2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Reasons for picking the Base over Sport... am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I'm 100% sure the Sport has an armrest. I have one.

If you want the base model, go for it. There is no wrong or right model to choose. It's a matter of personal preference and/or if you have the extra cash. You have the facts before you.

Last edited by robodude; 10-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
My 2 cents here: the base interior's gray is pretty dark already - more like charcoal gray. There will be little difference between this gray and the sport black, and the sport black's fabric is a lot more nicer! I didn't like the base interior at all. one look and it says "cheap".

However the sport black does show a lot of dirt, especially if you have dandruff. But then again, the base gray isn't much lighter, so it's really up to you.

If you don't need cruise, stick w/ the base to save quite a lot of money. You can add remote control later. Security system is a joke. I just wrote in another thread about the annoying alarm going off every time you turn on the ignition AFTER you lock the car. I don't know what fog lights do - what they they do?

The best thing about the base - if you get the automatic version, it has much better fuel economy than the rest of the models.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Here in Canada, we have a mid-range model called the LX which sits right between the DX (aka base) and the Sport. It has enough desirable standard features over the DX that the Sport was a bit overkill.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robodude

If you want the base model, go for it. There is no wrong or right model to choose. It's a matter of personal preference and/or if you have the extra cash. You have the facts before you.
Yes, the Sport model does come with a driver side arm rest.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
Here in Canada, we have a mid-range model called the LX which sits right between the DX (aka base) and the Sport. It has enough desirable standard features over the DX that the Sport was a bit overkill.
I also thought 15" tires on LX version would be better in snow, and cheaper to replace!

Sport Model in Canada does not have paddle shifters, and we can not add Navi, etc; so not as much of a reason to upgrade!

(Sometimes the word sport = higher insurance rates too!)

Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 AM
IMO the base is a much better value for your dollar.

The reason is that all the critical parts of the car (chasis, engine, safety features, etc) are the SAME on ALL models. The extra 5K (in Canada) you pay for the Sport model are for "add-ons" (bodykit, rims, leather steering wheel, security system,etc.), these options don't make the car "perform" any better.

However, I will enjoy the car a lot more with the Sport features (orange color, leather steering wheel, black interior, etc) so the extra $ is worth it to me. Hope this makes sense.

PS. I don't really like the Sport bodykit either but the Fit is a cheap commuter car so I don't expect everything to be perfect.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Oh and to those saying "a base is a base" and "I would never buy a base" ROFL! You people are too funny! The Sport model adds some freakin' wheels and some plastic bumper parts and you talk as if the Sport model is some Ferrari!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
Does the base come with power windows/locks?

Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
Custom order a sport without the body kit, I ended up removing the body kit myself, but the holes on the body are an eye sore, I ended up getting a body kit that fit my car to my likings. But if time isn't an issue, get it custom for a good price.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
OK, so I ended up picking the Sport. I calculated the cost of extras, and by the time I added on the things I wanted (e.g., alloys, remote entry, etc.), it was definitely more economical to buy the Sport model.

I did ask the salesguy if I could get the body kit removed, and he claimed it wasn't doable, but I honestly don't think he checked. Anyone want to trade kits with me?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Armrest

I believe I read that only the Auto's (Sport?) come with the driver's side armrest. I don't think the manuals come with that.

Regardless, a good option is the Optional Armrest Console with the storage area, although I think we lose 2 cup holders by installing that..

Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robodude

Ahh, I was confused... I was thinking center console when you said armrest. Durh.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
BUT our Sport does come with: rear stabilizer bar, lower body kit, fog lights, security alarm system, NICE wheels (16" vs. 15"), USB connection, 2 added tweeters, and a leather steering wheel. For $1900 extra (AT), the larger/nicer wheels alone make it worthwhile...

LX wheels:

Sport wheels:

HELLO! I was all set to sign the papers on an LX until I saw those wheels. That plus seing the Orange Revolution quickly had me signing for a Sport...

Last edited by FitCanada_Girl; 10-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by classact2575
OK, so I ended up picking the Sport. I calculated the cost of extras, and by the time I added on the things I wanted (e.g., alloys, remote entry, etc.), it was definitely more economical to buy the Sport model.

I did ask the salesguy if I could get the body kit removed, and he claimed it wasn't doable, but I honestly don't think he checked. Anyone want to trade kits with me?
classact, what is a shame is people giving you advice on what to do and they don't even own a Fit. You made the right choice and you WILL enjoy the sport more.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by BobbyK
classact, what is a shame is people giving you advice on what to do and they don't even own a Fit. You made the right choice and you WILL enjoy the sport more.
Ditto! I really didn't even look at the Sport, thinking that the $1900 CAD extra wasn't worth it. My brother is the one who swayed me since he "convinced" my dealer to give me $2000 extra on my trade-in, hence I could get the Sport for the same negotiated payments as on the LX!

NOW, having my Sport for 3 weeks and having driven the LX for 5 days last week, I am SO SO SO happy I got the Sport! The body kit I couldn't care less about BUT having the very nice wheels, security alarm, and the ability to play my ipod on my audio system make it the much better option. Oh and getting it in Orange Revolution isn't giving me buyer's remorse either!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Bobby! I think after my last car, ANYTHING would be more enjoyable.

I still am not a huge fan of the underbody... but maybe I'll get used to it. Otherwise y'all might see it up on the Classifieds forum.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Like above - I thought about getting the base just to save a little bit of money but when I saw the Sport, all questions were answered. Also the
fact that it is just a little more money than a base and look at what you
get extra. No one can believe what I spent on the Honda Fit Sport with
all the bells and whistles. That body kit will grow on you! I can't imagine
life without my MR Sport.

Cat:x

Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
I'll post pics when I pick it up (and before I start to make it look dorky by adding seat covers and a parking sticker). (Seat covers are somewhat necessary b/c I ride horses, and it's easier to wash the dirt & hair off in the machine instead of scrubbing the upholstery. )

Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Question Seat Covers?

What kind of seat covers are you getting? Leather or Fabric? Do they make any that custom fit the 09 Fits?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Just fabric... probably the generic kind, I'm not too picky. They just have to match the car.

Quick Reply: Reasons for picking the Base over Sport... am I crazy?