2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

VTEC... wtf is it?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
DOHC V-TEC :drools:. Love the sound of it.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:20 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neebs
DOHC V-TEC :drools:. Love the sound of it.
unless your planning on doing a k series swap the sohc v-tec will always be there under your hood.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
unless your planning on doing a k series swap the sohc v-tec will always be there under your hood.

K24a2/k20a setup will go in down the road. Just waiting for the fabrications for it.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 AM
wow misinformation!

valve-disabling vtec ("vtec-e"): single cam or dual cam
-2 intake lobes on the cam, one opens a lot, the other hardly at all. Creates a lot of swirling and intake velocity at low speeds. The two valve lifters lock together above a certain rpm and throttle position so both valves are opened by the big lobe so the engine doesn't starve for air.
-exhaust lobes: normal, just like any other engine, both single and dual cam applications.
-applied on: '96-'00 Civic HX; '01-'05 Civic EX; '02-'05 Civic Si; '02-up CR-V; Base RSX; Fit/Jazz up to 2008
-modified application: '06-up Civic (one normal intake lobe, one with same lift but much longer duration; lobes locked DURING cruising conditions as the long duration lobe reduces pumping losses; lobes unlocked when power is needed)

regular vtec (just vtec): single or dual cam
-intake lobes: there are 3 for the two valves. The smaller ones are sized for good low-end torque, the large one for high-end torque. Above a certain rpm if throttle is sufficient the computer will lock the lifters together via oil pressure, and the valves will be driven by the large lobe (and the lifters picked up clear off their low-speed lobes).
-exhaust lobes: normal if single cam. If dual cam, it has 3 and works just like the intake setup.
-applied on: NSX; Civic EX '92-'00; Del Sol; Integra GSR/Type-R; RSX Type-S; Accord V6 '97-up; Civic Si '99-'00, '06-up
-modified application: '09 Fit (only one small intake lobe and one large intake lobe due to space restrictions but operation is the same)

i-vtec only means it has a cam gear the computer can continually advance/retard the intake cam with, via varied oil pressure sent to it. I guess they call it "intelligent" because of the sheer amount of data they have to fit into the computer to cover all possible scenarios given by both multiple valve lift amounts and cam timing positions.

There that should cover the basics

oh and there was never a dash "-" in vtec, its Variable valve lift AND Timing Electronic Control, not Variable valve lift - Timing Electronic Control.

Last edited by polaski; 11-14-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Now I don't feel so bad about losing my Civic HX.
Vtec motor is almost comparable in fuel consumption, Fit is considerably taller causing most of the lower MPG, but the torque curve is definitely fatter =
MO FUN

Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
wow misinformation!

valve-disabling vtec ("vtec-e"): single cam or dual cam
-2 intake lobes on the cam, one opens a lot, the other hardly at all. Creates a lot of swirling and intake velocity at low speeds. The two valve lifters lock together above a certain rpm and throttle position so both valves are opened by the big lobe so the engine doesn't starve for air.
-exhaust lobes: normal, just like any other engine, both single and dual cam applications.
-applied on: '96-'00 Civic HX; '01-'05 Civic EX; '02-'05 Civic Si; '02-up CR-V; Base RSX; Fit/Jazz up to 2008
-modified application: '06-up Civic (one normal intake lobe, one with same lift but much longer duration; lobes locked DURING cruising conditions as the long duration lobe reduces pumping losses; lobes unlocked when power is needed)

regular vtec (just vtec): single or dual cam
-intake lobes: there are 3 for the two valves. The smaller ones are sized for good low-end torque, the large one for high-end torque. Above a certain rpm if throttle is sufficient the computer will lock the lifters together via oil pressure, and the valves will be driven by the large lobe (and the lifters picked up clear off their low-speed lobes).
-exhaust lobes: normal if single cam. If dual cam, it has 3 and works just like the intake setup.
-applied on: NSX; Civic EX '92-'00; Del Sol; Integra GSR/Type-R; RSX Type-S; Accord V6 '97-up; Civic Si '99-'00, '06-up
-modified application: '09 Fit (only one small intake lobe and one large intake lobe due to space restrictions but operation is the same)

i-vtec only means it has a cam gear the computer can continually advance/retard the intake cam with, via varied oil pressure sent to it. '09 fit has one cam, but is equipped with this. I guess they call it "intelligent" because of the sheer amount of data they have to fit into the computer to cover all possible scenarios given by both multiple valve lift amounts and cam timing positions.

There that should cover the basics

oh and there was never a dash "-" in vtec, its Variable valve lift AND Timing Electronic Control, not Variable valve lift - Timing Electronic Control.

Thank you man i was getting more and more pissed at each post until i saw yours.
Thanks for clearing everyone up before i did.

it's VTEC guys c'mon
07-08 have VTEC-e
09's have i-VTEC

Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
This thread cracks me up, WTF is up with this guy lol. VTEC, it's a coreless phone.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
do all 09 comes with a sohc ivtec

Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 PM
v-tec is when your engine goes VVVRRRRROOOOOOMMMMMM!