2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Got locking gas cap...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Got locking gas cap...now what?

I went to a Honda dealeship and purchased the Honda Element locking gas cap which I've read fits perfectly on the Fit. It does since they installed it for me (free...HELLO) right there. Anyhow, the tether from the stock cap doesn't fit and the new cap doesn't fit in the slot on the fuel door. So when I remove the locking cap to gas up, where do I put it? Just wanted input from others with this type of cap. Don't want to put it on the roof but I can't think of another option...

Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 PM
sucks!

I agree don't put it on the roof. It would have been nice if Honda would included a tether that worked but, OH well. Find a clean place to put it like on top of the gas pump. Maybe some fitfreak has fabricated a tether which would be nice. I'm sorry but I've been exactly in your situation and didn't like my options either. Life's that way sometimes! Don't put it on the roof!!! I hate to sound like a video coaching kids about child molesters but putting ANYTHING on the roof is "bad touching". As far as your paint is concerned almost ALL touching is BAD TOUCHING!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by feddup
I agree don't put it on the roof. It would have been nice if Honda would included a tether that worked but, OH well. Find a clean place to put it like on top of the gas pump. Maybe some fitfreak has fabricated a tether which would be nice. I'm sorry but I've been exactly in your situation and didn't like my options either. Life's that way sometimes! Don't put it on the roof!!! I hate to sound like a video coaching kids about child molesters but putting ANYTHING on the roof is "bad touching". As far as your paint is concerned almost ALL touching is BAD TOUCHING!

Yeah, I agree. In the end I wouldn't have been able to do it either. On the gas pump sounds like a good option. I'll maybe find a different option when I actually try gasing up.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
On top of the gas pump was my thought, though here's another one...

If there's a way to remove the plastic cap holder on the fuel door and exchange it with the Element one. Is it plastic? I'm not by my car right now, lol. If it's metal is there any way to bend the holder to fit?

Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 PM

I didn't realize till after I posted that the thread starter had an 09 so perhaps it's different. I don't think modifying the door, it's not plastic was an option. I'm not fond of Honda's handling of this situation. A locking gas door would have been nice. By the way nothing will stop an intruder but I want to know if my tank has been sugared or whatever.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Would using a long plastic zip tie around the new cap and through the teather work??? Thunder

Old 10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
hole?

Originally Posted by BLACKTHUNDER
Would using a long plastic zip tie around the new cap and through the teather work??? Thunder
I don't think the locking cap has a hole in it for a tether. I could be wrong.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Could we see a picture of the new locking cap? It might give us ideas.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Virtual
X2 pictures would be great... both of them side by side and a picture of the Fuel dood where it connects.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:31 PM
CBX
Keep your gas-cap key in the same ring as your Fit key, leave the key in the cap while fueling, and there's no way you can drive off without it. Set it on the pump.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
On top of the gas pump was my thought, though here's another one...

If there's a way to remove the plastic cap holder on the fuel door and exchange it with the Element one. Is it plastic? I'm not by my car right now, lol. If it's metal is there any way to bend the holder to fit?
Just fueled up this morning and very happy to report that the locking gas cap wasn't nearly as much of a hassle as I'd expected! It's no biggy....just put the big key in (same size as ignition key), turn to unlock, then turn the cap to remove. Put it on top of the gas pump as suggested which is ideal! Not sure how that will work out in winter with all the snow, but I'll think of something. Anyhow, the cap holder in our fuel door is metal so there is no switching it out and I can't see "bending it". Kind of a bumber since I thought that was one of the better features of the entire car!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by feddup
I don't think the locking cap has a hole in it for a tether. I could be wrong.
Nope, you're right. There's no way I can see (or the Honda mechanic who installed it for me...free so don't flip out folks!) that the tether can fit onto the locking gas cap.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Will post in a bit when the sun actually comes out. Pretty overcast/dark here right now...

Old 10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by CBX
Keep your gas-cap key in the same ring as your Fit key, leave the key in the cap while fueling, and there's no way you can drive off without it. Set it on the pump.
I have a separate wallet for my gas money so am keeping my key in there. I just put the key in the locking gas cap, unlocked, and left it in there. Did exactly what you said, put it on the pump, then when done, just reinstalled. I wouldn't even call it a hassle at all! Having that big key is very smart since winter is around the corner. I'll be able to use it even with big mitts on so this is a major bonus...

Old 10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
X2 pictures would be great... both of them side by side and a picture of the Fuel dood where it connects.
Darn. Don't have my stock gas cap with me so can just post pics of the locking one and the fuel door....

Old 10-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Darn. Don't have my stock gas cap with me so can just post pics of the locking one and the fuel door....
That will work

Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Anyhow, the cap holder in our fuel door is metal so there is no switching it out and I can't see "bending it". Kind of a bumber since I thought that was one of the better features of the entire car!
You sure? I thought the whole lid was made of plastic. I'll have to go check that.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
That will work
Ok. Sun just starting to get up there so will post in a bit....

Old 10-19-2008, 08:57 AM
You sure? I thought the whole lid was made of plastic. I'll have to go check that.
Pretty sure but the pics (coming...waiting on darn sunlight!) will be the proof....

Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I just went to check the fuel door and I'm quite sure it's molded plastic.

Quick Reply: Got locking gas cap...now what?