2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

To lease or to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 AM
To lease or to buy?

Hi, Im in the market for a new car.. hopefully an 09 black fit sport mt! I have been lurking for awhile now and have always wanted a honda. I'm in a tough spot.. I need a car asap, I just have no clue on what would be best.... to lease or to buy?! Could anyone here help a newb make a decision! I would like to here what your experiences are buying and leasing! Thanks for the help guys!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
If you need a car ASAP, I'd recommend asking the dealer if they have any Fits in stock. I test drove a Fit at the end of September here in Winnipeg and decided to lease one (DX/Base model - AT). I wasn't told I'd be waiting for it to arrive from Japan. I was told later it would arrive Oct. 3-8 but it still hasn't arrived. Hopefully it comes in soon.

As for leasing or buying, it's up to you. I can't afford buying one. The payments would be like $180 more per month for the base model. For that much I could lease a Sport model! So for me, it was all about price. If you're rich, buy it. If you're poor like me, you lease!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by superslurpee
If you need a car ASAP, I'd recommend asking the dealer if they have any Fits in stock. I test drove a Fit at the end of September here in Winnipeg and decided to lease one (DX/Base model - AT). I wasn't told I'd be waiting for it to arrive from Japan. I was told later it would arrive Oct. 3-8 but it still hasn't arrived. Hopefully it comes in soon.

As for leasing or buying, it's up to you. I can't afford buying one. The payments would be like $180 more per month for the base model. For that much I could lease a Sport model! So for me, it was all about price. If you're rich, buy it. If you're poor like me, you lease!

I do okay for myself but I do like the sound of low payments... but at the end of the lease Im left with nothing? Do I have to give another down payment toward another lease vehicle?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Supertramp
I do okay for myself but I do like the sound of low payments... but at the end of the lease Im left with nothing? Do I have to give another down payment toward another lease vehicle?
At the end of the lease you end up with exactly zero (or a bill, if there is excess wear & tear) - plus you have to put down another down payment for another lease. If you qualify for zero down, they'll gladly lump the down payment part into your lease which just means they're collecting more interest from you.

Leasing at this time is really really bad... you can't get good lease deals like 2 years ago and there's no specials going around. Used after lease cars are hard to sell as are new ones so the cost of leasing has gone up.

I leased my last car because it was a smoking hot deal at that time... the V6 Accord was cheaper to lease than the I4. Monthly payments and down payment and math worked out so I just went for it. This time around there are no specials, so the Fit got bought instead... plus I'm intending to keep.

If you aren't planning on owning the car for a few years, then maybe check out the leasing numbers and see if they work and make sense to you.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
If you can buy it then do so.

Leasing is not a good choice for most people. The dealers really get the most out of the deal.

Hondas are well known to be reliable and long lasting. Make that fact work to your advantage not theirs. Resale values stay high too.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Retired Moderator
You might be better off buying the Fit if you want to get some money back when you sell it....No..??

Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Leasing is a bad deal for almost every individual. It make sense when you are leasing under a business name where you can write off the lease payment, but for most average folks, it is actually more expensive in the long run to lease (although the low monthly payments look nice initially) compared to costs associated with buying. From Consumer Reports:

The cold, hard facts

We won't keep you in suspense: The Money Lab determined that buying a car—in this case, the best-selling 2008 Honda Accord EX, at $24,495—would cost $4,597 less over five years than closed-end leasing for exactly the same model.

We compared the two most common arrangements: a three-year lease and a five-year loan, and analyzed total costs after each year over five years. Since the lease is up after only three, we assumed that the lessor took out a new lease-same terms, same vehicle, only newer-in the fourth year. Specifically, we took Honda's February 2008 online lease offer of 36 monthly payments of $239 and put it up against a typical five-year loan at 6.99 percent, which is the rate a buyer with good credit could expect to get. For comparison, we also did the same exercise with a more expensive model, the 2008 Lexus ES 350, which sells for $38,405 and can be leased for $429 a month.

If you look merely at the monthly costs, leasing seems like the better deal for both cars. But the advantage changes over time, as the totals in our comparisons show. Further, our calculations don't include the equity building in the financed car (but do show the impact of depreciation for both).

Also consider that after three years, the financing buyer will still have a car to drive, while the lessor must return it and start all over. He or she will have to lease another car and fork over a new set of up-front payments or else finance a car, buy one for cash, or bone up on the local bus routes. Our test assumes the lessee enters into a new lease agreement.

And don't forget the end-of-lease costs

Our calculations don't take into account end-of-lease costs. For example, excess mileage charges (15 cents per mile in the case of the Accord) can quickly add up. Data from CNW show that 35 percent of leases with an annual 12,000-mile limit are exceeded, with the average being 2,500 miles. Wear-and-tear assessments averaged $1,700 in 2006. (Not surprisingly, wear-and-tear charges might sometimes be overlooked by a dealership if you lease another car.) CNW also found that excess mileage and excess wear charges account for the bulk of lease dissatisfaction. What's more, a leased car might be more expensive to insure.

Finally, consider that the Federal Reserve cut short-term interest rates 1.25 percent in January 2008 alone. The lower rates are already working their way into the auto-loan market, where rates were trending down in early February after spiking at the start of the year. Consequently, the difference between the monthly payment of a leased car and a financed one should narrow considerably.
ConsumerReports.org - Auto lease or buy?

Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by TheSaint
Leasing is a bad deal for almost every individual. It make sense when you are leasing under a business name where you can write off the lease payment, but for most average folks, it is actually more expensive in the long run to lease (although the low monthly payments look nice initially) compared to costs associated with buying. From Consumer Reports:

ConsumerReports.org - Auto lease or buy?
Wow! After reading that why would anyone ever want to lease!? Looks like I'll be looking into buying! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Old 10-19-2008, 03:38 AM
CBX
Bloody Well Right!