealous trip computer rating, the current tank is sitting at 38+ mpg with a mix of city & highway. My personal feeling is that once you start pushing 40mpg you're really getting into the law of diminishing returns in terms of improving mileage or CO2 output, especially in relation to the vehicular fleet average, industry, air travel, etc. We considered a Prius but the bump in cost and green-ness didn't outweigh the sacrifice in space, versatility, sportiness, etc. The Fit gets nearly double the city mileage of the wagon it replaced and it'll hold me over until we can get an R1e, iMiEV, etc.
Also great points. Let's keep in mind that we are comparing what some would already consider an "outdated" Prius to newer, cleaner IC engines.

Check out this interesting Start/Stop system Mazda is to introduce --- 10-15% increase in fuel consumption just due to this is quite impressive.

Mazda introduces clever start-stop system with direct injection - Autoblog

As well as VW's idea:

Next-generation VW Golf to get start-stop system

Regarding your trip computer rating...is it over or underestimating?

Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Climatologist
Regarding your trip computer rating...is it over or underestimating?
It overestimates mileage. Most people seem to agree that 10% seems to be about right. Mine currently reads 42.8 which, if I refilled and did the calculation by hand, is most likely in the 38 range. Would be nice but not holding my breath for a dealer/software fix. OBDII readers like the ScanGauge allow a correction factor to be entered which is nice.

While I would like the trip computer to be dead on, it's easy to do the -10% in my head.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
There is no point in debating someone that isn't interested in listening and only wants to convert others to their POV. You're the one spinning...

Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm spinning? LOL...okay...

It's clear you can't hold a conversation. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Just to play the other side, one could also argue that global warming is a scam...

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
You have an extremely over-active imagination...perhaps you need a hobby? I'm not packing any agenda....and don't be a sh7t stirrer. Either have a conversation or simply don't reply...it's very easy.

What's wrong with some of you people on this forum? Can't you have a debate/conversation with someone who necessarily doesn't out and out agree with YOU?

Is it really that painful for you?

00000000000 k?

whats exactly to debate? why the fit isnt offered in hybrid? are we supposed to defend the fact that its not offered in hybrid? i dont get your 'debate'?

even if we were to say why it isnt offered we dont have much to back it up besides opinions.

here goes my opinion. ready? again, i have no facts because i dont work for Honda so this wont be much of a debate.

i feel like offering the Fit would be stupid because they already have the Civic Hybrid, which is a mere 3k more than what i bought my Fit for. (after taxes)
i feel like Honda is not out to make cars that compete w/ one another. ie 2 hybrids. yet.
i feel like the wouldnt come out w/ a hybrid in that class until someone else does it, then theyll just do it better. as they usually do.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 PM
00000000000 k?

whats exactly to debate? why the fit isnt offered in hybrid? are we supposed to defend the fact that its not offered in hybrid? i dont get your 'debate'?

even if we were to say why it isnt offered we dont have much to back it up besides opinions.

here goes my opinion. ready? again, i have no facts because i dont work for Honda so this wont be much of a debate.

i feel like offering the Fit would be stupid because they already have the Civic Hybrid, which is a mere 3k more than what i bought my Fit for. (after taxes)
i feel like Honda is not out to make cars that compete w/ one another. ie 2 hybrids. yet.
i feel like the wouldnt come out w/ a hybrid in that class until someone else does it, then theyll just do it better. as they usually do.
LOL..OK...go off and play. You're right....it's not a debate.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
@Climatologist, are you a Fit owner?

If not then what do you drive?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by ProMed
Just to play the other side, one could also argue that global warming is a scam...
There's no doubt that global warming/climate change/whatever you want call it, does occur...even as a natural phenomenon and due to many natural events.

The real question should be why is the current rise in CO2 and temperature rise so much faster than previously found and projected? We're talking 1000's of times faster in magnitude.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
@Climatologist, are you a Fit owner?

If not then what do you drive?

I made it clear I'm not a Fit owner at the beginning of my post. I drive a 2001 Ford Focus. I would consider a Fit perhaps.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
perhaps you should go on a Ferrari forum & ask them why theres no Ferrari Hybrid.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
I made it clear I'm not a Fit owner at the beginning of my post. I drive a 2001 Ford Focus. I would consider a Fit perhaps.
Oh. I feel bad for you.

You think that thing is good for our environment?

Keeping a car for only 7 or 8 years can't be good either.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
perhaps you should go on a Ferrari forum & ask them why theres no Ferrari Hybrid.
Wow...the stupidity gets better.

Quick Reply: Why Not A Hybrid?