2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Reasons for picking the Base over Sport... am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by classact2575
No, but I'm not 100% sure the Sport has one, either. (Looked around Honda's site and couldn't find anything that said it did or didn't.)

Also... not like this is going to affect my decision, but just did an insurance quote through my carrier... the Fit Sport actually has a higher premium than the Base! You'd think the addition of a security system would make it lower.
The USDM Sports do have a driver's side armrest. Not a great one, but there is one.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Went to my local Honda dealer yesterday, and found out that a Base AT in the color I want will be in in a few weeks... although there is a Sport AT on the lot in the same color that I could also buy. (I'm in no rush, so that's not going to affect my decision! )

The salesman looked at me like I had three heads when I told him I preferred to get a Base with alloys rather than go for the Sport (which obviously has them standard). He said I might as well get the Sport if I want alloys.

The pluses on the Sport are hard to ignore: fog lights, cruise control (which I probably wouldn't use much in the stop & go traffic in DC!), security system, remote entry... otherwise I couldn't care less about the USB thingie (I don't have an iPod and don't plan on getting one ), paddle shifters, spoilers, fancy headlights, underbody kit, chrome exhaust, etc.

Anyway... want to hear from the masses on whether I'm just being too picky regarding "my" cons of the Sport and deciding to get the Base and possibly miss out. So -- any of you with the Base, do you wish you had gotten the Sport?

I had the same decision; took about 2 milliseconds to decide on the Sport, not the most because of the alloys. The salesman is right. Get the Sport if you want alloys. And I don't have all those iPod thingies either. Nor cell phone either But I do have 9 computers and bunches of accessory stuff.

Last edited by mahout; 10-16-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I'll post pics when I pick it up (and before I start to make it look dorky by adding seat covers and a parking sticker). (Seat covers are somewhat necessary b/c I ride horses, and it's easier to wash the dirt & hair off in the machine instead of scrubbing the upholstery. )
Hey what kind of horses do you ride? Do you own your own? and do you show? Yes, that horse hair is a bear especially in the spring when the winter hair coat starts coming out. I use to ride and show my horse San Ana Bar an AQHA mare in local and state shows. I loved being around horses, they are so wonderful. I had to have my horse Saint put down at the age of 28. We got her when she was 8 years old and had been neglected and abused by her owners. She was a wonderful horse who was like part of our family.

Cat :x

Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
I would consider a base if i was just buying the fit to mod it out. But it sounds like u are not doing that or if money is tight get the base. But it sounds like to me that the base might better suit u. I like the sport for the body kit and wheels,steering wheel,better radio, the interior, cruise control my last car had none i love it now, alarm, I mean that is just me though i wanted the sport in VBP and that is what i got i am happy with it

Old 10-18-2008, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
How come nobody has mentioned price? You people talk as if you just go to the dealer and choose whatever you want. It must be nice! Some of us have to look at the price. An LX or Sport wasn't even an option for me. I can't justify $180+ more a month just for a sport model. It was either the base model or nothing.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by superslurpee
I can't justify $180+ more a month just for a sport model. It was either the base model or nothing.
The sport is an extra $180 per month on top of the base payment??

Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 AM
How come nobody has mentioned price? You people talk as if you just go to the dealer and choose whatever you want. It must be nice! Some of us have to look at the price. An LX or Sport wasn't even an option for me. I can't justify $180+ more a month just for a sport model. It was either the base model or nothing.
You are missing the point. There is nothing wrong with a base and you will love it. But if the OP was going to add all the Honda accessories that he wanted it would be better to get the sport and take off what he did not want. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a base.

I put a Sony radio with usb in my crv and this is a acc: that I have to have now on any car I buy.

Last edited by BobbyK; 10-18-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
The point of base is for someone who just want a economical transportation from point A to B, cheap and reliable car. Fit is not like Evo RS or 911 GT3 RS where they strip things out to make it lighter for racing. It's just less equipment to save money.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I beg to differ, I am coming from an evo rs and the one thing that sold me was the bare essentials offered in the fit. I know what you mean, it wasn't stripped for performance gain but the base fit, to me, was a potential tuning machine and to buy one with just a radio and power windows only was the best option I could get in a fit. Saving the lbs and the money is why I got the evo rs too.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member

Didn't you mention you were going to add alloy wheels on your own? Soon as you do that the Sport isn't much different.
And if you're gonna pay $180 per month extra for the sport you have funny financing. The difference between 15 and 16.3 financing even for 48 months is about $30 a month.
Having bought several cars that I didn't have any more to spend, otr was just too stingy, getting the right car even is not as deluxe as desireable is worth the so-called loss. Satisfaction always brings it on. good luck and cheers.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I made a mistake when I said ~$180/month. That's actually if I was to buy a base instead of lease it. I'm in Canada so the prices are higher. The difference between leasing a base and leasing a sport was about $75 extra a month. That's still something to consider if you're low on cash or on a tight budget.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Talking Base VS Sport

I just bought a base model Fit. I couldn't see paying for the extras. You get the same power train. For me to get a Sport they would need to offer more HP, not USB, mud flaps etc. I wanted a car just to get me from point A to point B.

