2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Reasons for picking the Base over Sport... am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009 | 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by novascroller
not crazy at all. i plan to do the same thing for the following reasons.

a). cheaper
b). smoother ride
c). less likely to snowplow w/o the spoiler
d). the extra body kits will likely rub and cause rust
e). no need for locking lugnuts on steelies.

the keyless entry and cruise can be added later. i just care about getting a/c more than anything.

lol.

Old 08-06-2009 | 10:20 PM
Banned
I just got a MT base over the sport mainly to stay as cheap possible but a few things I like about the base are.

1. Same engine+lighter=faster and more efficient
2. Charcoal headlight bezels!
3. Love those splash guards.
4. To me the ground effects make the car look extra tall but it's a funny looking car any way you go.
5. Unique. Everybody gets the sport.

The Sport is a great value though and I thought about it. Kind of wanted the rear sway as that's the only real performance mod on a sport unless you consider 185 width all season tires sporty.

I've already got some alloy 15 inch wheels on the way. Was going to replace the tires but after researching found that the stock 15 inch tires are super light so I'll go ahead and use them.

Couple things that surprised me about the base was how nice the interior color is and the standard wheel has a real nice texture and feel to it.

It all comes down to personal preference but I'm happy with my base model.

Old 08-07-2009 | 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
lol.
you don't get much snow in NC do you?

Old 08-07-2009 | 10:52 AM
I know the OP decided to go with a Sport, but another thing that nobody has commented on: if you're going to add the accessories anyway, I'd still bet the resale will be higher on the Sport. There are a lot of people that do value the added things that the Sport comes with, and will pay more for it 3-4-5-whatever years down the road if you resell the vehicle.

Old 12-02-2011 | 04:07 AM
I know this has been a while but I'll post this anyway. It might be helpful to someone that's deciding between Sport and Base.

I recently just got a Base, and I don't regret it. I went to the dealership, and of course the shady salesman convince me to get the Sport one. I went home and did all the research to do the Base to Sport conversion (without wheels), and turns out it will only cost you $1200 with all the parts and labor needed (might vary depending on the labor).
Considering that the difference between Base and Sport is around $3000, I think it really is worth it. The new 2011 Fit Base comes with keyless, painted mirror cap, and USB connection. Now, you can use the extra $1800 to get coilovers and wheels!

So with no doubt, I would say the base FTW.

Hope it helps.

-ozoned

Old 12-02-2011 | 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ozoned
Considering that the difference between Base and Sport is around $3000, I think it really is worth it. The new 2011 Fit Base comes with keyless, painted mirror cap, and USB connection. Now, you can use the extra $1800 to get coilovers and wheels!
You must be comparing to a Sport with Navigation. Regular Sport MSRP is only $1,700 more than a Base.

_

Old 12-04-2011 | 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ozoned
I know this has been a while but I'll post this anyway. It might be helpful to someone that's deciding between Sport and Base.

I recently just got a Base, and I don't regret it. I went to the dealership, and of course the shady salesman convince me to get the Sport one. I went home and did all the research to do the Base to Sport conversion (without wheels), and turns out it will only cost you $1200 with all the parts and labor needed (might vary depending on the labor).

So with no doubt, I would say the base FTW.

Hope it helps.

-ozoned

I think you're nuts. First the Sport is only $1500-1800 more than the base and you really have to include the difference in wheels as well. And despite some claimds the aftermarket cruise control isn't as good. Worzse, retail used car sales value isn't nearly as good.

Old 12-04-2011 | 08:14 PM
picked base because cheap got it for like 14.6k brand new 2011 also it was the only m/t and the sport at the time and area were going around 19k+

Old 12-06-2011 | 09:43 PM
This is an old thread. Sports are still more popular, but the Base has cruise control and VSC standard. Are fog lights and the stiffer suspension really worth all that much extra?

Old 12-07-2011 | 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by tcdonaghey
This is an old thread. Sports are still more popular, but the Base has cruise control and VSC standard. Are fog lights and the stiffer suspension really worth all that much extra?
Plus the 2012 Base has USB audio and security alarm as standard now, too.

Old 12-07-2011 | 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tcdonaghey
No they are not. But add in all the extras, i.e. better stereo, leather steering wheel, floor mats, wider tires, 16" alloy rims, rear spoiler, front and side body effects and it is worth even more than the extra cost.

_

Old 12-07-2011 | 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
If you like the plastic goop hung on the outside. All it does is increase weight and drag. It's interesting they don't offer it in Europe (where they do offer an assortment of tasty options). Us USDMrs are so gauche.

Don't forget maplights (but there's an easy fix for $45 to add them).

Old 12-07-2011 | 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
The only things the Sport has that I wish my Base had are the wheels.

Old 12-07-2011 | 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
I chose the base (2011) because I didn't care about any of the additional stuff that comes on the Sport; not one, including the wheels. It made the car cheaper and my bike rack doesn't get caught up on the rear spoiler thing.

Old 12-07-2011 | 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
No they are not. But add in all the extras, i.e. better stereo, leather steering wheel, floor mats, wider tires, 16" alloy rims, rear spoiler, front and side body effects and it is worth even more than the extra cost.

_
Better stereo? The sport gets two tweeters. You really consider that better stereo?

You can get the leather wrap from honda and DIY for $25 if I remember correctly.

Floor mats are $85 also from honda.

Tires and rims there isn't much to argue there. Sport wins that one.

Rear spolier is purely cosmetic as already discussed on this forum.

Front bumper is also purely cosmetic as the base can be fitted with fog lights too.

Side skirts are also cosmetic but something I wish I had.

For what little it gives, the sport wasn't worth it for me, And they didn't have it in a Manual transmission so it was out in my book. If I could go back, I might get the sport just for the VSA because I have a 2010 and the base didn't come with it. But that would probably be the only reason for me to get it.

Old 12-07-2011 | 05:31 PM
I had a Base, and regretted it from the 1st day. The minor additional cost of the Sport is well worth it. I traded up the next year (2010). Much better handling, cruise, fogs, spoiler, ipod, wheels, tires...just soooo much better.

Old 12-10-2011 | 12:23 AM
I got the base because I preferred the "plainer" look & smoother ride. Upgraded wheels & tires (stuck w 15s) , added a aftermarket rear sway & the handling is great w/o being harsh. Total out of pocket costs for the upgrades as about $600 after selling OEM wheels & tires. I have no regrets. Perhaps will add interior sport syle interiof dome light later.

Old 12-10-2011 | 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danlisahall@comcast.net
I got the base because I preferred the "plainer" look & smoother ride. Upgraded wheels & tires (stuck w 15s) , added a aftermarket rear sway & the handling is great w/o being harsh. Total out of pocket costs for the upgrades as about $600 after selling OEM wheels & tires. I have no regrets. Perhaps will add interior sport syle interiof dome light later.
I'm very happy with my Base! What kind of tires and wheels did you get? And which sway bar? Is the sway bar a fairly easy DIY?

Old 12-10-2011 | 03:15 PM
Wheels are MB 7s, silver (preferred gloss black but they were not available at that time), tires Hankook Optimo 727 P185/60R-15 84T (highest rated all season by Consumer Reports & Tire Rack). RSB by Progress. Sway bar very easy even for a dyslexic like me. Progress has a good description of the install on line. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-10-2011 | 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Red face

Is it obvious where the sway bar goes? Did you need to get new bolts (I read that somewhere)? I'm wondering if it affects warranty in any way?
Did the TPMS or the odometer have to be reconfigured?

Sorry for all these questions!

And one more----what exactly does a sway bar do?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Reasons for picking the Base over Sport... am I crazy?