2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone do an "invisible/3M" mask yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Anyone do an "invisible/3M" mask yet?

Looking for a good kit for the GE8. Thanks!

GRIFF

Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
I got the Venture Shield brand on my Fit. Check out my post:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...re-shield.html

Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
1 done here too. didnt go the kit/template route. it is the flat sheet and custom route.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I've finally received my Invisible Mask last Friday.
Will see if I can get it installed this week and post the picts.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by FITinMyPocket
I've finally received my Invisible Mask last Friday.
Will see if I can get it installed this week and post the picts.

Thanks to all.
FIMP,
I'll be curious to see how it goes. Did you get the bumber, hood, and light kit?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Also get the mirrors done. They are susceptible to rock chips too.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I had Ventureshield professional applied to my: entire front hood, entire front headlights (minus "bump"), entire front fenders, most of front bumper/lower lip (whatever they could wrap tape around), and patch on the back of the side mirrors. Took the guy 6.5 hours.

Word of advice, this is one job you may consider getting an expert to do! It's extremely finicky work and easy to wreck. At the cost of the kits, I just wouldn't chance it. If you do, best of luck (really)!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm I bet you can get the hood repainted and get some mirrors with side markers for around $900. I can see getting this done for a $40k+ car, but a Fit?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
considering that the bra costs no more than $400-600.... i see $300 in difference and you won't have to bother dropping the car off for a couple days.

to each their own.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 PM
i just bought the whole front end mask and precut window tint all for 329.99 at this place Paint Protection for your vehicle. Also known as Invisible Bra. Welcome to InvisibleMask.com to me the hardest part of doing tint is to cut the film, but since they will precut them for me ill be able to do it myself ill let you guys know once the product gets here and show you guys the end result

Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I got the hood, fender and mirror kit.
Once done I will decide on whether to order with their bumper kit or the one from XPEL.

Originally Posted by GRIFF
Thanks to all.
FIMP,
I'll be curious to see how it goes. Did you get the bumber, hood, and light kit?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
i just bought the whole front end mask and precut window tint all for 329.99 at this place Paint Protection for your vehicle. Also known as Invisible Bra. Welcome to InvisibleMask.com to me the hardest part of doing tint is to cut the film, but since they will precut them for me ill be able to do it myself ill let you guys know once the product gets here and show you guys the end result
That would be great. Looking forward to it!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 AM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
i had the front bumper, half the hood , mirrors , the door edges, goglight housings and i still have the lip gaurd on .. my dealer installed it for me at no extra charge when i purchased my car in 2007 ... it was barely noticeable but soon it got dingy and started to yellow.. i pulled it off and it left lines so i had to wax it a few times... this is the 3m kit btw fitment is perfect and its great if u have a bad summer season with love bugs but it wont last more then a year..

Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by robodude
Hmm I bet you can get the hood repainted and get some mirrors with side markers for around $900. I can see getting this done for a $40k+ car, but a Fit?
You should go get a quote for getting those areas repainted then you'll see that a clear bra is a good investment. I had extensive paint repairs done on my Mazda3 and it is expensive to get quality body work done. Factory paint, in most cases, is the best route too so I'm trying to avoid any future paint repairs. Yes, to each's own but I see protecting my paint/avoiding rusting on a car I'm hoping to keep for several years as worthwhile. Also note that I'm in Canada so pricing up here varies from the US...

Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by mole177
considering that the bra costs no more than $400-600.... i see $300 in difference and you won't have to bother dropping the car off for a couple days.

to each their own.
Yup, to each's own but I'd like to see posted pics of the DIY job with the Ventureshield. Application is everything so if covering a large area, a professional is the way to go.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
^ i was referring to dropping off to re-paint vs clear bra pro done, not diy.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
My questions are about washing and especially waxing when you have this coating installed...How do you care for the car? How do you apply wax? How do you avoid the edge of the coating when washing or waxing? Doesn't the edge start to peel after a while?

I have too many questions about this product and its usefulness to install it at this point.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by mole177
^ i was referring to dropping off to re-paint vs clear bra pro done, not diy.
Oh ok. Yes, if you go "no clear bra - repaint later" route then you have to consider you'll be out of a car for 2 days minimum. So factor in rental cost, if you don't have a second car.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
My questions are about washing and especially waxing when you have this coating installed...How do you care for the car? How do you apply wax? How do you avoid the edge of the coating when washing or waxing? Doesn't the edge start to peel after a while?

I have too many questions about this product and its usefulness to install it at this point.
You can wash/wax as normal. There will be wax build-up at the edges so I just run my fingernail along it to get rid of this. Ventureshield recommends a special cleaner/waxer called "Plexux" which comes in spray form. I got a free can when the tape was applied. Just spray on, wipe off....couldn't be easier and does an excellent job on bugs/road grime.

The edges should not peel if properly applied. That's why I say "this is a job for a professional". So many things can go wrong that I wouldn't want to chance it. Took my guy 6.5 hours to do my entire front end! Even at that, one side mirror tape is "bucking up" a bit so I'm going to get this touched up (free of charge of course). Applying this stuff to curved surfaces is very tricky...

If you have any more questions, ask away! Had 3M on my Mazda3 for 4 years and now Ventureshield so I have a bit of experience. It really doesn't require any "special maintenance" other than removing bugs/road grime ASAP (or etches into tape)....

Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
My installer recommended a spray polish called "Protect All" (Protect All - Product - Camping World) and gave me a free bottle. He also said "Plexus" is a good product to use.

Quick Reply: Anyone do an "invisible/3M" mask yet?