2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Regrets about buying Fit because of stiff ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Just got my 09 Sport two weeks ago, and have been impressed by its comfort. So, this weekend I took a long fall foliage ride (700 miles & about 16 hours total) to test its "ride-ability," and have not changed my opinions. We drove from Pittsburgh to New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, taking a combination of back roads and interstates, and have found it to be a total pleasure to drive. At 55 years old, I am no longer a spring chicken, so I take my comfort seriously. In most cars, I would have ended the ride limping with lower back pain, but I was totally refreshed with the Fit. I even took a 20 minute snooze at a rest stop, and slept comfortably in a fully reclined drivers seat.

My other car is a 2005 BMW X3, which has a firm ride, but is certainly not uncomfortable. It is not as comfortable as the Fit. The car that I just sold - a 2005 Mustang GT - was absolutely not built for comfort, and does not even belong in the discussion. The Fit doesn't have the power or the refinement of the BMW, nor the raw muscle of the Mustang, but it is just as much fun to drive - if not more. Also, considering what I paid for the Beemer, I could have bought three Fits for the same price. From what I've seen, it has utility, comfort, and quality comparable to the BMW, and gas mileage that blows both of the other cars away. I may even sell the BMW and buy another Fit.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woode
Just got my 09 Sport two weeks ago, and have been impressed by its comfort. So, this weekend I took a long fall foliage ride (700 miles & about 16 hours total) to test its "ride-ability," and have not changed my opinions. We drove from Pittsburgh to New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, taking a combination of back roads and interstates, and have found it to be a total pleasure to drive. At 55 years old, I am no longer a spring chicken, so I take my comfort seriously. In most cars, I would have ended the ride limping with lower back pain, but I was totally refreshed with the Fit. I even took a 20 minute snooze at a rest stop, and slept comfortably in a fully reclined drivers seat.

My other car is a 2005 BMW X3, which has a firm ride, but is certainly not uncomfortable. It is not as comfortable as the Fit. The car that I just sold - a 2005 Mustang GT - was absolutely not built for comfort, and does not even belong in the discussion. The Fit doesn't have the power or the refinement of the BMW, nor the raw muscle of the Mustang, but it is just as much fun to drive - if not more. Also, considering what I paid for the Beemer, I could have bought three Fits for the same price. From what I've seen, it has utility, comfort, and quality comparable to the BMW, and gas mileage that blows both of the other cars away. I may even sell the BMW and buy another Fit.
Good testimony! It's amazing how this car is winning so many people over with great enthusiasm.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 PM
CBX
My Fit replaced a BMW 328i convertible.

The 328 always provided a good feel for the road, which is carried over in the Fit.

The main thing lacking in my BMW was that it wasn't a Honda! I am pleased with my choice.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:07 AM
after 1200 miles in approx 3 weeks here are my ride impressions.

over smooth paved roads, smooth ride.
over hwy (black pavement) smooth ride.
over hwy (grey and grooved lines in the cement) it's a very jarring ride. you can def feel the bounces

otherwise in terms of the ride i have no complaints.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Black01
GD's are 2008 and below Honda Fit/Jazz.
Which model year begins Generation 2 Fits-- 2008 or 2009?

Why does GD refer to 2008 and below--is it an acronym for something?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by jenhonski

GD and GE are chassis codes assigned by Honda. Every Honda model has one. GE's (I'm not sure what gen that is) are new in '09 to North America, but have existed in Japan (and probably Europe) for a few years at least.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree the Fit is pretty firm. I don't regret buying it, but it's on par with my Miata in terms of impact stiffness. Can't imagine making the suspension less compliant with firmer springs an shocks.

Some of that is due to the short wheelbase, as mentioned. Some road irregularities upset short wheelbase cars. It makes for a busy ride, in addition to the hard impacts from the lack of compliance.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
GE is the second generation, released in japan and parts of Asia last year 2009 model year for the US. All 2009s are GE8s for the US. This current Gen is being released in Europe this year. Another example is the civic has had chassis codes EF, EG, EK, EP etc.

Bottom line is if you buy an 09 Fit it will be a GE.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski

It may be a coincidence, but GD could stand for "Gen DOMESTIC 3" since we've had the Fit 3 years now, and GE could be "Gen EUROPE 8" since the Jazz has been in Europe for 8 years now.

That's just how I think of it, anyway.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Hell, mine is not even here yet and I am already planning my mods to stiffen the suspension more.

Meee Toooo