2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Got locking gas cap...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:51 AM

Last edited by FitCanada_Girl; 10-19-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Great pics!

I don't think it's a good idea to post such detailed pics of the key cut patterns. Someone could recreate them and possibly find your car. Especially with the details you have posted about where you are and such.

Last edited by Virtual; 10-19-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Virtual
Great pics!

I don't think it's a good idea to post such detailed pics of the key cut patterns. Someone could recreate them and possibly find your car. Especially with the details you have posted about where you are and such.
Thanks! Too trusting. That better?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Thanks! Too trusting. That better?
Yes. That's better.

The internet isn't as anonymous as most people think.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes. That's better.

The internet isn't as anonymous as most people think.
I agree. After last week with gas being stolen out of my freaken SUBCOMPACT car with, apprently, a gas tank it is impossible to siphon gas out of (here to report unhappily that this is NOT true), I'm in a "trust no one" mode. I've always been careful not to post pics of my license plate on my car for this very reason too....

+1 Rep to my fellow Canuck for looking out for me!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
No need to inform me about what happened to you last week. I've read all what you've posted. You trust more than me. I won't even let dealers or garages touch my car unless absolutely needed.

No problem looking out for a fellow Canuck!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm spreading the word whenever I can so other Fit owners realize that their gas tanks aren't as "inaccessible" as they might think! Glad to hear that you are "in the know". I feel much better knowing that my gas tank is alot safer now so I'd recommend a locking gas cap to anyone in a similar situation....

So any brainstorming on another alternative for my gas cap? Pics posted so I'm on standby here....

Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
I think the best would be to try to add a rib to the edge of the locking gas cap so that it is the same as the original. You would then be able to use the lid holder method.

Not exactly sure how that could be done as I don't have one to work with here.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe melting the edge with a solder iron to shape it? Needs to be done by someone used to doing similar things.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Maybe melting the edge with a solder iron to shape it? Needs to be done by someone used to doing similar things.
Oh boy, you don't know who you're dealing with here! For reference, I had a Honda mechanic install my locking gas cap ok (FREE let's not freak out!). I'm a scientist by training/profession but man, I am a total idiot when it comes to DIY jobs. No, I won't be soldering anything. Looks like "on top of the gas pump" is my ideal solution though I am sad to lose that holding spot on the fuel door....

Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I really like that holder. Great design!

I don't know if it's possible but maybe the threaded part of the original cap could be fitted to the locking one.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah I really like that holder. Great design!

I don't know if it's possible but maybe the threaded part of the original cap could be fitted to the locking one.
I've given mini "tours" of my car to several people, demonstrate the magic seats, then say "now let's move on to my favorite part of this car!" Yes, the gas cap holder. I just think it shows an incredible attention to detail on Honda's part. My sister's 10 year old Odyssey has this same holder! Incredible.

Well, I'm sure someone else with this same locking gas cap will figure out a modification to get it to fit onto the holder. I'll just sit back and enjoy the comfort of knowing my car is now safe...well, unless someone truly desperate comes along with a drill or something! By then I figure they'll have moved on to a truck that can hold more than 40 L of gas. Talk about the ultimate in stupidity hey? Stealing gas from a tiny tank whose positioning made the job undoubtedly extremely difficult...

Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
By then I figure they'll have moved on to a truck that can hold more than 40 L of gas.
Is that imperial liters?

Couldn't resist.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Is that imperial liters?

Couldn't resist.
Even scientists have brain freezes every now and again...sheeshh...

Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats on the gas cap. Looks great. I'm seriously thinking about investing in one.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Congrats on the gas cap. Looks great. I'm seriously thinking about investing in one.

I really recommend it after my experience last week! Even before then I was a bit wary of the fuel tank being so easily accessible to anyone. Now-a-days, you just never know so having the locking cap is a huge relief....

Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Did they siphon out of the Fit or another subcompact of yours?

Old 10-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by KatzeChicX
Did they siphon out of the Fit or another subcompact of yours?
They stole gas out of my '09 Fit Sport. Not sure exactly HOW with the position of the fuel tank, but they did as evidenced by my 10 MPG lower fuel mileage, "check fuel cap" warning message, and drop of fuel on my car.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Oh boy, you don't know who you're dealing with here! For reference, I had a Honda mechanic install my locking gas cap ok (FREE let's not freak out!). I'm a scientist by training/profession but man, I am a total idiot when it comes to DIY jobs. No, I won't be soldering anything. Looks like "on top of the gas pump" is my ideal solution though I am sad to lose that holding spot on the fuel door....
You could put your gas cap in the fuel pump nozzle. Some nozzles are broken and you cant put the auto pump lever on. Well you always have your gas cap, put it under the handle. I see people do it all the time at my gas station. And that way, you won't forget your gas cap on top of the gas pump.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by BlueCell
You could put your gas cap in the fuel pump nozzle. Some nozzles are broken and you cant put the auto pump lever on. Well you always have your gas cap, put it under the handle. I see people do it all the time at my gas station. And that way, you won't forget your gas cap on top of the gas pump.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Quick Reply: Got locking gas cap...now what?