2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hitch receiver at etrailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
I used a couple of 5 gallon plastic buckets to hold the hitch up in the air as I bolted up each side. This was an easy technique for one-man installation since I already had the buckets. If you don't have buckets laying around, you wouldn't be likely to think of this as a solution.

We use scissors jacks to clamp it up in place. Scissors jacks are plentiful and afford good height adjustment. cheers.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dzager
I emailed Hidden Hitch and low and behold they emailed back that they now have Hitch #60218 for the 2009 Honda Fit. I called etrailer and ordered one - should be here in about a week.

I also ordered the electric kit #118420 that is supposed to be plug and play for the 2007 to 2009 Honda Fit.

Free shipping as it all is over $150 and that is their special right now.

Also got my Monroe air shocks today MA793 ($50 at Amazon and free shipping). They measure out to be correct. I'll try to get these on Thursday night - or this weekend.

Dave

When you install a hitch on a Fit you need to replace the rear shocks with AirLifts, Monroe MA811's for 08's, not sure about 09's. Could be 811;'s or 793's but before using compare extended and compressed lengths AND the EYEBOLT hole at the bottom. 793's ARE 12 MM AND 811'S ARE 10 MM. Width is better for the 793's at 1.375 vs 1.4375" which needs shim washers. Which does your 09 Fit take? (mY 08 IS 10 MM AND THE 09 APPEARS TO BE THE SAME.) If it's 10 mm you will need sleeves or welded reductions.
iF THE EXTENDED LENGTH IS GREATER THAN THE ORIGINAL YOU RISK THE SPRINGS FALLING OUT - A SERIOUS PROBLEM. And if the collarsed length is shorter you risk having the shock bottom out, destroying the valving, among other things..
bUT THE AIRLIFTS ARE REALLY NEEDED.
Good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 01-10-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone else switch their shocks?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by triton.
Search "Monroe Air Shocks" = 45 threads

Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Has anybody run the trailer wiring out of the car instead of throwing it in the trunk? I'm looking for a path to route the wiring out so I can put it in one of those little black plastic boxes on the hitch.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jamypac
Has anybody run the trailer wiring out of the car instead of throwing it in the trunk? I'm looking for a path to route the wiring out so I can put it in one of those little black plastic boxes on the hitch.
Will you use the wiring often enough to justify drilling a hole/holes through the body for the wires? With the wires in a plastic box on the hitch, they sure won't believe you when you say "I only use the hitch for my bike rack" if you need warranty service on tranny or brake problems (on which they will try to deny coverage due to trailer use).

Just some friendly "think ahead" advice.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
anyone else upgrade their shocks?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member

Based on the posts in the suspension and braking section, a lot. Check the photos. Time about late summer to fall 2008.

Mine have been fabulous hauling heavy, trialering a little, or laps around the race track. (yes, I know its time-consuming but our set up Fit handles so well its just pure fun)

Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Mine have been fabulous hauling heavy, trialering a little, or laps around the race track. (yes, I know its time-consuming but our set up Fit handles so well its just pure fun)
You changed your shocks on the 2009 GE Fit?

Here's a thread that might help some people out. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...sted-uses.html

Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
You changed your shocks on the 2009 GE Fit?

Here's a thread that might help some people out. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...sted-uses.html

No, haven't changed a 2009. There is a debate on whether the shocks are 793's instead of the 811's on 08's (which mine is) but we changed only 07 and 08's so far.
Haven't looked at shocks on an 09 but do know the lower bushing bolt is 10 mm and the bushing bores on 793's are 12 mm. The bushing can be changed or a sleeve used but until I know the extended and compressed lengths are compatible I'll stick with the 811's. The parts manual appears to have the same upper stem and fixture though there is a difference in the drawing.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I should clarify, are people changing their shocks to use the hitch reciever? Is it needed if your just using it to carry 2 bikes and bike hitch? Proably 120 pounds max.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned
I guess I should clarify, are people changing their shocks to use the hitch reciever? Is it needed if your just using it to carry 2 bikes and bike hitch? Proably 120 pounds max.
No, the air shocks are not needed for just bikes. But mahout will probably argue the point, as he usually does.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
i changed out my shocks.... changed them to skunk2 coilovers haha

Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member

The 120 pounds of a bike rack, not a trailer, is about 12" behind the rear bumper, which makes the load on the axle greater. (like a lever) Perhaps 200 lb equivalent. You may get away without boosting the shocks so try it. If it poses problems on a short test drive you can add the AirLifts.
Just had to argue.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Banned
The 120 pounds of a bike rack, not a trailer, is about 12" behind the rear bumper, which makes the load on the axle greater. (like a lever) Perhaps 200 lb equivalent. You may get away without boosting the shocks so try it. If it poses problems on a short test drive you can add the AirLifts.
Just had to argue.
Good morning- thought you wouldn't be able to resist.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned
Triton:

Your car was built to haul 5 people plus luggage, and it has a payload that is 300 pounds more than the Element that Honda calls a truck. If you are not hauling 300-450 pounds of people in the back seat, the minor weight of a rack and bike(s) inches from the back bumper is not going to make a bit of difference, unless they are there while you run an Auto X event.

However, the air shocks are inexpensive. The Monroe model that fits the GE8 are a little troublesome because of the adaptation required for proper fit. I have not put them on my '09 Sport yet, but intend to do so in the future. The Monroes that I installed on my '07 made a significant improvement in the ride quality and handling (with the Progress RSB). I don't think that you need the air shocks just to haul bikes, but if you decide that you do, you'll probably get a ride quality improvement as a side benefit, along with a big increase in load capacity. I think that the stock ride quality is better in the GE's than it was in the GD's, but I do want the extra load capacity that the air shocks provide.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Good morning- thought you wouldn't be able to resist.

Absolutely. Safety is not an issue to be sluffed off.
On my Fit, the reason we developeded the AirLift application is because only 200 lb of tools in the trunk made the rear a little twitchy and we decided it was necessary inour mountainous country.

Far too many posters think anything they get away with onve is good for all cases.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned
Absolutely. Safety is not an issue to be sluffed off.
On my Fit, the reason we developeded the AirLift application is because only 200 lb of tools in the trunk made the rear a little twitchy and we decided it was necessary inour mountainous country.

Far too many posters think anything they get away with onve is good for all cases.

Along those lines, why not wade in on this thread?
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...es-08-fit.html

Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
[/b]

Along those lines, why not wade in on this thread?
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...es-08-fit.html

'Somebody' beat me to it with the proper language. There are few things as terrifying as ignorance in action.
I wonder if the pistons were pushed back into the caliper on both sides and flooded the reservoir. Maybe thats what they meant by bleeding the brakes/reservoir. If there was no room for the released fluid to go ...
Stiff brakes can mean 2 things: the brakes apply very nicely with little free play or you have to push reaklly hard to get them to work. Do you think they know the diiference?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned
'Somebody' beat me to it with the proper language. There are few things as terrifying as ignorance in action.
I wonder if the pistons were pushed back into the caliper on both sides and flooded the reservoir. Maybe thats what they meant by bleeding the brakes/reservoir. If there was no room for the released fluid to go ...
Stiff brakes can mean 2 things: the brakes apply very nicely with little free play or you have to push reaklly hard to get them to work. Do you think they know the diiference?
No indeed, and I don't want to come between family members, but I keep repeating that a pro would not leave her in this position of asking where do you bleed the brakes "cuz we can't find it under the hood". No shit. Somebody is exaggerating his training and experience to impress, and endanger, his niece. I'm very happy he's in Texas and poses no risk to me.

The pistons were probably compressed far enough to overflow the reservoir, then allowed to move to the at rest position without "make up" brake fluid connected to the reservoir. Our reservoirs are small and I am betting that air went into the system before the "mechanic" thought to replace the lost fluid. I was entirely sincere in my "good luck" wish.

Sorry mods for diverting this thread with irrelevant references to another thread.

Last edited by manxman; 01-19-2009 at 04:01 PM.