2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Got locking gas cap...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Thanks for the suggestion...
I thought I had a solution as to where to put the cap but my CanTire one has very little metal and the inside of the door is diff. than yours. I tried those small round ceramic magnets that you can get at dollar stores.

My door has a plastic liner that looks like it could be used for a locking door with pins and is made of plastic. So there is not enough metal on it or the cap to make the magnet work.

Still trying to see if I can attach the old tether somehow without making the cap leak.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM
After a lifetime of gas cap locks, I've abandoned them for two reasons...
-given a choice of someone siphoning gas or draining it by ice picking the tank or fill tube, I'll gladly part with a little lost fuel
-read someplace that it takes a prodigious amount of sugar to carmelize in the engine

So, don't sweat it; just pray for a return to leaded gas, so if the buggers siphon it, they'll have a little brain damage as a memento.
Moon

Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 PM
safety????

The locking gas cap offers no actual safety as far as your gas tank's integrity. It does let you know something happened and your car's gas might be somehow compromised. A child with a screwdriver could remove Honda's lame "locking gas cap"!!! It's a warning device, Nothing more!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
After a lifetime of gas cap locks, I've abandoned them for two reasons...
-given a choice of someone siphoning gas or draining it by ice picking the tank or fill tube, I'll gladly part with a little lost fuel
-read someplace that it takes a prodigious amount of sugar to carmelize in the engine

So, don't sweat it; just pray for a return to leaded gas, so if the buggers siphon it, they'll have a little brain damage as a memento.
Moon
Interesting counterpoints, and funny too!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 PM
to start off i am not in a good mood today, so if this seems snotty sorry.

1: of course the cap doesn't fit on the gas door, it's for an element, which is also why it doesn't have a tether. but it works and you're dealing with it so who cares.

2: you could leave full pics of your key and all that could happen is that someone could, and i don't know who would bother, get into your gas tank because it isn't the same key as your car. apparently the poster forgot to read that part. you could get the dealer to code the lock to your car though, but not for free.

are you sure they got gas from yuor car, i thought there was an anti roll over device at the end of the filler neck on all cars now so it makes siphoning almost impossible.

thanks for reading, i hope i cheer up soon..... maybe a pufferfit decal.....

Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
to start off i am not in a good mood today, so if this seems snotty sorry.

1: of course the cap doesn't fit on the gas door, it's for an element, which is also why it doesn't have a tether. but it works and you're dealing with it so who cares.

2: you could leave full pics of your key and all that could happen is that someone could, and i don't know who would bother, get into your gas tank because it isn't the same key as your car. apparently the poster forgot to read that part. you could get the dealer to code the lock to your car though, but not for free.

are you sure they got gas from yuor car, i thought there was an anti roll over device at the end of the filler neck on all cars now so it makes siphoning almost impossible.

thanks for reading, i hope i cheer up soon..... maybe a pufferfit decal.....
Hey fellow Canuck! Oh, compared to the 2 other posters I had to deal with here and over on TOV last week (um, one said I didn't have a clue how to spend my money since I "wasted" funds on Ventureshield...this from someone who heavily mods his car, and the other said "Canadians are kind of dumb and girls even dumber") I think I can handle your comments.

You're right, I'm dealing with removing my fuel cap altogether so it's no hassle. Maybe will be once the snow hits, but for now it's just fine. I really admired Honda's forethought at putting that slot in the gas door so enjoyed using it, hence "pouting" over not being able to use it now. I'm over it now...

I had a picture up showing my ignition key vs. the locking gas cap key, hence the "warning" from Virtual. Again, odds of someone making up a copy and actually locating my car, fairly slim.

There were 3 pieces of evidence which together PROVE without a doubt that gas was stolen out of my Fit. Despite having gased up 4 days prior and not touching the fuel cap since then, my "check fuel cap" message was up. When I checked, I saw a drip of gas coming from my fuel filler slot. Lastly, when I calculated my fuel economy, it was 10 US MPG WORSE than usual. No other way to explain all of those factors other than gas was somehow siphoned out.