Went to my local Honda dealer yesterday, and found out that a Base AT in the color I want will be in in a few weeks... although there is a Sport AT on the lot in the same color that I could also buy. (I'm in no rush, so that's not going to affect my decision! )

The salesman looked at me like I had three heads when I told him I preferred to get a Base with alloys rather than go for the Sport (which obviously has them standard). He said I might as well get the Sport if I want alloys.

One of my main reasons for preferring the Base over Sport is the interior color. Here in the mid-Atlantic, it gets HOT during the summer... and a care with a black interior makes it worse. Plus dirt & stuff shows up more easily. The other reason is that the underbody kit of the Sport is more likely to get scratched (IMO I don't like the look) and I also can't put splash guards.

The pluses on the Sport are hard to ignore: fog lights, cruise control (which I probably wouldn't use much in the stop & go traffic in DC!), security system, remote entry... otherwise I couldn't care less about the USB thingie (I don't have an iPod and don't plan on getting one ), paddle shifters, spoilers, fancy headlights, underbody kit, chrome exhaust, etc.

Anyway... want to hear from the masses on whether I'm just being too picky regarding "my" cons of the Sport and deciding to get the Base and possibly miss out. So -- any of you with the Base, do you wish you had gotten the Sport?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM
yep

Just bought a base over a Sport here, too...The only things that interested me with the sport were Cruise and Keyless. Cruise I can live without, and keyless I can add for under $100. I could care less about the body kit/fogs/wheels/ and two extra tweeters..my main objective was buying something affordable that had great gas mileage and great cargo room for my monstrous drum kit. The base had all of it, the Sport had all of it except for affordability.

In my case, the extras I wanted: cruise, keyless..weren't justified by the $1500 price hike...

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member

One of my main reasons for preferring the Base over Sport is the interior color. Here in the mid-Atlantic, it gets HOT during the summer... and a care with a black interior makes it worse. Plus dirt & stuff shows up more easily. The other reason is that the underbody kit of the Sport is more likely to get scratched (IMO I don't like the look) and I also can't put splash guards.

not crazy at all. i plan to do the same thing for the following reasons.

a). cheaper
b). smoother ride
c). less likely to snowplow w/o the spoiler
d). the extra body kits will likely rub and cause rust
e). no need for locking lugnuts on steelies.

the keyless entry and cruise can be added later. i just care about getting a/c more than anything.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
to the OP
think about some tint for the heat...

Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
We Own Both

My wife got a Base in March. Best choice for her. Keyless is an easy add because the receiver is already in the car. You can buy the transmitter keys and just need to get them cut and programmed (we negotiated for that as part of purchase price). The smoother ride, and lack of gadgets like paddle shifters are all a plus for her. The only big lack is the cruise which she would use occasionally. She did also add a center armrest from Zeta products.

I just bought a Sport using a clunker trade in. Reasons: we both wanted silver (what can I say, we're old farts) and I wanted something different about my Fit; paddle shifters - she won't let me get another manual (needs to drive my car sometimes) and she is worth keeping happy; cruise; firmer ride. The other gadgets, alloys, wings, spoilers don't add up to a net of much value for me. If I didn't have my $4500 government bonus as play money, I would have had a tougher time justifying the extra cost of the Sport. For those curious the clunker was an '88 Astro van so I did good.

One thing to consider Sport versus Base is to look up the cost of replacement tires. The Sport has an oddball size that's pretty pricey. Right now, my local Sears, Wally-mart, even Goodyear Gemini do not carry tires in that size. But maybe future demand will improve that. Also, the Sport does not have an exterior key lock on the hatch or passenger door (Base does) if having some mechanical redundancy matters to you.

As others have said, it's down to personal choice. Both Base and Sport are great choices. And even with the huge deals available on other cars, I still chose another Fit for my clunker replacement.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
i bought the sport ...

here in the Philippines

the price difference is $1200 (USD)

The Added features on the Jazz Sport
1. Bigger engine (1.5L - sport) (1.3L - base)
2. Paddle shifter
3. POWERED Retractrable / Folded side mirror
4. Bigger Rims
5. Body Kits
6. Better Fabrics interior
7. Side Mirror (with blickers)
8. Map Lights

thats why we ended buying a Sport

Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by hanzo
The sport has a lot more to offer than the base. It has rear sway bar, leather wrap steering which feels 100 times better than plastic steering wheel....
Glad someone else mentioned the rear sway bar. I'm surprised to observe that a lotta folks don't even know about this addition.

MY reasons for picking the Sport AT in order of pref:

Aluminum wheels and slightly better tires
Paddle shift mode
Body kit+exhaust tip "finisher" - sorry, that bare pipe is ugly
the addition of the rear sway bar

Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TWGE08
For me one of the main reasons I got the sport was because of the paddle shifters I like having control of the gears when I need it.
thats why i got a 5 speed

Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member

i agree about the interior color. that seems to be your MAIN reason for going for the base.

you could always get a lighter sport color and tint the windows. but then again i dunno what your preferred color was.

but as far as it not showing dirt and stuff as much....hmmm i dunno. black hides lots of things. it may show lint more, but a light colored interior is not the easiest thing to keep up with.

Quick Reply: Reasons for picking the Base over Sport... am I crazy?