2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Front air dam rocks...not!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
There's no way it could not restrict airflow. That's why I've avoided doing this. I figure the cooling system in modern cars is already marginal.

How about it? Anybody who's done this have any problems with overheating? Loss of A/C efficiency?
After a few weeks of testing in temps ranging from low 80's to 98 degrees, I've found coolant temps stay pretty consistent in the 177 - 185 degree range. A/C has been just fine, with no change in performance. These figures were all under "city" driving conditions at 48mph and under.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I say, airflow restriction depends on what you're using.

The TurboManGT's grille seems more like a sheet with holes... where as what I put in my Fit is "chicken wire" or... more like a hole with wires.

something like this will reduce airflow, but should be marginal.
Maybe its the picture! Wire mesh appears to be more than one layer, also looks like the welded variety!

I choose to use 1/4" 316 cres woven wire mesh. Material cost is not cheap. But you pay for what you are getting. Wire is .047 and the finish will never wears off.

FYI - a very popular DYI for C6 Corvette. One reputable vendor over at the Corvette Forum charges over $200 for a ready made to fit the 6" x 24" grill opening of the Corvette with the same woven 316 cres wire mesh. The same material I can get for $50 for a piece of 1' x 48".

Also, woven wire mesh protector does not affect cooling of my Fit nor my 400 +hp Corvette - per digitial read outs :- during normal (180*) or congested (190*) traffic conditions!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
I used this two years ago when I first got the fit-

McMaster-Carr

AC no problem- from a non-technical standpoint. Grille and black zip ties still holding strong. Even better- NO dings on the condensor.

Dan

Old 05-20-2011, 07:20 AM
This is what I have on mine, it's a billet grille that I bought from eBay:

myke

Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I say, airflow restriction depends on what you're using.

The TurboManGT's grille seems more like a sheet with holes... where as what I put in my Fit is "chicken wire" or... more like a hole with wires.

something like this will reduce airflow, but should be marginal.
I did the same but painted the mesh with RustOleum. I used zipties to hold it in, works fine.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Per-fit-ion
Maybe its the picture! Wire mesh appears to be more than one layer, also looks like the welded variety!

I choose to use 1/4" 316 cres woven wire mesh. Material cost is not cheap. But you pay for what you are getting. Wire is .047 and the finish will never wears off.

FYI - a very popular DYI for C6 Corvette. One reputable vendor over at the Corvette Forum charges over $200 for a ready made to fit the 6" x 24" grill opening of the Corvette with the same woven 316 cres wire mesh. The same material I can get for $50 for a piece of 1' x 48".

Also, woven wire mesh protector does not affect cooling of my Fit nor my 400 +hp Corvette - per digitial read outs :- during normal (180*) or congested (190*) traffic conditions!
Sorry about the late reply.

What you're seeing, is the A/C condenser fins itself. It was pretty bright out and my camera managed to capture the A/C condenser with it.

I assure you, I was too tired to put the effort into multi-layering it (heck, hadn't even thought about it).

As for the welding... I think that's how its made, criss-crossing wires under a press that is electrified ("Electric resistance welding" or something like that)

Originally Posted by dll932
I did the same but painted the mesh with RustOleum. I used zipties to hold it in, works fine.
I didn't have zipties on hand... and couldn't really find any place to tie them to. The wires managed to squeeze around the clips. I was too tired to do anything but rush it with some left over wire (originally used hold the roll of wire mesh).