See, YOU get the Pufferfit decal! Whenever I see a 1st generation Honda Fit with the "blue dot" emblem, I smile. It's just so cute and a nice touch of detail (um, getting mine this Friday). Same goes with the Pufferfit decal. It adds a little touch of whimsy to the car which I think matches it's funky personality. But of course, that's just me (and I AM a girl after all). Here's something to put a smile on your face (hopefully):

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member

See, YOU get the Pufferfit decal! Whenever I see a 1st generation Honda Fit with the "blue dot" emblem, I smile. It's just so cute and a nice touch of detail (um, getting mine this Friday). Same goes with the Pufferfit decal. It adds a little touch of whimsy to the car which I think matches it's funky personality. But of course, that's just me (and I AM a girl after all). Here's something to put a smile on your face (hopefully):

+rep haha

Old 10-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by BlueCell
+rep haha
Yeah, it's all "CrystalFiveMT's" doing. He's actually going to get those produced, hopefully very soon. He's away on holidays right now but next week he should have actual decals in hand. I am SO "Pufferfitting" my car, especially the gas door!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
FCG, where DO you park? Not doubting that someone messed with your ride, but when it comes to diminishing returns, stealing gas out of a Fit makes only slightly more sense than stealing it out of a lawnmower...
If you are going to chance a mouthful of gas, starting a siphon out of something with a BIG tank is a better plan...If all they got was enough to lower your mileage a little, then you understand why 'being a thief' or 'working at NASA' aren't the career options for these boneheads.
Anyway, think about what I said; the risks with a dofus ramming an icepick thru' some part of the fuel system is much greater than just letting 'em steal a little gas.
I don't like folks fooling with my stuff, but even here in the wild west USofA, we can't shoot 'em for misdemeanor car messing.
Can't get Sergeant Preston to keep an eye on yer Honda?

Moon

Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
I had someone break into my truck once ($800 damage) for a cheapo portable cd player and my change, and then the prick seperated the pennies out and left them on my seat. so the idea of someone taking very little does not surpise me, it is just another action from another pathetic member of our society.

btw the pufferfit helped some

Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
[quote=halfmoonclip;469016]FCG, where DO you park? Not doubting that someone messed with your ride, but when it comes to diminishing returns, stealing gas out of a Fit makes only slightly more sense than stealing it out of a lawnmower...
If you are going to chance a mouthful of gas, starting a siphon out of something with a BIG tank is a better plan...If all they got was enough to lower your mileage a little, then you understand why 'being a thief' or 'working at NASA' aren't the career options for these boneheads.
Anyway, think about what I said; the risks with a dofus ramming an icepick thru' some part of the fuel system is much greater than just letting 'em steal a little gas.
I don't like folks fooling with my stuff, but even here in the wild west USofA, we can't shoot 'em for misdemeanor car messing.
Can't get Sergeant Preston to keep an eye on yer Honda?

Oh I agree, stealing gas out of any subcompact, let alone the FIT (with the way it is designed with gas tank all the way to the front of the car) is totally idiotic. I park outside, right beside my house (on my property) where there is a spot between myself and my neighbour (with fence separating us). My car is right below my bedroom window and I'm a light sleeper, so any "ramming" would NOT go undetected. Apparently, not the brightest of thieves.

The locking gas cap is more for my peace of mind. I do get that they wouldn't be able to steal large amounts of my gas or put enough "crap" in my tank to potentially permanently damage the engine, but just knowing that I went the extra step to install the locking gas cap is a bit comforting. No guarantees since I do have to park outside, but anything is better than nothing, in my mind! Oh and I live in a small town of about 4000 people, FYI....

Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
I had someone break into my truck once ($800 damage) for a cheapo portable cd player and my change, and then the prick seperated the pennies out and left them on my seat. so the idea of someone taking very little does not surpise me, it is just another action from another pathetic member of our society.

btw the pufferfit helped some
Glad to be of assistance!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 PM
My friends own an RV store and someone jumped their fence and cut the fuel lines on many of the RVs to steal gas...

They are willing to do stupid (and destructive) things for gas these days. *sigh*

Old 10-23-2008, 06:17 PM
there were low life sons of beeches stealing copper from churches here

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
FCG, do what ya' gotta do; be advised that it is probably easier/quieter to put an icepick thru the tank than to get a siphon working (that 'blpfx'!' noise when they get a mouthful is a real giveaway ), but it's a hell of a note when they're stealing gas in Mayberry.
Best, and best of luck,
Moon

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, it's all "CrystalFiveMT's" doing. He's actually going to get those produced, hopefully very soon. He's away on holidays right now but next week he should have actual decals in hand. I am SO "Pufferfitting" my car, especially the gas door!
Actually it's both FitCanada Girl and my doing. So I expect a +1 rep for me!!